Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it! Yeah, its not the best superhero show, but its an interesting one. Plus, it was my introduction to this particular world/franchise.

The show is a bit slow-paced, and there's nothing wrong with that per se...a slower pace allows you to immerse yourself in this world, the characters and the themes. A bigger issue is the lack of focus in the present-day story arc. I count four distinct threads - the conflict within the Sampson family, the debate over ''the Code'', the Blackstar storyline, and whatever Hutch is up to. The show kind of meanders through all of them within giving any of them their due. Each of these threads kind of weave in and out of focus and none of them really gets resolved. The 1929 story was at times more interesting as the slow-burn origin story - sometimes it was a little too slowburn though. And I honestly felt that they didn't do much to sell us on the idea that George and Walt should consider Sheldon as anything other than crazy. The way they played it, you sympathized with the others for wanting to stop Sheldon and thinking he's sick, even though you know he's ''right''. The fact that he's a sanctimonious jerk in the present-day doesn't help matters.

Yeah, I'll just come out and say it - the Utopian came across as a bit of an *******. He's literally every negative stereotype about Superman brought to life. His ''Code'' is really more about imprinting hislegacy and hissense of morality in the minds of the superhero community, even at the cost of the heroes' lives. He comes across as a terrible father, and not a particularly good husband either (though they don't really explore Grace and Sheldon's relationship much in either timeline). I honestly found Chloe to be the most sympathetic and relatable character in that family. Yes, the drug-addicted girl with anger issues came off looking better than the Superman equivalent!

The whole debate about the ''Code'' was interesting, and I liked the sense of disillusionment among the younger heroes' towards Utopian and his 'leadership'. Its one of the things I wished they'd explored more. The black-and-white binary of the ''Code'' didn't make much sense to me, but I guess that was the point - to show how stupid Sheldon's understanding of it was. The younger heroes' didn't want to be able to kill super-villains at will...they just wanted to have the option to save their lives or the lives of others. Like cops or soldiers would. Sheldon's adherance to the ''Code'' and his demands that his son do the same at all costs makes him come across as less a hero and more a religious zealot of some sort. Which they do hint at in the flashbacks when Walt sarcastically calls him a ''Messiah''. But yeah, I think Sheldon's conflict with Brandon came across a bit akin to a more 'traditional' take on Superman having a problem with the Snyder/Cavill Superman after that MOS scene

George was definitely one of the most interesting characters on the show, and I wish we see more of him in Season 2. Oh yes, I'm hoping we get a Season 2 after the way this season left things hanging. Now that they've established the characters and the world I do hope they pick up the pace and give the show a stronger focus.

BANNED

I think this Code is stupid. Whatever happened to the greater good? Why protect a villain that is a danger to the lives of innocent people?

They made the no killing part of the code silly with Utopian being so rigid as to not accept it even as a last resort. I think people would be understanding of that. I thought it was more interesting when Walt brought up how they would do a better job than the people in charge and I do agree with the Utopian that they can't start dictating policy just because they have powers. It seems to be the crux of what drove a wedge between Skyfox and the team and maybe what's making Brainwave turn against them as well.

I don't know if they go into this in the comics or if I missed something in the show, but why do all the kids seem to be about the same age? Are they? The Union has been around for so long, were any of these second generation born in the 40's or 60's etc? I can see where once you reach adulthood you age a lot slower, but otherwise it seems odd that all the second generation were born within a few years of each other.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    It's more Succession, than Kingdom Come. The latter aspects come from Sheldon's adherence to the Code, but it's more ambitious. In Kingdom Come, it was about killing villains and people appreciating that more, yes, but this is much more about effecting the political, ethical, economic and social issues of the world.

The problem here is that, there's no context as to why that would turn out bad in their world. We know it'd be bad, but this is all tell, and no show. He's got no space for compromise, and we've got no context why he's that rigid. Then if it's supposed to be cop commentary, that police chief in episode one was about as subtle as a bright pink Hummer.
    that and they literally have utopian plowing the fields like kingdom come superman ...same shots from the book...felt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I think this Code is stupid. Whatever happened to the greater good? Why protect a villain that is a danger to the lives of innocent people?
    I kind of took that as the point. The code is dumb and stems from Sheldon's trauma with his dad. Or atleast that'd was that super villian shrink said. Similar to Batmans no killing rule. You can explain it as a slippery slope Yada Yada but the truth seems more illogical.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 05-23-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

If the show is supposedly going to ultimately be about the kids more and more what can they do to quickly make them more likeable? Cause right now they can all go die.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If the show is supposedly going to ultimately be about the kids more and more what can they do to quickly make them more likeable? Cause right now they can all go die.
    Well only one of the kids needs to be likable and when the scenario switches up people will be force to cheer for her

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I don't need the kids to be likable - I would just want the stories to be compelling. And at the moment, I agree that the two Utopian kids have pretty thin characterizations.

