Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Default X-Men Monday #97 Simon Spurrier and the Ways of X

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/03/01/x-...rier-way-of-x/

This is an excellent and very enlightening interview.

What stood out to me, in an interview where almost every idea was thought-provoking, is this paragraph:

"Look, it’s very natural, and very human, to want to explicate every single tiny detail of a shared universe. How this works, what that does, what goes on the map here, what are the rules for this. It’s fun and we all do it. But go too far and it’s death. It’s literal narrative death. One of the many unexpected obligations of a storyteller is knowing that being specific isn’t always smart."

It speaks to the ideas about how we as readers can ultimately shoot ourselves in the entertainment brain/foot when we allow our expectations get the better of us.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-01-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/03/01/x-...rier-way-of-x/

This is an excellent and very enlightening interview.

What stood out to me, in an interview where almost every idea was thought-provoking, is this paragraph:

"Look, it’s very natural, and very human, to want to explicate every single tiny detail of a shared universe. How this works, what that does, what goes on the map here, what are the rules for this. It’s fun and we all do it. But go too far and it’s death. It’s literal narrative death. One of the many unexpected obligations of a storyteller is knowing that being specific isn’t always smart."

It speaks to the ideas about how we as readers can ultimately shoot ourselves in the entertainment brain/foot when we allow our expectations get the better of us.
    I think this is going to be very interesting and I’m up for the trip.
    I’m interested in Spurrier’s Britishness, we do produce a certain style of writer who enjoy deconstructing comics and we haven’t had one of those writing an X-Book for a while.

I wonder if this is where Moira might show up? Krakoa is her baby, she might have an opinion on its progress?

Astonishing Member

It also sounds like both a warning against confusing complexity with quality when it comes to creating or expanding works of fiction and being creatively held back by the demand to fit a story perfectly into a larger work of fiction.

The former for example is something i've seen as criticism of the current Excalibur series. Where the the whole subject of mutant magic seems thought out with a lot of complexity, but many readers seem confused at how it's supposed to work and more importantly what's the point is for the characters and story, especialy since they also feel the story itself is lacking and too many characters in it are underused.

Spurrier himself managed to create complex yet simple worlds in many of his indie works like The Spire, Cry Havoc, Motherland and Godshaper non which lasted more than 12 issues but managed to complete their stories and leave the world with their functional and explained systems.
    Godshaper in particular ends with the main character flat out uninterested in learning the deeper meanings behind why his world is the way it is, in favor of just living a good free life the way he does.

The later is the classic shared universe trapping where people will always be able to find some continuity error or ask why "x wasn't involved in y" despite existing in the same universe or general area. Which even i admit is something a writer sometimes has to ignore as issue (to some degree) in order for it not be in the way of the story.
    Though the problem is when other writers use the absence of a shared universe interaction to use it against characters.
    Like the classic "Why didn't the Avengers/X-men showed up when the X-men/Avengers needed them" situation.

At least that's how it sounds to me. Also i do not think the former is actualy a criticism of Spurrier against Excalibur, but just an example i got reminded of in my personal critic of the title.

Anyway. Spurrier interviews often are quite a delight. I remember his interviews back from X-men Legacy and X-force in which he often found a way to express things like "I can't tell you the whole plot and it's twists in advanced folks" or "It will be explained in time or when my work gets cut short.".
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-01-2021 at 07:24 AM.

This is right on the nose and well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I wonder if this is where Moira might show up? Krakoa is her baby, she might have an opinion on its progress?
    That would be an interesting direction and she has to show up sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    The former is something i've seen as criticism of the current Excalibur series. Where the the whole subject of mutant magic seems thought out with a lot of complexity but many readers being confused at how it's supposed to work and more importantly what's the point is, especialy since they also feel the story itself is lacking and too many characters in it are underused.
    I'm really excited to learn more about "mutant magic", I can't help but wonder if it is going to function like the mutant power synergy stuff we've been seeing in the books lately.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 03-01-2021 at 07:24 AM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

If it wasn't for Spurrier I would have zero interest in this but in him I trust.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I'm really excited to learn more about "mutant magic", I can't help but wonder if it is going to function like the mutant power synergy stuff we've been seeing in the books lately.
    That's fine. But others have felt the opposite and voiced it as criticism which i share and therefor i feel like part of Spurriers opinion on the problem of overcomplexity for the sake of it can apply to Excalibur too. Even if it wasn't his target.

