Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much X of Swords do I have to read?

I fell off the comics bandwagon last year temporarily, as happens occasionally. Pandemic, personal stuff, blah blah etc. Starting to dig back in now.

I see the X line had a huge crossover event (sigh/groan). How much of that should I read to follow what's happening? I've had a subscription to the main "X-Men" book and "X-Force," so the past several months' issues of those are sitting around my apartment unopened as yet. Will I be lost if I read just those issues? Do I need to read the 3 installments of the central "X of Swords" book by Hickman and Howard?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I fell off the comics bandwagon last year temporarily, as happens occasionally. Pandemic, personal stuff, blah blah etc. Starting to dig back in now.

I see the X line had a huge crossover event (sigh/groan). How much of that should I read to follow what's happening? I've had a subscription to the main "X-Men" book and "X-Force," so the past several months' issues of those are sitting around my apartment unopened as yet. Will I be lost if I read just those issues? Do I need to read the 3 installments of the central "X of Swords" book by Hickman and Howard?

Thanks.
    I think just the Hickman issues will give you a story, though if I remember correctly, Hickman barely touches the actual tournament (the weakest part of the event). So you get a story about Arako and Apocalypse, and the interdimensional war. It’s a strange crossover, but worth the read I’d say.

Since it’s still a pretty fresh event, if you’re strapped for cash, I’d check on ebay for X of Sword runs. In a couple years time the issues could bump up or down, but right now you can get a pretty cheap collection of issues.

If you can get it all I say read all of it. It got.....odd, in monthly format but once I could read it in one sitting I really enjoyed it.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Thank you both. That's all useful.

I also know the giant collection of all the crossover issues just came out - it's likely that at least one of the three library systems we have in NYC gets it soon, although there might be a waiting list months long for it.

BANNED

I can't recommend it, honestly, as it wasn't very good and was a complete mess in tone.

Basically, there is another island sort of like Krakoa with some mutants on it and some of those mutants may come into play later. Also, Cypher from New Mutants got married to one of the mutants from the other island for comic relief. Also Betsy disappeared but is coming back next couple of issues.

That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I can't recommend it, honestly, as it wasn't very good and was a complete mess in tone.

Basically, there is another island sort of like Krakoa with some mutants on it and some of those mutants may come into play later. Also, Cypher from New Mutants got married to one of the mutants from the other island for comic relief. Also Betsy disappeared but is coming back next couple of issues.

That's pretty much it.
    Agree. I would only read:

X of Swords: Creation #1
    X of Swords: Stasis #1
    X of Swords: Destruction #1

gorgeous art and they capture the main storyline enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Agree. I would only read:

X of Swords: Creation #1
    X of Swords: Stasis #1
    X of Swords: Destruction #1

gorgeous art and they capture the main storyline enough.
    Completely agree. Only Larraz and Gracia issues.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If you have the reading list, the books from Creation to Stasis are good then it's kinda weak with only the X-Force, Wolverine, and X-Men issues being good. Destruction is an alright conclusion.
    "Cable was right!"

If you don't want to read the whole thing I'd suggest:

1) X OF SWORDS: CREATION #1 (Great book)
    2) X-FACTOR #4 (it is important to show why there is a big risk in going to Otherworld. This rises the stakes for the whole event).

Then I would skip these next ones, because they are like side stories, something like tie-ins: WOLVERINE #6, X-FORCE #13, MARAUDERS #13, HELLIONS #5, NEW MUTANTS #13, CABLE #5, EXCALIBUR #13, X-MEN #13.
    You could grab some if you are really invested in the character that is focused in a certain issue.

3) X OF SWORDS: STASIS #1 (very important)

4) X-MEN #14 (if you have not read the prologue in X-men 12, this has an important flashback to undestand the whole Arakko stuff).

I'd skip the dinner and tournament issues, because the tone takes off all the seriousness of the story: MARAUDERS #14, MARAUDERS #15, EXCALIBUR #14, WOLVERINE #7, X-FORCE #14, HELLIONS #6, CABLE #6. You will miss some beats, but you can understand what happened.

The last 3 issues are great, I highly recommend:

5) X-MEN #15 (this one less than the next two, but it shows some cool decisions being made by the mutants of Krakoa)
    6) EXCALIBUR #15 (great action, really)
    7)X OF SWORDS: DESTRUCTION #1. (amazing finale)

I can always count on X-fans to bring the detailed analysis and the strong opinions. Appreciated, all.

Other then the artwork, you could skip it.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Read the whole thing. It's fun!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

That's pretty much it.
    It was hardly an "x-event". You can just replace the X-Men with Avengers and the story will be smooth lol

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I agree with those who mentioned the series should be skipped.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Read the whole thing. It's fun!
    Agreed. I thought it was really enjoyable from start to end, with fun writing and great art. It also plants the seeds for future stories to be picked up in various books so I'd recommend reading it in its entirety.