Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm on episode 3. I mean Josh is compelling so far I will give it that. There is a "cheapness" to the fight scenes I thought. Stunt work is slow and not crisp imo. The flying is yikes can almost feel the wires etc. I know nothing of the series other than this so I hope some of these other characters get interesting. The daughter is annoying. Brandon I want him to be more interesting somehow...

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I thought the trailer looks bad but so did the trailer for the Boys. Did not care for the comic but still am curious

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I about burned through it so far and yea it drags close to the middle but that's probably due to the daughters storyline. She's a pain in the ass to keep involved with. Duhmel is good though.

I'm also noticing that Netflix has a house style that kind of keeps the pace dull at times. I so very rarely sit through their shows, mostly I'm in it for the movies. Some cool **** in it for sure though.
    Exactly this.

Most Netflix series struggle with this. The pacing of their series pretty much collapses in the middle.

A lot of their series are simply the wrong length and have wrong runtimes.

Jupiter’s Legacy is one of those.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I think the show is pretty good so far. Chloe is supposed to be annoying and unreasonable, which makes her coming arc more fruitful. I love how the first season is establishing Sheldon, and is likely saving Brandon's change for season 2. It gives their fallout an actual foundation.

However, yeah, I'm kinda disappointed by the fight scenes. I'm on episode 5. They need to improve that in the next seasons.

Fantastic Member

I really liked the comics but the direction, acting, and cgi in this series is on on par with you tube fan fiction shorts..really disappointing.

I'm bingeing it at the moment, and I've been enjoying more than I expected.

Astonishing Member

The origin story is taking up too much story time and I'm loathe to google the comic. However, I like the story. The interesting part is the "Code" obviously and how it points out the ridiculous nature of Batman and Superman's no kill police. Law enforcement deal with this everyday and it certainly goes bad at times, watch the news, but a blanket policy is not realistic. Hence, the good ol' Joker still being around and leading to fun things like Kingdom Come or Injustice or Barbara in a wheel chair. Lex - give him a trip to the sun, already.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The origin story is taking up too much story time and I'm loathe to google the comic. However, I like the story. The interesting part is the "Code" obviously and how it points out the ridiculous nature of Batman and Superman's no kill police. Law enforcement deal with this everyday and it certainly goes bad at times, watch the news, but a blanket policy is not realistic. Hence, the good ol' Joker still being around and leading to fun things like Kingdom Come or Injustice or Barbara in a wheel chair. Lex - give him a trip to the sun, already.
    Read the comics.

You'll be surprised at how totally decompressed and stretched out the Netflix series is.

And just how much more interesting the central theme of the comics were (the entire kill code was a live action invention and to me, it didn't make much sense).
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-08-2021 at 11:52 AM.

I'm at episode 4, and yes, I am saying, "Get on with it". I have no tolerance of poor little drug addict rich girl, and while I like Sheldon's character, I don't need to see him in this mental State and seeing dead Pa for this long. We know he finds the powers, just get him there.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Read the comics.

You'll be surprised at how totally decompressed and stretched out the Netflix series is.

And just how much more interesting the central theme of the comics were (the entire kill code was a live action invention and to me, it didn't make much sense).
    Yep.

This is at roughly "Preacher..."-level "You Have Got A Lot Of Nerve Even Using This Name..." when it comes to just how far away from the comic that they are.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep.

This is at roughly "Preacher..."-level "You Have Got A Lot Of Nerve Even Using This Name..." when it comes to just how far away from the comic that they are.
    Did they legit take from the kingdom come story line?
    Last edited by obatalla; 05-08-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    While it's a separate issue?

I can see why someone would feel like they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Read the comics.

It being decompressed is a good thing, because the comic was too fast paced and shallow to establish any deep or complex family dynamics. When the inciting incident happens, you don't give a damn about anyone involved.

That being said....the problem is that the back and forth between the origin and the present, there's little connective tissue and the way they tell the origin is way too dragged out. If this show was going to delve this dep into Sheldon as a character....this first season should've been an expanded adaptation of Jupiter's Circle, but with focus on the origin and why the Code matters so much. Sheldon talking about the Code is great, because of the acting, but it lacks weight because we don't get to see how he did things back in his day. We should've seen The Union dealing these "golden age" villains, dealing with WW2 and Vietnam, how superpowers became rampant around the globe and Sheldon coming to the conclusion that the Code was absolute. Also, let's see more of them just living life. Sheldon, despite being a god amongst men, and meeting aliens, is still religious...yet we don't see how that fits into his character, because he wasn't shown to be religious in the flashbacks?

That should've been season 1. Then season 2 shows the falling apart of the Union, Skyfox's time as a villain and Sheldon's failings as a father not being around for his kids. Then season 3 focuses on Brandon, Chloe, Petra and Hutch from from high school age to college, developing the relationships with their parents and the other superpowered kids, having them dealing with their celebrity, Hutch's life of crime and then ending with Chloe's falling out. Season 4 is then this season, but with Brandon and Petra being juxtaposed to Chloe and Hutch, and the social and ethical politics of the Union, and builds up to the inciting incident from the comics.

I'd have changed the title of the show to "Jupiter's Kingdom" or "Children of Jupiter", to establish that this is a show of ages. Jupiter's Legacy doesn't work for this show, because the word "legacy" implies a focus on the children, but Sheldon gets most of the screen time. Instead, either give a title that implies it's about his "reign", and those that inherit his "throne" or one that implies that Union were the "first generation of 'God's' children".