But again, nothing wrong with enjoying it, as it's a matter of taste.

But again, nothing wrong with enjoying it, as it's a matter of taste.
    Yeah, Fallen Angels and Excalibur have been the low points in this new era, IMHO. However, my curiosity is piqued in regards to mutant magic, chimeras and power synergy. These ideas could really bring some fresh hi-jinx heretofore undreamt of in previous runs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited for the potential these concepts have, even if their origins came from books that weren't my favorite.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Yeah, Fallen Angels and Excalibur have been the low points in this new era, IMHO. However, my curiosity is piqued in regards to mutant magic, chimeras and power synergy. These ideas could really bring some fresh hi-jinx heretofore undreamt of in previous runs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm excited for the potential these concepts have, even if their origins came from books that weren't my favorite.
    Ah i understand. Though i personaly feel like the whole mutant magic thing is too much of an attempt at overmystifying the X-gene and it's carriers (the "X is a super powerfull magic symbol" thing is particular too much on the nose for me), same for "mutant technology", but i also admit that syngergy between different super powers or synergy between super powers and other form of super natural powers can be interesting concepts to explore.
    Albeit they aren't as new as the current X-men writers seemingly want to make them look.

Great interview! Makes me look forward to this book all the more.

Incredible Member

Ah i understand. Though i personaly feel like the whole mutant magic thing is too much of an attempt at overmystifying the X-gene and it's carriers (the "X is a super powerfull magic symbol" thing is particular too much on the nose for me)
    It is very very much on the nose. But thats part of why it works for me. Its very much on the nose because it is a varation of symbols that reach all te way back to druids and anceint times in real world. We see it as an "X" But really the symbol of the image "X" not as a letter but as a symbol has been used since dawn of time. At its simplest its a line with another line crossing it. You cant even say the lines or the crossing have to be in the exact same spot and lengths because people have unique handwritting and not everyones font is exactly the same but we recognize it as the letter "X". Here are a few other examples of "X" as a symbol in of itself not as a letter in religion and magic. The rune Gebo (which actually corresponds most closely with our letter g) looks like an x. If you turn a Christian cross it looks like an x. The "X" has a long symbolic history that we just dont think about. even into modern times. The x as a symbol on skull and crossbones. The x meaning a strike in baseball. X means multiplication (and math is a magic onto itself in a lot of ways). We look at the X as a letter and not a symbol. Thats why I think it being spot on is so perfect and makes it more realistic. If your curious about other "X" meanings.... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...t-the-letter-x

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I have to admit...I wasn't enthused about WoX but Spurrier really sold his concept and vision to me with this interview. I may have to suck-up my dislike for the art and give it a worthy shot. Hopefully he will be afforded the time and space to truly and deeply explore his Big Idea(s) because they feel very relevant to the overall Krakoan Society tapestry.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-01-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I have to admit...I wasn't enthused about WoX but Spurrier really sold his concept and vision to me with this interview. I may have to suck-up my dislike for the art and give it a worthy shot. Hopefully he will be afforded the time and space to truly and deeply explore his ideas because they feel very relevant to the overall Krakoan Society tapestry.
    To be fair, I’ve been a Kurt fan for 41 years, so I’d probably read any book with him featured. But Spurrier is touching on so many aspects of Krakoa that I was feeling hadn’t been touched on and needed to be considered that I’d be reading Way of X irregardless of Kurt being in the cast.

I love Spurrier's interviews.

Definitely feeling like the last page reveal of issue 1 is going to be that Legion is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Definitely feeling like the last page reveal of issue 1 is going to be that Legion is involved.
    Legion or Moira. But it’s something big.