Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Was it ever explained how the villains and non-union family got their super-powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Also, I get it - Batman is a jerk for not killing the Joker and Superman should have tossed Luthor into the Sun. The no-kill code is an insult to ever law enforcement officer and soldier who as to do such to protect us. Yeah, it was to make comics nice but then don't have such horrific mass murders as the Joker as protagonists. Just save cats in tree or the Joker do pranks.
    That is incorrect, People who defend no killing as the standard for heroes are insulting police officer and solider. Batman, Superman and others not killing ever is fine perspective as long as people don't go that is "the" standard of being hero instead of one of paths you can choose.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-11-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Also, I get it - Batman is a jerk for not killing the Joker and Superman should have tossed Luthor into the Sun. The no-kill code is an insult to ever law enforcement officer and soldier who as to do such to protect us. Yeah, it was to make comics nice but then don't have such horrific mass murders as the Joker as protagonists. Just save cats in tree or the Joker do pranks.
    The big thing is less about no killing, the big thing is preventing killing from becoming the sole solution or most routine thing, the slippery slope of death. People don't protest police who kill when there are no other options, they protest police who kill as a first resort, or police who kill well after they have someone apprehended, or police who kill when they already have someone outnumbered. People don't protest soldiers who kill in defense of civilians, but they protest soldiers who kill or occupy civilians outright (but even then, soldiers are usually held accountable by military law whereas police accountability is a major hurdle in our LE systems right now). At the heart of it is the power imbalance and lack of accountability, and that's ultimately what Utopian is getting at, even if he's being a little bit too much of a hardcase about it.

TBH that's my major problem with the Snyderverse, though I'm glad that properties like WW and Shazam are veering away from it.

Ultimate Member

If they were chosen because they were worthy by the glowing flower momma - it needs a new HR interview selection process as they turned out to have quite a few nut jobs. While killing Raikou might be in the books, it turned me off. I'm a father and I wouldn't kill my kid for a new world order unless I was a total psychopath, which brings me back to my first point.

It's a slippery slope.

Law enforcement and even the justice system has executed a substantial number of innocent people. Men, women and children. And in reality, just how many violent criminals do police actually kill ?

I would argue very strongly that a balanced society that address the actual causes of crime lessens the need for lethal force. The US is pretty much a militarized society with a large chunk of people carrying guns, throw in economic inequality that vilifies poverty and worships the rich and you have the recipe for a rather violent society. Police in other advanced socities rarely have to use lethal force and why this is is a discussion the US needs to have with itself. It's better to address the underlying cause of the issue rather than addressing the symptoms which the use of lethal force boils down to.

As for superheroes, I don't feel superheroes should kill at all. Now, there are circumstances when the heroes should have to kill but the Jupiters Legacy situation was so stupid. Brandon is strong enough to punch off Blackstar's face, so why not just punch him out instead of mashing his face? The Utopian was fast enough to fly from where ever to Idaho within seconds but he's not fast enough to stop Blackstar from killing Brandon? It was all quite stupid. Characters as powerful as the Utopian and Superman are very rarely faced with the option of killing their villains because they are powerful enough to stop them without using lethal force. And if said supervillain proves so difficult to put down, someone like Superman could easily dump them in the phantom zone..stuff he's done fairly frequently in the comics.

As for Batman, he needs to look for new solutions to addressing Gotham's problems. Probably one that doesn't involve a cape and cowl and would involve more action behind the scenes as Bruce Wayne. This sounds very dry but this is what happens when stuff like the use of lethal force is treated as a realistic long term solution to solving ultraviolent scum like the Joker. But all this said, I agree with your point about the Joker and other Batman villains, they've pretty much become more and more murderous which is now out of step with Batman's no-kill code...that's something that writers need to take into consideration. Because all this stuff is now very imbalanced with Joker killing hundreds and maybe thousands of people only for him to go to Arkham with a fat lip.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Was it ever explained how the villains and non-union family got their super-powers?
    From what I saw, it looked like there was a residual energy wave from when the original 6 got boosted. The guys on the ship were all changed. I presume that they are descendants of the modern non-Union supers.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    From what I saw, it looked like there was a residual energy wave from when the original 6 got boosted. The guys on the ship were all changed. I presume that they are descendants of the modern non-Union supers.
    This is what I assumed.

I thought the show was ok. In a time with so many great superhero shows like Boys,Invincible,FATWS,Wandavision and Watchmen etc.... Superman and Lois is off to a nice start looking to transcend CWs quality(I hope HBOmax takes it away and put more money into it. The guys playing Superman has a real charm to him despite maybe not looking that much like Supes.) Anyway with all this stuff Jupiter's Legacy comes across as just ok. I don't tlike the young characters. I love Josh Duhammel ans alot of the older characters. Kinda want Josh to come play Sentry or Hyperion now in the MCU. Anyway stuff with the adults was cool ans the kids were awful. The twist at the end I saw coming a mile away. spoilers:
    My wife even said I don't think Brandon is repeating that in his head. I think his uncle is doing it to him.
    end of spoilers

I will say I did like one of the kids and that's Geroges son. Won't say who that Is cause it's a spoiler kinda. But Brandon and Chloe were boring. Barry and ghost beam seemed nice interesting but then you realize they were just being manipulative as set up for what they do with them.

