Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Writer and editor KJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The U.K.
    Posts
    1,597

    Default WandaVision in Sunnydale

    ***WandaVision spoilers ahead***


    ---------------------------------------------------------------


    In episode 8 of WandaVision, we saw Wanda Maximoff arrive in Westview and visit the plot of land where she and Vision were going to build their new home before he died. Her grief then caused her to alter the town to resemble a sitcom setting, with the town's inhabitants all under her spell, essentially operating as puppets in the "cast" that became her perfect life.

    What would happen if that plot of land was in Sunnydale, California (a composite version of the town from Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-7, so all of its inhabitants in that period were present)?

    Could the Scoobies figure out what was happening to them and fix it? Would Wanda's power even affect the likes of Glory, Adam and the other powerful villains who'd be in this composite version of the town? What "roles" in the show would the most memorable characters from BtVS play in Wanda's altered version of the town? Would Anya/Emma Caulfield experience a form of Déjà vu?

    Basically, what would happen if WandaVision happened in composite TV Sunnydale?

  2. #2
    Prince of Duckness Beadle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,602

    Default

    Adam would be one of the easiest. His tech wouldn’t even work in the earlier shows. Wanda’s repeatedly shown the ability to transform high tech into low tech, and I doubt his willpower is enough to resist Wanda’s control.

    I guess the next might be the Spike/Drusilla/Angelus trifecta. Not sure if they could resist. Maybe? Especially Angelus...?

    I suspect the Master might be a stretch too far.

    We already know from Agatha that witches don’t readily fall for Wanda’s stuff, so Dark Willow and the Trio are a bit of a nightmare for her.

    Glory or The First Evil? No. Just... no. She’s dead.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,643

    Default

    Well let's start with this: when the town was hit with various mind control effects, was anyone immune to them? The town has been taken over at least twice off the top of my head: when everyone was in love with Xander and the musical episode. I don't recall anyone being specifically resistant. Connor was immune to the hypnosis of that rotting goddess lady, as I recall, but he was also already on board and didn't need to be hypnotized.


    Illaya seems like she might be immune. But then again, she and Connor were never actually in Sunnydale, were they? I'm not sure Glory gets a pass because she does get taken over by her other half pretty often, although I wouldn't be surprised if only half of that equation got controlled.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,870

    Default

    There was also the Gary Stu spell, which seemed to affect everyone.

  5. #5
    Cruel and Unusual Twickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    There was also the Gary Stu spell, which seemed to affect everyone.
    Everyone *except* Adam.

  6. #6
    Safari Grandma Sophicles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    488

    Default

    The First Evil would talk Wanda into killing herself. Short of that, there's nothing the First could actually physically do to her, besides play on her emotions to manipulate her.

  7. #7
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    ***WandaVision spoilers ahead***


    ---------------------------------------------------------------


    In episode 8 of WandaVision, we saw Wanda Maximoff arrive in Westview and visit the plot of land where she and Vision were going to build their new home before he died. Her grief then caused her to alter the town to resemble a sitcom setting, with the town's inhabitants all under her spell, essentially operating as puppets in the "cast" that became her perfect life.

    What would happen if that plot of land was in Sunnydale, California (a composite version of the town from Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-7, so all of its inhabitants in that period were present)?

    Could the Scoobies figure out what was happening to them and fix it? Would Wanda's power even affect the likes of Glory, Adam and the other powerful villains who'd be in this composite version of the town? What "roles" in the show would the most memorable characters from BtVS play in Wanda's altered version of the town? Would Anya/Emma Caulfield experience a form of Déjà vu?

    Basically, what would happen if WandaVision happened in composite TV Sunnydale?
    The first thing I thought of was that the Hellmouth under the town might not be affected.

    Adam is an interesting case because we have specific evidence of his being unaffected by a reality altering spell that affected humans, demons and vampires alike.

    I don't think the First Evil would be affected. Not sure on Glory. I don't especially see why the Master would not be affected.

    Even if vampires and demons were affected and believed they were basically 1950s sitcom characters, they are still soulless beings. Would their basic evil nature remain?
    Power with Girl is better.

