Default What is your preferred length for a t.v. series?

When it comes to length of a t.v. series, what is your ideal length? Four to six seasons? Longer than that? Also, how many episodes should those seasons have? Do you prefer short seasons of eight to ten episodes? Or do you like the 22 to 24 episode length? Or is it a case by case basis?

Superheroes show I am learning I am liking between 6 to 12 episodes seasons. I like Superheroes shows to be shorter because special effects are really effected by season length. I think flash would be much better show at 8 episodes per season. I love how the new superman shows looks if it can keep that quality I will be happy.

It depends on the show really.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

as many as the writers can do while keeping the quality consistent

Depends on the show. I like What Mandalorian does where each episode is however long that story takes. As far as episodes again depends on the show. I wish wandavision was more episodes and longer. While the Marvel Netflix shows could have been 8 episodes and done. So who knows if Wandavision was long i might be saying I wish it was shorter. When a show leaves you wanted more it's doing something right. As long as it ends in a way that's fulfilling and doesn't feel rushed.

So for now I'll go 8-10 episodes and each episode is as long as that story takes. So the Mando model

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

5-7 seasons of 10-13 episodes each for dramas. Pretty much unlimited for half-hour comedies, if they'e worth it.

Around 7 or even 10 Seasons if I really like the show and characters. 10 to 13 episodes for a serialized story.

Around 20 episodes if there is some standalones and quality filler ones. It really depends on how much I like the characters and the actors, so I can watch them in filler if their chemistry is strong. I'm rewathing Stargate SG1 right now and even the lesser episodes are fun.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-01-2021 at 10:01 AM.

5 to 10 seasons of no more than 13 episodes.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't think there should be any limit. IMO, the best stories have no ending. I want 20-odd episodes per season. I prefer series to have more than one storyline running at any given moment. I want each episode to be about something different, but at the same time have major arcs that run throughout a season or throughout the entire series. And generally, I think dramas should be at least 40 minutes per episode. Shorter than that and not enough is happening.

Exceptions happen, sure, and of course, budget is an issue. Stranger Things might be really awesome, but limiting it to 8-9 episodes and one plot per season really stunts things. So much more could be explored in the world, and I really miss having that possibility. Mandalorian balances things very well, but still, I want more.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

As someone who is more of a movie fan rather than television, 1 season. In some ways it's the perfect balance between a movie and tv show because you have more room to develop your characters and less room to potentially screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When it comes to length of a t.v. series, what is your ideal length? Four to six seasons? Longer than that? Also, how many episodes should those seasons have? Do you prefer short seasons of eight to ten episodes? Or do you like the 22 to 24 episode length? Or is it a case by case basis?
    Depends on the show. Some have run their course in three seasons. Others, I'd like to know what these people are doing twenty years later.
    Power with Girl is better.