View Poll Results: If we get a Black Superman, what would you prefer?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Race-bent Clark Kent/Kal-El

10 13.16%
  • Existing black Superman (Calvin Ellis, Val Zod etc.)

57 75.00%
  • Completely original character

9 11.84%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dude no one is going to be going “why is Superman white?” it will be the opposite. This isn’t like GL where most kids only knew the DCAU John Stewart incarnation. Superman has been everywhere: Comics, TV, movies, cartoons, games, people know what he “looks like”. Even as this movie comes out there will still be content coming out where Superman is white.
    You're missing the entire point. No kid wants to watch a movie based on the premise of Superman being black and then go read a comic where Superman is white.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You're missing the entire point. No kid wants to watch a movie based on the premise of Superman being black and then go read a comic where Superman is white.
    Most moviegoers don’t bother to pick up comics anyway so it’s a moot point. Despite the popularity of heroes on the big screen there’s little growth in the actual comics sales. There have been a few exceptions but they’re rare.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The decision to make a black Superman film will also reflect in the sales of comic books. You can either capitalize on this and elevate pre-existing black Supermen or make it extremely jarring when people pick up a Clark Kent Superman book.
    I wouldn't have too much hope for movie successes leading to bigger comic sales, because it's not like Iron-Man is consistently at the top of the sales charts despite how beloved RDJ's version is.

Most moviegoers don’t bother to pick up comics anyway so it’s a moot point. Despite the popularity of heroes on the big screen there’s little growth in the actual comics sales. There have been a few exceptions but they’re rare.
    Indeed, Aquaman made a billion and I don't think they announced a title for him post-FS yet have they?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't have too much hope for movie successes leading to bigger comic sales, because it's not like Iron-Man is consistently at the top of the sales charts despite how beloved RDJ's version is.

Indeed, Aquaman made a billion and I don't think they announced a title for him post-FS yet have they?
    Nope. I thought for sure he’d have a book for that exact reason, but I was wrong.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

DC doesn't seem to share your sentiment as the development of The Flash TV show was the entire reason Wally West was made black in the New 52.

DC doesn't seem to share your sentiment as the development of The Flash TV show was the entire reason Wally West was made black in the New 52.
    Yes because that worked out SO well

Yes because that worked out SO well
    He's still an existing character that developed into Kid Flash, so... yeah.

He's still an existing character that developed into Kid Flash, so... yeah.
    Aside from the backlash to his initial portrayal, the further damage to classic Wally West and it helping to lead to his current predicament by making him even more redundant and comic sales not seeming to have a big increase from show viewers...nah, not that great of a situation for the Flash IP overall.

Aside from the backlash to his initial portrayal, the further damage to classic Wally West and it helping to lead to his current predicament by making him even more redundant and comic sales not seeming to have a big increase from show viewers...nah, not that great of a situation for the Flash IP overall.
    The backlash was because he was replacing OG Wally. DC knows not to do things of that sort now. They still saw a need to capitalize off of synergy, much like with the Shazam! ongoing. And "further damage to classic Wally West" is hyperbolic, he's endured to the point of becoming DC's main Flash again.

Astonishing Member

Because race isn’t something you can just swap like it’s no big deal. Hell your own example is very contentious, lots of people complain about Jesus’ getting whitewashed. I don’t even want to touch that because that’s a whole other can of worms.

Clark’s upbringing as a kid who grew up in a rural small town Americana setting is going to play out very differently if he’s a race other than white. The story changes, now it’s going to be about racism in some way.

And also? I like the way Clark is. I like him being white. I don’t think that’s something that needs to change. Especially when there are so many other characters out there that could just as easily represent different groups. I certainly am not looking forward to the fighting this is going to bring about what race Superman “should” be on top of all the other nonsense we have to deal with like “is he too overpowered? Is he boring? Is he relevant? Is he a better villain than hero?”. It’s a toxicity baked into the Flash and GL fandoms at this point that will now be a part of my favorite franchise.
    Complaints of Jesus being whitewashed only come up when 1) it is argued that Jesus can't be portrayed as other races, 2) the whitewashing is used to defend racism, and 3) is argued to be a historical fact. The second and third are non-applicable in Superman's case, and the first is more applicable to Superman now than he would be if he was portrayed as different races.

