Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I have to agree with some of the other comments. I think very little takes me out of the immersion of the show quite like the poor quality of wirework here. Sure, wirework is almost essential in these types of shows, but we're getting real close to Bryan Singer-level of sloppiness here, where it looks like the actors are hoping they don't literally fly ass-up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The comic was rushed but the TV series has gone in an opposite direction which also didn't work.

As you rightly pointed out, the name of the series is "Jupiter's Legacy" emphasis on the Legacy aspect because the story wasn't meant to be about the Utopian and the first heroes.

The TV series didn't do Brandon and Chloe any justice at all. Both these characters play very,very key roles in the story (they are basically the main characters) but the tv series hasn't set them up for their future roles at all.
    My thoughts after the first episode was that Brandon and Chloe were very much being maneuvered to take up the main roles. And yet, there are some episodes where one of them (or dare I say, maybe even both of them) don't feature in the episode at all, I think. Or if they're present, they're so minimal that their presence is damn near forgettable. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I have to agree with some of the other comments. I think very little takes me out of the immersion of the show quite like the poor quality of wirework here. Sure, wirework is almost essential in these types of shows, but we're getting real close to Bryan Singer-level of sloppiness here, where it looks like the actors are hoping they don't literally fly ass-up first.
    We got spoiled by Marvel and others throwing 200 million at shows. lol. Go watch some Inhumans,Freeform Marvel stuff or CW shows to recalibrate to remind you that oh yeah it does get this bad. I think is going to bode well for the future that companies are going to have to step up if they try to make a superhero show but stuff in the middle period of the growth it is going feel bad. I don't know how long the non Superman CW stuff can last in world with HBO and Marvel put out shows with movie quality. Honestly don't think Jupiter's Legacy stuff is that bad it is just the norm is becoming better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    We got spoiled by Marvel and others throwing 200 million at shows. lol. Go watch some Inhumans,Freeform Marvel stuff or CW shows to recalibrate to remind you that oh yeah it does get this bad. I think is going to bode well for the future that companies are going to have to step up if they try to make a superhero show but stuff in the middle period of the growth it is going feel bad. I don't know how long the non Superman CW stuff can last in world with HBO and Marvel put out shows with movie quality. Honestly don't think Jupiter's Legacy stuff is that bad it is just the norm is becoming better.
    Why did you say that name?!

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

The comic was rushed but the TV series has gone in an opposite direction which also didn't work.

As you rightly pointed out, the name of the series is "Jupiter's Legacy" emphasis on the Legacy aspect because the story wasn't meant to be about the Utopian and the first heroes.

The TV series didn't do Brandon and Chloe any justice at all. Both these characters play very,very key roles in the story (they are basically the main characters) but the tv series hasn't set them up for their future roles at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    My thoughts after the first episode was that Brandon and Chloe were very much being maneuvered to take up the main roles. And yet, there are some episodes where one of them (or dare I say, maybe even both of them) don't feature in the episode at all, I think. Or if they're present, they're so minimal that their presence is damn near forgettable. Damn.
    Yeah, that's why I'm of the opinion that the children shouldn't even had been part of the equation until late 2nd season and on. Clearly the show wants to establish what kind of people the Union were, prior to the events of the comic, but it does so at the expense of their offspring.

Just change the name of the show, to Jupiter's Kingdom, and the go in chronological order from 1929 to the present. Make the entire first season about the Union from their inception to before the Vietnam War, including an explanation as to why powers are spawning everywhere. Then season 2 would be the Vietnam War, the Cold War, the downward spiral of Skyfox's relationship with the Union, Flare's failings and then ending with the birth of the next generation (Brandon, Chloe, Petra, Jules, Hutch, etc). Season 3 would be us seeing the previous generation from the perspectives of their children from high school to college age. And so on.

Slowly build up the characters and their relationships, before the fallout. This tries do everything at once, but accomplishes little.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 05-09-2021 at 03:57 AM.

Why did you say that name?!
    Don't forget they had that joint on Imax.

Never forget that they cut the main characters hair to avoid doing special effects

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I totally get that and agree that we have been spoiled by bigger budgets and movie level quality now. Streamers especially are throwing hundreds of millions at shows battling for subscribers and attention in a crowded marketplace. And I could forgive cheaper looking CGI, or more basic level choreography etc. if everything else was amazing. But I have to deal with that AND a dragged out origin story. Unlikeable gratuitous Chloe snorting random drugs for like 20 minutes an episode? I get it she's awful and a druggy. Speed it UP. You are giving me nothing to grab onto as any hope for it getting better. Getting a second season or more is not a given. Especially on Netflix they like to churn out these series in volume and just start over if they don't stand up.

That aside I don't HATE it. I will watch till the end so far Josh Duhamel is probably the shows saving grace for me. He is carrying the entirety of the show's gravitas on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I totally get that and agree that we have been spoiled by bigger budgets and movie level quality now. Streamers especially are throwing hundreds of millions at shows battling for subscribers and attention in a crowded marketplace. And I could forgive cheaper looking CGI, or more basic level choreography etc. if everything else was amazing. But I have to deal with that AND a dragged out origin story. Unlikeable gratuitous Chloe snorting random drugs for like 20 minutes an episode? I get it she's awful and a druggy. Speed it UP. You are giving me nothing to grab onto as any hope for it getting better. Getting a second season or more is not a given. Especially on Netflix they like to churn out these series in volume and just start over if they don't stand up.