Well, that didn't take long...

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...x-supercrooks/

Jupiter's Legacy Season 2 Plans Cancelled, Netflix Developing Supercrooks Spinoff

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Wow, that’s amazing. It had to bomb pretty badly. It did cost a lot and look ... subpar. I’d blame the fact that it’s an obscure property but Umbrella Academy and The Boys managed multiple seasons.

Oh well. I wasn’t attached to it anyway.

Way too much time telling the back story of getting the powers. Ended with what should have been in ep 4.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Supercrooks was awesome and I think the better book so it is no big loss imo. I read in the article they are treating Jupiter's Legacy universe like anthology series now which I think is good they can just pick out a good story and focus on that instead of trying to build up this world. Supercrooks is basically what if Ocean Elevens happened with supervillians it has a really good hook in that way I think should do a lot better than Jupiter's Legacy which was an extremely slow show.

I don't feel sorry for the JL instead of being interesting right now it was trying to set up stuff to be interesting in the future, It commits the cardinal sin of cinematic universes assuming you are getting a future to tell interesting stuff instead of just being interesting right away. They are so many Young adult stuff that has died because of this "yeah we are going to save cool stuff for the future" but the story you telling right now is kinda average and nobody is interested in it so there is no future. They were suppose to kill the Uptonian and his wife and in saving that as big move for the next season, it seem smart until you realize they didn't get a next season. I don't think the casual fans realize that 2 children were actually the stars of the property so the show failed big time in that aspect.

Darren Money on Twitter
    Reports suggest that somehow “Jupiter’s Legacy” cast $200m.

That’s more than the $150m reported for “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”, with a much less starry cast.

Even with a troubled production with DeKnight’s departure, that’s... not exactly visible on screen.To put this in perspective, the first season of “The Witcher” cost $80m.

The final season of “Game of Thrones” cost $90m.

Even the famously expense *twelve-episode* opening season of “The Get Down” came in at $120m.

So goodness is “Jupiter’s Legacy” a folly.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-03-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Supercrooks was awesome and I think the better book so it is no big loss imo. I read in the article they are treating Jupiter's Legacy universe like anthology series now which I think is good they can just pick out a good story and focus on that instead of trying to build up this world. Supercrooks is basically what if Ocean Elevens happened with supervillians it has a really good hook in that way I think should do a lot better than Jupiter's Legacy which was an extremely slow show.

I don't feel sorry for the JL instead of being interesting right now it was trying to set up stuff to be interesting in the future, It commits the cardinal sin of cinematic universes assuming you are getting a future to tell interesting stuff instead of just being interesting right away. They are so many Young adult stuff that has died because of this "yeah we are going to save cool stuff for the future" but the story you telling right now is kinda average and nobody is interested in it so there is no future. They were suppose to kill the Uptonian and his wife and in saving that as big move for the next season, it seem smart until you realize they didn't get a next season. I don't think the casual fans realize that 2 children were actually the stars of the property so the show failed big time in that aspect.

Darren Money on Twitter
    Holy **** if Jupiter's Legacy cost 200m no wonder they cancelled it. What a complete waste of money. I don't see anywhere near that level of money. It wasn't trash, but it was obviously mishandled in every way. Production, directing, writing. Netflix is the king of volume buying projects, and then abandoning them if they aren't an immediate hit. Their entire model is based on sheer volume of content. That means creators have to go for it like one season is all they will get and hope it blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Wow, that’s amazing. It had to bomb pretty badly. It did cost a lot and look ... subpar.
    A CW show trying to be adult, is the common refrain I've been hearing.

The cast was pretty, don't get me wrong. I may have a new celebrity crush with Utopian's daughter, too. But yeah, the execution was really lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Way too much time telling the back story of getting the powers. Ended with what should have been in ep 4.
    It would have been better if the flashbacks had taken us all the way to the big fallout with Sky Fox, so that when he shows up in the present their confrontation actually has some context. But I guess having a lot of flashbacks where they had no powers was a cost-saving move. I'm not upset by the cancellation, but I would have liked to see where it went.