Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yes. And the butterfly effect was the pigeon that went back in time and released Eddie, thus altering future events in the same timeline and causing married Peter in the present to automagically shift to single Peter in the present.
    The stupidity of that in One Moment in Time is amazing.

Actual footage of Quesada narrating it at Marvel:

Anyway, here's the simple thing. The continuity happened one way until OMD, and per the deal Mephisto said a "small part will remember" and then he changed time, and OMIT simply showed how things are remembered in the new continuity.

So all you need is Peter and MJ to get the original versions and they can remember their marriage, the original deal and then the altered timeline memories on top of that. Then going forward you can simply ignore or skate over "One Moment in Time" forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Rather than undoing OMD, Marvel should end Marvel-616.
    "It all goes," huh?

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sure you meant the MU...but anyway I don't know what "butterfly effect" you mean here.

Claremont's story undoing AVENGERS #200 is pretty good. There are plenty of other examples. The expression "turn a sow's ear into a silk purse" exists for a reason.

Agreed on this.
    Claremont didn't undo Avengers #200. He addressed the unfortunate implications.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "It all goes," huh?

I guess Spider-Man's going to have to move into Avengers Tower again...

Fantastic Member

OMD stopped May Parker (Peter and MJ's daughter) from being born right? So undoing it would bring May Parker back?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    OMD stopped May Parker (Peter and MJ's daughter) from being born right? So undoing it would bring May Parker back?
    May Parker was already stillborn at the end of the Clone Saga. Judging by RYV, the daughter they would have had if OMD hadn't happened would be their second child, Anna-May "Annie" Parker. That said, if undoing OMD gives Peter and Mary Jane the chance to start a family . . . so much the better.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm still uncomfortable with Mephisto having that type of time warp/reality warp power to begin with. (in other words, why hasn't he done it elsewhere with other heroes/villains?)

I'm not interested in "restoring" the marriage.. and I'm also not interested in killing aunt may.. Get Strange involved, Loki, whoever it takes..

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    When OMD happened, some things were changed; like Peter losing the powers of the Other. Eventually, those powers ended up in someone who looked better with them, Kaine.
    I remember Spider Island referencing that he still had his stingers but explicitly refused to use them.

It was less that OMD removed them and more of "most writers forgot that he even had them and after awhile they just stopped trying."

There's got to be a point coming up soon, maybe about 5 years from now, where a good section of regular Spidey readers are people who have come in after One More Day and absolutely do not care about any of this or the Spider-Marriage. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel are banking on it.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    There's got to be a point coming up soon, maybe about 5 years from now, where a good section of regular Spidey readers are people who have come in after One More Day and absolutely do not care about any of this or the Spider-Marriage.
    That's never going to happen. For a variety of reasons.

1) The marriage lasted between 1987-2007 a period of high sales and several great runs, including one great run (JMS) right before the retcon that removed it. The period after the removal of marriage has had ordinary success but nothing truly exceptional to override or overcome the earlier operiod.

2) Readers who read the JMS run are in fact young millennials who came in to the comics from the Raimi movies and came to love and accept the Spider-Marriage. And that readership given that they were 10-12 or younger than that when the marriage went away, essentially meant that Marvel Comics formed a blood vendetta with the Spider-Man Milennial generation, and that generation has passed on that vendetta to the Zoomer and Zilennial generation.

3) Several of Spider-Man's best selling comics -- Kraven's Last Hunt, the Wedding, Todd MacFarlane's collaboration with Michelinie featured a married Spider-Man, which means historically the married Spider-Man is forever.

The fact is that a small percentage of consumers of Spider-Man in other media (merchandise -- the number one media of Spider-Man by far, movies, cartoons, games) will come to read comics. And of the lot, only a smaller subset become hardcore 616 Spider-Man fans. The ones who become 616 Spider-Man fans will care about continuity, legacy, look up classic stories. And the minute they peruse the "Best-Of" lists and find KLH and other JMS era in that collection, they will learn about the marriage.

Historically the marriage era has had more eyeballs than all of OMD, from an empirical standpoint, and as time passes, more and more new hardcore Spider-Man fans will read and familiarize with the marriage era simply in terms of revisiting classic comics.

So the fact is the marriage is forever. It's an immovable and it's not ever going to be gotten over. And Nick Spencer's run is doing the very opposite of that.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel are banking on it.
    Writes in the BND era said they expected the controversy to fade in a year but it hasn't. And back in 2018, Mark Waid admitted in a podcast that the marriage issue will always be the elephant in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    There's got to be a point coming up soon, maybe about 5 years from now, where a good section of regular Spidey readers are people who have come in after One More Day and absolutely do not care about any of this or the Spider-Marriage. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel are banking on it.
    Spider-man was married for twenty years (not counting various times MJ was written out of the book). One More Day is now 15 years old. I remember one of the big reasons people used to say that they couldn't get rid of the marriage was because it was such a big portion of Spider-man's history. Anybody that still uses that argument is lying to you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Anybody that still uses that argument is lying to you.
    Jameson laugh.jpg

Look up the dictionary definition of "lie".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Spider-man was married for twenty years (not counting various times MJ was written out of the book). One More Day is now 15 years old. I remember one of the big reasons people used to say that they couldn't get rid of the marriage was because it was such a big portion of Spider-man's history. Anybody that still uses that argument is lying to you.
    And yet Into the Spider-Verse is not only a thing, but was more widely distributed then the comics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Back in the day, they literally gave Vision two different origins and said they were both true due to time paradoxes. I fail to see why this couldn't also work for OMD.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm still uncomfortable with Mephisto having that type of time warp/reality warp power to begin with. (in other words, why hasn't he done it elsewhere with other heroes/villains?)

I'm not interested in "restoring" the marriage.. and I'm also not interested in killing aunt may.. Get Strange involved, Loki, whoever it takes..
    Funny enough, he might just be doing what you suggest with the upcoming Heroes Reborn event spinning out of Jason Aaron's Avengers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.