View Poll Results: If we get a Black Superman, what would you prefer?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Race-bent Clark Kent/Kal-El

10 13.16%
  • Existing black Superman (Calvin Ellis, Val Zod etc.)

57 75.00%
  • Completely original character

9 11.84%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    We’re getting a black Hawkman. Will comics Carter be reincarnated in a black body?
    I mean, it's Hawkman, so the answer is yes and no at the same time. He'll be reincarnated in two bodies at once, but one will be flashing back to his ancestor's previous life on Thanagar while another is flashbacking through all his incarnations including a future version who will also be contemporary with another Hawkman who possesses two souls while...

Hawkman is complicated is what I'm saying.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    It very much sounds like you're projecting. Your entire "white people fear being erased" thing falls apart because a white Superman has a live-action show on air. And, frankly, most people aren't overly paranoid to that absurd degree. No one should be losing their minds over a black Kryptonian being adapted after over 70 years of a white Clark Kent onscreen.
    Yes, a white Superman will continue to have a live-action show and comics and pretty much everything else. But the movie will dominate most, if not all, the discource around Superman in society when it comes out. Blockbuster movies tend to dominate the conversation around characters, especially reboots and reimaginings.

Again, its not the idea of a 'black Superman' or 'black Kryptonian' that a lot of people on this thread have a problem with (though I'm sure there are some who do). Its the idea of race-bending the original Clark Kent Superman. No one will lose their minds if we get Calvin Ellis as Superman. I mean, yeah, there will be heated debate and discussion, but the discource will on the whole be a lot more positive.

As far as people not being 'paranoid' to an absurd degree...I wish that's the world we lived in. But its not. All you need to do is check out the news, and editorials, and online discource in general...the Western world, and the US, are in the middle of a so-called 'culture war', and media representation, especially things like replacing/racebending white characters to become POC or vice versa, is very much at the heart of it.

Hell, even 10-15 years ago, if someone decided to race-bend Clark Kent, there'd be people against it, but it'd be like "Oh okay...let's see where they go with it". Even sceptics might have accepted it as an interesting experiment in colorblind casting, or a purely creative decision. Today, its impossible to keep the politics out of it.

BANNED

My thing is that WB will no longer be interested in creating a Justice League-centered universe with diverse characters anymore--

Instead, they'll just keep doing different bendings of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash, since those logos/brands are now recognizable and not going to scare investors (like with Green Lantern these days apparently).

Maybe you'll get cameos (Hawkman) or characters who are not associated with the core League (Black Adam, Shazam, Static etc.), but you won't get the same level of interaction or cohesiveness or development as the MCU Avengers.

I guess if you go that route, anyone can feel comfortable buying merchandise of or cosplaying as "Superman," "Batman," "Wonder Woman," "Aquaman," or "Flash," regardless of what they look like. The brands won't be associated with one specific look. So anyone who wants to feel strong can feel like they're represented by the Super logo, or anyone who wants to feel fast can feel like they're represented by the Flash logo.

We're at the same time getting both more and less diverse...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    My thing is that WB will no longer be interested in creating a Justice League-centered universe with diverse characters anymore--

Instead, they'll just keep doing different bendings of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash, since those logos/brands are now recognizable and not going to scare investors (like with Green Lantern these days apparently).

Maybe you'll get cameos (Hawkman) or characters who are not associated with the core League (Black Adam, Shazam, Static etc.), but you won't get the same level of interaction or cohesiveness or development as the MCU Avengers.

I guess if you go that route, anyone can feel comfortable buying merchandise of or cosplaying as "Superman," "Batman," "Wonder Woman," "Aquaman," or "Flash," regardless of what they look like. The brands won't be associated with one specific look. So anyone who wants to feel strong can feel like they're represented by the Super logo, or anyone who wants to feel fast can feel like they're represented by the Flash logo.

If and i hope black adam work.I am banking on them bringing the justice society.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Eh, I'm burned out a bit on the importance of the interaction and cohesiveness and development of the MCU Avengers. A Justice League-centered universe isn't as exciting as a slew of unconnected solo movies. At least to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I'm burned out a bit on the importance of the interaction and cohesiveness and development of the MCU Avengers. A Justice League-centered universe isn't as exciting as a slew of unconnected solo movies. At least to me.
    I get what you mean.

I was actually on board with Snyder's plan though, because it was kind of a story of the DCU (centered around Superman and Batman) culminating in the Justice League, rather than a collection of solo films building to JL. And now they're doing the (largely) unconnected solo movie thing, since their big JL plan kinda whimpered out with the theatrical cut.