The other biggest failing was the action and effects. Like damn....that Blackstar fight was just not good. Due to the lack of context, we'd don't know that they were all holding back so much. Paragon, at that point, is far weaker then his father...yet he ends the fight, while Utopian is getting clapped lol. The storytelling was just not there, not when the first scene shows Paragon getting bodied the way he did and Utopian casually shrugging off that villain.

Lastly, Chloe is supposed to be unlikable. Cool. The comic didn't really cement how low she was, before the inciting incident. However, this show gives her no redeeming qualities and is too redundant. Episode 4 was tough. How many scenes do we need of her snorting drugs? Seriously. She's a horrible person, that belittles the friends she grew up with and who are risking there lives....for what? I thought her problem was with her father? It's not like they don't deal with the same issues, even more pressure, as they actually contribute to society, and even then...they fail to meet the Utopian's impossible ideal as well. We didn't see any context that would allow even an ounce of sympathy towards her. Yes, Sheldon/Utopian, is overbearing and can't be pleased, but Brandon isn't abusing drugs, and he's had to deal with their father much longer and has much higher expectations.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, as they had their showrunner leave during production, and had to do rewrites and reshoots. Hopefully next season tells whatever story it wants to tell better.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    It's more Succession, than Kingdom Come. The latter aspects come from Sheldon's adherence to the Code, but it's more ambitious. In Kingdom Come, it was about killing villains and people appreciating that more, yes, but this is much more about effecting the political, ethical, economic and social issues of the world.

The problem here is that, there's no context as to why that would turn out bad in their world. We know it'd be bad, but this is all tell, and no show. He's got no space for compromise, and we've got no context why he's that rigid. Then if it's supposed to be cop commentary, that police chief in episode one was about as subtle as a bright pink Hummer.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 05-09-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    It being decompressed is a good thing, because the comic was too fast paced and shallow to establish any deep or complex family dynamics. When the inciting incident happens, you don't give a damn about anyone involved.

That being said....the problem is that the back and forth between the origin and the present, there's little connective tissue and the way they tell the origin is way too dragged out. If this show was going to delve this dep into Sheldon as a character....this first season should've been an expanded adaptation of Jupiter's Circle, but with focus on the origin and why the Code matters so much. Sheldon talking about the Code is great, because of the acting, but it lacks weight because we don't get to see how he did things back in his day. We should've seen The Union dealing these "golden age" villains, dealing with WW2 and Vietnam, how superpowers became rampant around the globe and Sheldon coming to the conclusion that the Code was absolute. Also, let's see more of them just living life. Sheldon, despite being a god amongst men, and meeting aliens, is still religious...yet we don't see how that fits into his character, because he wasn't shown to be religious in the flashbacks?

That should've been season 1. Then season 2 shows the falling apart of the Union, Skyfox's time as a villain and Sheldon's failings as a father not being around for his kids. Then season 3 focuses on Brandon, Chloe, Petra and Hutch from from high school age to college, developing the relationships with their parents and the other superpowered kids, having them dealing with their celebrity, Hutch's life of crime and then ending with Chloe's falling out. Season 4 is then this season, but with Brandon and Petra being juxtaposed to Chloe and Hutch, and the social and ethical politics of the Union, and builds up to the inciting incident from the comics.

I'd have changed the title of the show to "Jupiter's Kingdom" or "Children of Jupiter", to establish that this is a show of ages. Jupiter's Legacy doesn't work for this show, because the word "legacy" implies a focus on the children, but Sheldon gets most of the screen time. Instead, either give a title that implies it's about his "reign", and those that inherit his "throne" or one that implies that Union were the "first generation of 'God's' children".

The other biggest failing was the action and effects. Like damn....that Blackstar fight was just not good. Due to the lack of context, we'd don't know that they were all holding back so much. Paragon, at that point, is far weaker then his father...yet he ends the fight, while Utopian is getting clapped lol. The storytelling was just not there, not when the first scene shows Paragon getting bodied the way he did and Utopian casually shrugging off that villain.

Lastly, Chloe is supposed to be unlikable. Cool. The comic didn't really cement how low she was, before the inciting incident. However, this show gives her no redeeming qualities and is too redundant. Episode 4 was tough. How many scenes do we need of her snorting drugs? Seriously. She's a horrible person, that belittles the friends she grew up with and who are risking there lives....for what? I thought her problem was with her father? It's not like they don't deal with the same issues, even more pressure, as they actually contribute to society, and even then...they fail to meet the Utopian's impossible ideal as well. We didn't see any context that would allow even an ounce of sympathy towards her. Yes, Sheldon/Utopian, is overbearing and can't be pleased, but Brandon isn't abusing drugs, and he's had to deal with their father much longer and has much higher expectations.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, as they had their showrunner leave during production, and had to do rewrites and reshoots. Hopefully next season tells whatever story it wants to tell better.
    The comic was rushed but the TV series has gone in an opposite direction which also didn't work.

As you rightly pointed out, the name of the series is "Jupiter's Legacy" emphasis on the Legacy aspect because the story wasn't meant to be about the Utopian and the first heroes.

The TV series didn't do Brandon and Chloe any justice at all. Both these characters play very,very key roles in the story (they are basically the main characters) but the tv series hasn't set them up for their future roles at all.