Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the JL instead of being interesting right now it was trying to set up stuff to be interesting in the future, It commits the cardinal sin of cinematic universes assuming you are getting a future to tell interesting stuff instead of just being interesting right away. They are so many Young adult stuff that has died because of this "yeah we are going to save cool stuff for the future" but the story you telling right now is kinda average and nobody is interested in it so there is no future.
    I think you nailed it.

Astonishing Member

Whats kinda of ironic is they just released the streaming numbers for first week of May. And this show was the most watched of any show by far. On any streaming platform.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Whats kinda of ironic is they just released the streaming numbers for first week of May. And this show was the most watched of any show by far. On any streaming platform.
    But the first season cost a reported whopping $200MM to produce - those streaming numbers, while #1 on the weekly chart, are likely not good enough for Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    But the first season cost a reported whopping $200MM to produce - those streaming numbers, while #1 on the weekly chart, are likely not good enough for Netflix.
    They'd have to be consistently good, which is not easy if folks can just binge it all over a day or weekend.

Plus, Netflix greenlit that budget, too. There had to be other considerations since they're the ones that said, "Here's $200mm, and if you meet our metrics, you'll get a second season." But Netflix is notorious for hiding both what those metrics are and the goals for those metrics.

My guess is that viewers either gave up partway through, or had some serious negative feedback that Netflix deemed they couldn't recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    They'd have to be consistently good, which is not easy if folks can just binge it all over a day or weekend.

Plus, Netflix greenlit that budget, too. There had to be other considerations since they're the ones that said, "Here's $200mm, and if you meet our metrics, you'll get a second season." But Netflix is notorious for hiding both what those metrics are and the goals for those metrics.

My guess is that viewers either gave up partway through, or had some serious negative feedback that Netflix deemed they couldn't recover from.
    Yes, they knew about the $200MM of course, but what I meant when saying that the streaming numbers weren’t good enough for Netflix probably talks to the mix of viewers (new to Netflix vs. settled Netflix) and abandon rates (what you mentioned with your last sentence). Your point around metrics/ goals would be the key thing here.
    Last edited by hyped78; 06-04-2021 at 01:23 PM.

The end of the final episode of the first and only season left me with the impression they'd filmed several more episodes and for some reason chose to cut the story in half to stretch them into a second season.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

You have to wonder what Netflix's expectations were and why they thought this failed. I mean it was the #1 streaming show.

FWS had a budget of $150 million and similar, but slightly lower numbers, and is considered a big hit. As was WandaVision, with the same budget but lower numbers.

I am wondering if people stopped watching in the middle and that is what Netflix is looking at?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You have to wonder what Netflix's expectations were and why they thought this failed. I mean it was the #1 streaming show.

FWS had a budget of $150 million and similar, but slightly lower numbers, and is considered a big hit. As was WandaVision, with the same budget but lower numbers.
    Right now Disney+ is in a different position than Netflix, Disney+ was also aiming to gain new subscribers and both shows achieve this drawing in millions of new subscribers.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am wondering if people stopped watching in the middle and that is what Netflix is looking at?
    I think that is a possibility but I feel the poor critical response, production cost and the fact that show did not seem to gain traction with the larger public may have played a role.

Astonishing Member

Ok I haven't watched the show but this is just weird these are the just released Nielsen numbers for May 10th to the 16th. This show if Netflix is to be believed destroyed every other show in streaming. And they canceled it.

1. Jupiter’s Legacy (Netflix), 1.02 billion minutes viewed
    2. The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu), 584 million
    3. The Upshaws (Netflix), 560 million
    4. Selena: The Series (Netflix), 383 million
    5. The Circle (Netflix), 321 million
    6. Shadow and Bone (Netflix), 294 million
    7. The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness (Netflix), 278 million
    8. The Underground Railroad (Amazon), 263 million
    9. Castlevania (Netflix), 205 million
    10. The Crown (Netflix), 188 million

Something isn't matching up. And thats at least the 2nd week in a row its done that. And these numbers are even better than the week before. Crazy
    Last edited by inisideguy; 06-10-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Ok I haven't watched the show but this is just weird these are the just released Nielsen numbers for May 10th to the 16th. This show if Netflix is to be believed destroyed every other show in streaming. And they canceled it.

1. Jupiter’s Legacy (Netflix), 1.02 billion minutes viewed
    2. The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu), 584 million
    3. The Upshaws (Netflix), 560 million
    4. Selena: The Series (Netflix), 383 million
    5. The Circle (Netflix), 321 million
    6. Shadow and Bone (Netflix), 294 million
    7. The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness (Netflix), 278 million
    8. The Underground Railroad (Amazon), 263 million
    9. Castlevania (Netflix), 205 million
    10. The Crown (Netflix), 188 million

Something isn't matching up. And thats at least the 2nd week in a row its done that. And these numbers are even better than the week before. Crazy
    Don't ask me where it went but Jupiter's Legacy supposedly had a budget of 200m. Meanwhile the VFX was nowhere nesr as good as what Disney+ is doing with similar budgets ATM. Also it didn't do well review wise. I enjoyed the show and didn't judge the vfx(or lack of them) too harshly cause I thought they were working with a small budget. But it defiently had some issues and I can see why the reviews weren't great. Still perplexed where the money went. Maybe they should have only had 6-8 Episodes and they coulda have done more with the budget. Though again that wasn't even my issues with it until I found out how much they spent.

Astonishing Member

‘Jupiter’s Legacy’: Battles Over Budgets, Executive Purge Factor in Cancellation

Pretty good article on the behind the scenes creative battles, showrunner changes, stop start production. Executive shifts. So it seems it was much more than the streaming numbers. How quickly the cancellation came shows they were ready to move on just based on how it all went down even getting the show made and released.

This explains the lack of actually "seeing" where all the money went. There need to be a lot of lessons learned if they want to make the other proposed Millarworld shows work in the long run. Someone needs to come in and be the steady hand in the background to limit all the production, budget issues before we even get to the writing etc.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 06-12-2021 at 01:25 AM.

The show was abit of a mess, and this explains why. But I am happy to hear they have revived the idea of making The Magic Order.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

It's taken me this long to realize it's called 'Jupiter's Legacy' so that the initials can be 'JL,' like Justice League.

'Cause I'm just that darn slow.

Honestly, I liked the comic series, but all things considered, it wasn't particularly well written. I enjoyed it mainly for Frank Quitely's artwork. The characters weren't fleshed out very well and their motivations didn't quite match their actions. If anything the Netflix writer's big crime was trying to craft a weak original story into something multi-episodic people would actually want to invest time in. I think they did a good job with what they had to work with. Apparently, it just wasn't good enough for many.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Honestly, I liked the comic series, but all things considered, it wasn't particularly well written. I enjoyed it mainly for Frank Quitely's artwork. The characters weren't fleshed out very well and their motivations didn't quite match their actions. If anything the Netflix writer's big crime was trying to craft a weak original story into something multi-episodic people would actually want to invest time in. I think they did a good job with what they had to work with. Apparently, it just wasn't good enough for many.
    The problem was they tried to craft a sprawling origin story, probably to highlight Duhamel, which was a small tangent in the comic book. If they had gotten on with the story, it would have been better.