  8. #8
    The Revan.....lives! Oswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Adam would be one of the easiest. His tech wouldn’t even work in the earlier shows. Wanda’s repeatedly shown the ability to transform high tech into low tech, and I doubt his willpower is enough to resist Wanda’s control.
    I'm sure he would function, Vision also had a low tech body (on the inside atleast) in the earlier episodes, when a piece of gum managed to malfunction him, but everything else worked as it always had. So adam would function, and i'm sure he would know something is wrong, but he wouldnt be able to do much about it. You could say it was played for laughs, but all tech managed to function, although in a lesser extent sometime. he might look like a robot from the twilight zone era.

    I guess the next might be the Spike/Drusilla/Angelus trifecta. Not sure if they could resist. Maybe? Especially Angelus...?
    They arent resisting anything. unless someone breaks/unbreaks Angel's curse then the counterpart might know something is wrong. They resisted Jasmine specifcally because demons could do that ith jasmine's love aura.


    We already know from Agatha that witches don’t readily fall for Wanda’s stuff, so Dark Willow and the Trio are a bit of a nightmare for her.
    She entered the hex when it was made, already knowing what it was. (not fully but still) i think she made the necessary arrangements to resist it. not sure she would have if she just happened to be there when the mini big bang occurred. the witch scoobies have been effected by lesser illusions/mindcontrol/mindwipes.

    Glory .
    She could resist it, or maybe not. It's a toss up for me. I dont think we have enough feats for her to say either way. unless im forgetting something.

  9. #9
    "Emma is STILL right! Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    There was also the Gary Stu spell, which seemed to affect everyone.
    Was that the "Superstar" episode where Jonathan was the biggest celebrity in the world? Cause that was the first episode that popped into my head with this thread.

    There was also the Halloween episode where everyone became exactly like the costume they were wearing. Buffy became a weak debutante from the 18th century. I don't see any of the regular reoccurring characters initially resisting the hex, but they may eventually find the strength of will to break out of it's influence if something triggers it like Monica recalling Pietro's death. Monica was also resistant to it's effects upon returning to the hex, although this may be due solely to her newly acquired power set.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

  10. #10
    Cruel and Unusual Twickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Really, this board operates on feats. God or not, Glory has no feats of resisting reality warping, transmutation-mind control, Wandavision-style. She probably gets turned into a sassy neighbor or something.

    The *only* characters who have a hope of resisting are Adam (who *has* feats of ignoring reality warping), Willow due to witch shenanigans and the First Evil, which is a distributed concept and isn't even really a *thing* per se. The rest get rewritten.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-02-2021 at 11:33 AM.

  11. #11
    Cruel and Unusual Twickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    .
    Even if vampires and demons were affected and believed they were basically 1950s sitcom characters, they are still soulless beings. Would their basic evil nature remain?
    Would it matter? *None* of the characters are acting on their free will, save for what Wanda has "mercifully" given them (ensuring married people stay together, etc.) . They can be as monstrous as they can be on the inside, the script will still force them to play a role according to Wanda's desires regardless.
    Last edited by Twickster; 03-02-2021 at 11:31 AM.

  12. #12
    The Revan.....lives! Oswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    714

    Default

    i don't see how willow or tara can just resist the initial hex bang, give her some knowledge beforehand and sure she can come up with something. But right out of the gate? she has always been as easily controlled as the other scoobies, hell she even mindwiped herself by accident.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator The Watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Really, this board operates on feats. God or not, Glory has no feats of resisting reality warping, transmutation-mind control, Wandavision-style. She probably gets turned into a sassy neighbor or something.

    The *only* characters who have a hope of resisting are Adam (who *has* feats of ignoring reality warping), Willow due to witch shenanigans and the First Evil, which is a distributed concept and isn't even really a *thing* per se. The rest get rewritten.
    I would posit that not even the First Evil might not get entirely off the hook. The entirety of him might not be affected but he might be constrained on how he expresses himself within the Hex, limited to only sitcom comedy evil (like the old devil on the shoulder gag).
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Hiromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

    We already know from Agatha that witches don’t readily fall for Wanda’s stuff, so Dark Willow and the Trio are a bit of a nightmare for her.
    Agatha is able to resist and restrain Wanda through a combination of prep and experience(which Wanda completely lacks), and she's also unusually powerful herself given her origin had her overpowering an entire coven of assumedly more experienced Witches

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,841

    Default

    Wasn't Adam also eventually defeated by the First Slayer using reality warping? That suggests that his resistance isn't absolute.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •