• Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

3 12.50%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1

3 12.50%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

3 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The best Harry Potter film overall, from an objective, artistic stand-point is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Period. And that's because of two reasons:
    - Alfonso Cuarón. His style, tone and artistry elevated everything.
    - the story was stand-alone and feels like a more complete achievement (which most of the early films enjoyed, and the later films suffered without).

The acting is just better, the scope of what is being explored is more satisfactory, it FELT like an actual year at school (the last three films together felt like three weeks in their lives). It's just the best film of the series, because artistically it's the most realised as a finished, stand-alone film.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-03-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The best Harry Potter film overall, from an objective, artistic stand-point is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Period. And that's because of two reasons:
    - the story was stand-alone and feels like a more complete achievement (which most of the early films enjoyed, and the later films suffered without).

The acting is just better, the scope of what is being explored is more satisfactory, it FELT like an actual year at school (the last three films together felt like three weeks in their lives). It's just the best film of the series, because artistically it's the most realised as a finished, stand-alone film.
    I already said this on another thread although it was more on another franchise about POA and Cuarón. POA will forever dominate as the best film.

I also agree with the full school year feel, seeing the characters in normal clothing for the first time was one of the best acts to show that, also Harry learning the expecto patronum charm all through the film, did feel like a course you take for a year.

Astonishing Member

Agreed. POA is definitely the best film overall. Half Blood Prince is a close second, and the Deathly Hallows films are great too, but I guess part of their greatness lies in the fact that the books they're based on are great. POA is a great book too, but the movie really elevated it IMO, and its easy to appreciate it as a great film on its own merits, rather than 'just' as an adaptation of a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The Harry Potter franchise has always been interesting to me personally because my least favorite book (Azkaban) was my favorite of the movies and my favorite of the books (Half-Blood Prince) was my least favorite of the movies.
    I feel the same way about Goblet of Fire. The book was one of my favorites (surpassed only by Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows). The movie was a mess!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Agreed. POA is definitely the best film overall. Half Blood Prince is a close second, and the Deathly Hallows films are great too, but I guess part of their greatness lies in the fact that the books they're based on are great. POA is a great book too, but the movie really elevated it IMO, and its easy to appreciate it as a great film on its own merits, rather than 'just' as an adaptation of a great book.

I feel the same way about Goblet of Fire. The book was one of my favorites (surpassed only by Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows). The movie was a mess!
    I view Goblet of fire in two different ways.

1. As a high school movie or teen movie is great and really captures childhood adolescence and teen crushes and prom dates and having to interact with people from other schools.

2. As a fantasy movie
    It's good but not great, more could have been done. I heard this was the first time WB talked about splitting the books into two films.

As a fantasy series, goblet of fire reminds me of why game of thrones worked so well. it's on tv not movies because there were just so many characters. it's the same with goblet of fire, the film had so many characters and failed to juggle them well. we didn't even see much of Cedric Diggory.

In 2021 , I will have to comment that this is the most colorful cast of characters harry potter had, so much diverse people of color, however more could have been done.

Voldermort's return in Goblet of Fire was one of the most darkest moment in any fantasy movie and along with Prisoner of Asakban, it was a top 3 redefining moment of the series run.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-04-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The Harry Potter franchise has always been interesting to me personally because my least favorite book (Azkaban) was my favorite of the movies and my favorite of the books (Half-Blood Prince) was my least favorite of the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I view Goblet of fire in two different ways.

1. As a high school movie or teen movie is great and really captures childhood adolescence and teen crushes and prom dates and having to interact with people from other schools.

2. As a fantasy movie
    It's good but not great, more could have been done. I heard this was the first time WB talked about splitting the books into two films.

As a fantasy series, goblet of fire reminds me of why game of thrones worked so well. it's on tv not movies because there were just so many characters. it's the same with goblet of fire, the film had so many characters and failed to juggle them well. we didn't even see much of Cedric Diggory.

In 2021 , I will have to comment that this is the most colorful cast of characters harry potter had, so much diverse people of color, however more could have been done.

Voldermort's return was one of the most darkest moment in any fantasy movie
    Good points! Yeah, it certainly felt more like a 'high school' movie than most of the other ones...especially with the Triwizard tournament and the Yule Ball and stuff.

I guess my issues with it mainly stem from how it doesn't coherently translate the plot from the book properly and leaves a lot of stuff out. I doubt the whole Barty Crouch Jr. subplot would have been understood by anyone who hadn't read the book. Even POA leaves out stuff about the Marauders, but it doesn't make it difficult to follow the overall plot (assuming you haven't read the book), plus the film-making in other aspects more than makes up for it.

I liked the last film because some real sh!t finally happened.. I felt like they were dancing around for it too long and when it actually happened, it was pretty cool and emotional.

BANNED

I will say that an advantage Deathly Hallows has is that the ending was much more comprehensively written than the book. The ultimate resolution was almost indecipherable in the books. It wasn't until the movie that I actually understood how it all worked out.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is pretty much the gold standard for Harry Potter films as far as I'm concerned...

but I love them all, hands down my favourite film franchise.