Mighty Member

Default Stuff in TV/Radio (etc). Ads you can't believe they got away with

I remember back in '87 I was in high school pottery class and we had the radio on. They had a religious ad that said something like this:

"remember the days when a suicide made the headlines, divorce was unheard of and nobody knew what a gay or lesbian was? It was the days when... children went to Sunday school"

Even for the eighties in a small coastal Australian town it was pretty arrogant.

What other garbage do YOU remember or have seen recently?

I can't believe they get away with the Kars for Kids scam.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

There was a big church in the state I grew up in. They did a series of family stay together ads and anti gay ads.

Like one had a mom and dad fighting in front of a kid The mom says she wants a divorce. Cut to ten years later the kid now a teen is shooting up. He looks at the camera and says if only my parents stayed together.

The anti gay one has a teen about 13 or so looking at a male model magazine. Then in the locker room checking out topless guys. His parents find out and send him to one of those gay conversion camps that he runs away from. Cut to ten years later he is in a court room where a judge is about to pass sentence on him for raping underaged boys. He looks at his parents and says man if I had just stayed in that camp I wouldnt be a queer child molester.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Funny thing Family Guy just did a joke about them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The local all-news radio station here in Philly runs ads for them daily. The jingle drives me up the wall and makes me kill the volume.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

We also had these in OZ during the late 80's early 90's. An alarmist AIDS ad and a very risque ad involving an echidna (aka Spiny anteater)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9f378T49E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrOWhxA46Q

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    I remember back in '87 I was in high school pottery class and we had the radio on. They had a religious ad that said something like this:

"remember the days when a suicide made the headlines, divorce was unheard of and nobody knew what a gay or lesbian was? It was the days when... children went to Sunday school"

Even for the eighties in a small coastal Australian town it was pretty arrogant.

What other garbage do YOU remember or have seen recently?
    This sounds familiar to me.

Well... this was a rather long time ago. There was an commercial for color contacts in the 90's and this woman comes in and her eyes are brown (though she still looks like a model) and they do the sound and look of a tape rewinding and show the girl with purple or blue eyes instead. They actually said "Ewww, brown?" When I really thunk about it (I was about 18-20), as I already thought about the audacity, I kept thinking about all the different races where the majority have brown eyes. I try to think of it as thoughtless now rather than intentional but sometimes...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-01-2021 at 08:56 PM.