This was pretty decent.

Although Chloe and hearing “the Code” every 10 seconds both grate on my nerves...

You know that anomaly that makes you forget the meaning of a word when you repeat it too often? Yeah, that.

Ultimate Member

For a show named 'Jupiter's Legacy' it sure does seem to be more about the original Union of Justice 'big six' and not their kids generation, who seem to be dying like flies.

I kinda feel like I'm watching the Runaways TV show, which had such a strong focus on the Runaway's *parents* that it almost felt like their show.

And yet, there's a story here. I was not expecting that. I was expecting a poor attempt to replicate the success of The Boys, some gore, some faux-British cussing, some nudity, some more gore, and some more faux-Brit-cussing. But this is not that, and I'm kind of surprised, since I hardly expected much from Millar, after his run on the Ultimates soured me on the Avengers for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is incorrect, People who defend no killing as the standard for heroes are insulting police officer and solider. Batman, Superman and others not killing ever is fine perspective as long as people don't go that is "the" standard of being hero instead of one of paths you can choose.
    The idea that killing is part of a police officer's job feels like a tellingly US-centric view of what police work is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The idea that killing is part of a police officer's job feels like a tellingly US-centric view of what police work is.
    Killing is a possible part of any police job anywhere nothing about that is US-centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Killing is a possible part of any police job anywhere nothing about that is US-centric.
    Possible, but it shouldn't be considered as a central, fundamental part of the job, either.

For one thing, and for a variety of reasons, police forces in other 1st world and wealthy countries usually don't have nearly the same kill rate by their police forces. The countries that place more emphasis or power in police killings tend to be on the high end of fascist political turmoil -- Philippines, India, Brazil, etc. The countries that the US supposedly strives to be like in social nets, like Switzerland and Japan -- have the among the least.

But centering the right for police to kill -- which ties into militarization and empowerment of police -- is very, very US centric because of how much importance and patriotism the country places in its military might as the #1 military superpower (paradoxically, the military having far fewer incidents of and much more accountability regarding abuse of power than American police; that is, American police try to have the kind of power, funding, and support that the US military has, without the safeguards and accountability that the US military has to contain that power).
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Possible, but it shouldn't be considered as a central, fundamental part of the job, either.

For one thing, and for a variety of reasons, police forces in other 1st world and wealthy countries usually don't have nearly the same kill rate by their police forces. The countries that place more emphasis or power in police killings tend to be on the high end of fascist political turmoil -- Philippines, India, Brazil, etc. The countries that the US supposedly strives to be like in social nets, like Switzerland and Japan -- have the among the least.

But centering the right for police to kill -- which ties into militarization and empowerment of police -- is very, very US centric because of how much importance and patriotism the country places in its military might as the #1 military superpower (paradoxically, the military having far fewer incidents of and much more accountability regarding abuse of power than American police; that is, American police try to have the kind of power, funding, and support that the US military has, without the safeguards and accountability that the US military has to contain that power).
    And no where I am saying it is central part of the job, Police have a right to kill when their own lives are in real danger (or person is clearly endangering the lives other people) That is larger possibility in the US who have more guns than other any place. What I am talking about has nothing to with abuse of power or militarization. I am talking about how Police/Soldiers/Security deal with a situation your life or others is in legit danger.

Which bring me back to Jupiter's legacy, If villains have the real capability of harming the Superheroes and killing them then the lethal option just like real life. Nothing about what I have said eliminates trying to do every thing possible to bring in person alive to stand trial for their actions.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-17-2021 at 05:47 PM.

In the comics, it wasn't all about some "no kill" code, but that Walter wanted to get into running the government (because he thought he could fix all the world's problems, while politicians and experts can't) and Sheldon insisted they as superheroes need to stay out of politics, and trust the system to work. They should have stuck with that.

The killing thing makes little sense. If Brandon could just punch the Blackstar clone's head clean off with one hit the way he did, then Sheldon at least (and probably Grace too, if not others) could have, as well. Similarly, it makes that later moment where Sheldon is hesitating to kill Blackstar to save Brandon a little silly, because what exactly was stopping Brandon from just slipping out of that hold, himself?

I liked the show well enough that I'll at least plan to give season 2 a chance, but the whole Code thing just seems a misstep, to me. Likewise, like others have said, they spent way too long with the whole storyline of Sheldon having visions in the past, leading up to the island. I don't think the comic spent anywhere near so much time with all that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

No spoilers here, but I figured out who was the villain after episode 5.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    No spoilers here, but I figured out who was the villain after episode 5.
    Yea my wife called it in the first episode.
    spoilers:
    I think she misread the scenes. When we are suppsoe to think uncle Walt is hearing Brandon's thoughts. She saw it as His uncle making him hear what his dad said over and over to push him over the edge. I thought she was reading the scene wrong until around episode 4/5. Then I apologized and told her I think she was accidently right.
    end of spoilers

As far as the OG union being focuses on more. I'm fine with that, didn't care for the kids. Utopians kids were annoying. Barry and Ghost Beam seemed likeable for all of 5mins lol