• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1

3 12.50%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Best Harry Potter movie. Film making point of view Only

I am going to ignore the complaints that the movies did not necessary stay faithful to the books and a lot of things were cropped out.

However, imagine if you are became a fan of the series without reading the books, only watching the films. what will be the best harry potter film just from a quality and film making point of view? Let's try and be objective not subjective since subjectivism may be too influenced by your individual favourite.

I have allowed multiple choice since I believed it is tied between 3 movies.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-01-2021 at 01:33 PM.

BANNED

My favorite sequence in any of these movies is the animation sequence from Deathly Hallows Part 1:

Cuaron's POA is a very stylish movie, and certainly the only real movie you can say is directed from an aesthetic point of view.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Alfonso Cuaron rocks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    My favorite sequence in any of these movies is the animation sequence from Deathly Hallows Part 1:

Alfonso Cuarón's POA is a very stylish movie, and certainly the only real movie you can say is directed from an aesthetic point of view.
    Agreed about POA, This was the movie that was the turning point of the series meeting its potential for greatness even after later shortcoming with film 4 and 5.

I remember telling many of my sci-fi fans who were blown away by Gravity 2013 that it is the same director from POA. Alfonso Cuarón. So it fits.

Cuaron's POA is a very stylish movie, and certainly the only real movie you can say is directed from an aesthetic point of view.
    I usually extend that to Half Blood Prince, Deathly hallows 1 and 2 though ignoring how faithful the movies are to the books

Half Blood prince has one of the best use of cinematography in this millennium of movies, that is no fit of achievement for a blockbuster movie that on paper studios usually sees first as toy commercials and merchandise adverts.

Last edited by Castle; 03-01-2021 at 02:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Alfonso Cuaron rocks.
    Yeah he does.

Fans got hyped when rumours flew he was doing fantastic beasts but he said he wanted to stay away from movies that will require lots of cgi after Gravity so he declined to do the fantastic beasts prequels. shame.

Part 3. Not as kiddy as the first two and not as dark and doom and gloom as the later ones! It had the perfect tone in the film. Had scary parts and still funny scenes as well.

To me it's the best. The ones later get to dark and depression and lose the fun and fantasy parts of the early ones. I don't even care to re-watch the last three much. The third got the tone just right!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Part 3. Not as kiddy as the first two and not as dark and doom and gloom as the later ones! It had the perfect tone in the film. Had scary parts and still funny scenes as well.

To me it's the best. The ones later get to dark and depression and lose the fun and fantasy parts of the early ones. I don't even care to re-watch the last three much. The third got the tone just right!
    That was just following the books, again I reminded just how much things have changed in the last 15-20 years, about the dark and depressed issue, this was not even a thing, back then, it was heavily applauded that the series was growing.

the 2nd film, although with flaws was already changing a lot about the tone of entire series, the story arc of racism, social class, mudbloods and The Bassilik specifically targeting and trying to kill Muggleborns. It was very clear from then that Harry Potter was not Enid Blyton sort of fantasy.

The Harry Potter franchise has always been interesting to me personally because my least favorite book (Azkaban) was my favorite of the movies and my favorite of the books (Half-Blood Prince) was my least favorite of the movies.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

I remember watching all of the films opening day with my late wife (well, she wasn't late at the time)

I remember standing up from the third movie and saying to her with a big grin "Best one yet!" she looked at me and said "I am so disappointed."

Interestingly, I liked it because I thought an excellent job was done cutting out the unnecessary bits of the book. She was disappointed because so much was added to the movie that wasn't in the book, and they could have used the time to include more of the source material.

In the end, I think we were both right.

In my opinion, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was probably the best made movie. Both Deathly Hallows were very good, but you really needed to see the first one to get the second one. Prisoner of Azkaban was also good, but the kid's performances weren't quite there yet (Harry 'crying' on the stump after finding out that Sirius betrayed his parents. Yikes). Both Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were also very good (Daniel learned to cry- that scene with Cedric's body still gets me to tear up). And the first two are cute, but cringeworthy at time when it came to the acting.

With Half Blood Prince, everything was firing on all cylinders. The performances were great. The cinematography was gorgeous. The score was perfect. And everything clicked, at least for me.

On a personal note, I will say that Prisoner of Azkaban was the movie that got me back into reading the books, because I had to know what happened next. Up till that point, I had only read the first book.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. First time Harry met with the dark lord

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1.

The main reason is that it's very close to the book which is why splitting the last one into two parts was actually a very intelligent decision. The only thing that was shortened significantly was the camping trip and I am very grateful that it was because it was incredibly dull in the books.

The only thing I really disliked about this movie is that the almost completely cut off of “Kreacher’s tale”, one of my absolute favourite chapters in all seven books. But many other scenes like the polyjuice chase, breaking into the ministry to get the horcrux from Dolores Umbridge, the graveyard scene and the fight with Nagini at Bathilda’s house, the vision in the locket and the fight and Malfoy Manor including Dobby’s death were very well done. I loved the soundtrack because it fitted the rather dark atmosphere of this movie extremely well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    In my opinion, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was probably the best made movie. Both Deathly Hallows were very good, but you really needed to see the first one to get the second one. Prisoner of Azkaban was also good, but the kid's performances weren't quite there yet (Harry 'crying' on the stump after finding out that Sirius betrayed his parents. Yikes). Both Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were also very good (Daniel learned to cry- that scene with Cedric's body still gets me to tear up). And the first two are cute, but cringeworthy at time when it came to the acting.

With Half Blood Prince, everything was firing on all cylinders. The performances were great. The cinematography was gorgeous. The score was perfect. And everything clicked, at least for me.

On a personal note, I will say that Prisoner of Azkaban was the movie that got me back into reading the books, because I had to know what happened next. Up till that point, I had only read the first book.
    I liked the scoring of Half bland prince, the end music is gorgeous, Fawks flying off had such significance, But the first 3 films has the best use of music, Those were the John Williams era. does he show that he is perhaps the GOAT of music score.

POA is the best use music of the entire series. everything just came to together cinematically in just this one take.

Outstanding moment in the film from music, to VFX and dialogue.

Extraordinary Member

I never got the love for Prisoner of Azkaban. The pacing of the movie is totally off. It's really slow for much of the film, and then speeds up in the big reveal scene, the one scene that should have had a slower pace to let the revelations sink in. I also never understood why having the characters dress in more normal clothing was such a big deal and I hate Michael Gambon as Dumbledore.

In terms of quality filmmaking the last 2 movies really stepped it up. The cinematography was a step ahead, especially for the action scenes, and the emotional moments carried a much stronger punch. And they made me like the 19-years-later epilogue, when I found it trite at best in the book.

The first movie captures the sense of wonder, but between a slow pace, bad child acting, lack of humor, and the severe overuse of Hedwig's theme it's a difficult rewatch. Chamber of Secrets was a massive improvement in most respects. It had great humor, a better pace, better acting, and more mature use of the musical score. I feel like Prisoner of Azkaban gets too much credit for being different and its flaws get overlooked. Goblet of Fire is the bare skeleton of a story. Far too much of the book was cut out and I think it might have been better if it was 2 movies like the last book. Order of the Phoenix is good fun. Half Blood Prince is just sort of there. Nothing about it is horrible but nothing stands out. You could skip to Dumbledore's death and miss nothing. And the 2 Deathly Hallows films really nailed it as concluding chapters.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one I actually like. I do not understand the love that my generation has for those movies.

Fantastic Member

My top three would be just from a film-making POV

1. Goblet
    2. Socerers Stone
    3. Half Blood Prince
    4. Azkaban
    5. Secrets
    6. Phoenix
    7. Hallows 2
    8. Hallows 1