That aside I don't HATE it. I will watch till the end so far Josh Duhamel is probably the shows saving grace for me. He is carrying the entirety of the show's gravitas on his back.
    I don't disagree with that complaint about it, I think biggest problem is that is assuming that gets a second season so hold back interesting things to be told later. It has the issue of many YA adaptions they don't try to tell the most interesting story it can because they are saving back stuff for sequel and sequel never gets made because the first movie wasn't amazing. You can literally watch just episode 1 and 8 skip everything in middle because it is not very interesting on the big scale. It is not bad show it is just an average show and average show can't cut it today with all the stuff in the genre.

I am starting to wonder if binge format isn't that good because if this was done as week to week show they would have great hooks to keep you watching and this didn't really have that imo. Wandavision was just as slow as this in first couple episodes but it had good cliff hangers imo. If if this was 8 weeks I would have stop watching this show around week 3 or 4.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-09-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Since I'm not familiar with the source material, the characters and story are new to me. I'm enjoying it so far, but I totally get why some viewers would have a problem with it. Most Netflix shows drag in the middle -- this seems to be no exception.
    The first big battle was surprisingly good -- it is what hooked me -- and I agree that Duhamel is what is carrying the show in general. I also despise Chloe and her unnecessary drawn out subplot. I get bored quickly with that type of character. I'm also enjoying the flashback plot line.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I enjoyed all of it. I did think the weakest area of the show was some of the younger cast's acting, most notably Andrew Horton as Brandon, who came across as just a haircut wearing an actor. Paragon is simply uninteresting so far. Best of the young cast was Ian Quinlan as Hutch - I thought he was pretty good, though perhaps it helps that his character had more going on than most of the youngsters. The costumes and some of the aging make-up were not the best, so that was another problem, but it didn't break the show for me.

Unlike most people I thought the flashback stuff was the most interesting plotline, helped partly by having older actors and not having to do much superhero stuff, so I'm a bit nervous looking to the next season.

Extraordinary Member

It was entertaining, I was surprised Duhamel can act. The philosophizing over the no kill rule was done better here than what I've seen in other stories. With some heroes disagreeing and showing practical reasons why this wouldn't work in a real situation.

That poor little rich girl falling for the bad boy added some spice to the show that might have gotten overly serious otherwise. That being said non-linear story-telling is highly over rated. Yeah they really coulda wrapped that origin story in 3 episodes and let the kids take over. I thought Hutch was the most interesting character so far.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 05-10-2021 at 05:30 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    It was entertaining, I was surprised Duhamel can act. The philosophizing over the no kill rule was done better here than what I've seen in other stories. With some heroes disagreeing and showing practical reasons why this wouldn't work in a real situation.

That poor little rich girl falling for the bad boy added some spice to the show that might have gotten overly serious otherwise. That being said non-linear story-telling is highly over rated. Yeah they really coulda wrapped that origin story in 3 episodes and let the kids take over. I thought Hutch was the most interesting character so far.
    I neglected that in my earlier comments.

I didn't know Josh Duhamel could act like that.

I've always looked at him like the "jock" or "all-American dude" that couldn't really act. I must say that he really carried the series. All the acting was good (Ben Daniels never phones it in) except for Andew Horton, he wasn't really given much to work with to be honest.

Extraordinary Member

I've always looked at him like the "jock" or "all-American dude" that couldn't really act. I must say that he really carried the series. All the acting was good (Ben Daniels never phones it in) except for Andew Horton, he wasn't really given much to work with to be honest.
    Yeah I mean I guess he got typecast lol. I mean I've never seen him eff up a movie with his acting. But yeah didn't know he had that much range and leading man in him.

Really? I first saw him in All My Children where he played one of my favorite characters, so I may be a bit biased but I've always liked him. He was good in Las Vegas, too imo.

I liked it overall, but it was way too decompressed. They took way too long with the origin story. Duhamel was good, but way too many scenes of crazy Sheldon visions. I think they could have gotten to the end in 4 episodes instead of 8. Seems like they decided how long the series will be and just said, okay we have x many comics that have to last y many episodes.
    Compare this to Invincible, or The Boys.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

If they were chosen because they were worthy by the glowing flower momma - it needs a new HR interview selection process as they turned out to have quite a few nut jobs. While killing Raikou might be in the books, it turned me off. I'm a father and I wouldn't kill my kid for a new world order unless I was a total psychopath, which brings me back to my first point.

Also, I get it - Batman is a jerk for not killing the Joker and Superman should have tossed Luthor into the Sun. The no-kill code is an insult to ever law enforcement officer and soldier who as to do such to protect us. Yeah, it was to make comics nice but then don't have such horrific mass murders as the Joker as protagonists. Just save cats in tree or the Joker do pranks.