The most important part of Clark's origin are his Kryptonian roots and the values he learns from the Kents. To the extent that being black would change his life in Smallville, there is already precedent for it. Clark being born with a different racial identity than those around him is already something he has to reflect on due to his roots. There are also other themes in Clark's story that already complement that, like his struggle to connect with his ancestors whom he doesn't know much about and his adoptive parents who love him as their own.

Finally, the word "need" is a strong word. I don't think Clark's race "needs to change", just that it wouldn't be a problem if it does and might have even some net positive effects. Even then, it's not like Clark's race would change everywhere - we are only talking about one version of Clark and not Superman being turned from "always white" to "always black" (or whatever other race they cast for this film).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 03-01-2021 at 01:53 PM.

The backlash was because he was replacing OG Wally. DC knows not to do things of that sort now. They still saw a need to capitalize off of synergy, much like with the Shazam! ongoing. And "further damage to classic Wally West" is hyperbolic, he's endured to the point of becoming DC's main Flash again.
    Why do they need to capitalize off of synergy when it doesn't seem to lead to any increase in sales? Where's Aquaman's book when he made a billion at the box office, and why isn't he Polynesian like Mamoa?

The Shazam ongoing didn't pull anything from the movie, the movie pulled stuff from Geoff Johns' origin story.

Kids don't read comics these days. They have video games (on their phones) and movies and other stuff to occupy their attention. You will rarely see an increase in sales and movie synergy is more often than not a waste of time, chasing an unlikely dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The most important part of Clark's origin are his Kryptonian roots and the values he learns from the Kents. To the extent that being black would change his life in Smallville, there is already precedent for it. Clark being born with a different racial identity than those around him is already something he has to reflect on due to his roots. There are also other themes in Clark's story that already complement that, like his struggle to connect with his ancestors whom he doesn't know much about and his adoptive parents who love him as their own.

Finally, the word "need" is a strong word. I don't think Clark's race "needs to change", just that it wouldn't be a problem if it does and might have even some net positive effects. Even then, it's not like Clark's race would change everywhere - we are only talking about one version of Clark and not Superman being turned from "always white" to "always black" (or whatever other race they cast for this film).
    A huge point of Clark Kent is that he blends in because he's white. There's no net positive here, Calvin Ellis is literally everything people who want a "white Clark Kent" are asking for.

Why do they need to capitalize off of synergy when it doesn't seem to lead to any increase in sales? Where's Aquaman's book when he made a billion at the box office, and why isn't he Polynesian like Mamoa?

The Shazam ongoing didn't pull anything from the movie, the movie pulled stuff from Geoff Johns' origin story.

Kids don't read comics these days. They have video games (on their phones) and movies and other stuff to occupy their attention. You will rarely see an increase in sales and movie synergy is more often than not a waste of time, chasing an unlikely dream.
    Aquaman has a book in development as stated by Joshua Williamson.

Kids not reading comics isn't an excuse, DC regularly attempts to attract new readers, they're not gonna waste a black Superman.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Movies still make a difference. Miles wouldn't be able to carry a PS5 game if more people didn't know his character after spiderverse. We've had plenty Superman movies with Clark Kent, it's time to introduce a new character instead of just race bending Clark.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Movies still make a difference. Miles wouldn't be able to carry a PS5 game if more people didn't know his character after spiderverse. We've had plenty Superman movies with Clark Kent, it's time to introduce a new character instead of just race bending Clark.
    That's true, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse did wonders for making Miles Morales into a household name to the point where his game sold 4 million copies in a month and a half.