Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
I never saw what others saw in Alex Saviuk's art. I believe he was just a kid when he came to work in comics--14 or so. And while that was interesting to me, I felt like he was too young and should have used the time to go to art school and improve his skills rather than doing work that he wasn't really prepared to do. For a kid it was okay, but it looked inept next to the pros. I was always conflicted about his work--because I felt sympathy for him, yet I hated his artwork and I never understood why he kept getting so much work. I just don't see what's good about it.

I don't know Saviuk's backstory, but I do remember being disappointed in his tenures on both Flash and Green Lantern.

It didn't help that he had to follow Irv Novick and Mike Grell, but he just didn't have "it."

I think Irv Novick is very underappreciated as an artist. He co-created Archie's Shield character in late 1939, and really updated his style to fit then-current comics in the 1960s and 1970s.

I think he was very instrumental and really didn't get his due for his part in updating Batman and returning him to a more serious character after the campy 60s. He drew pivotal stories like Batman 217's "One Bullet Too Many," which saw Dick Grayson leave for college and Bruce take residence in the Penthouse apartment, which really set the tone for Bronze Age Batman. Novick's Flash was the one I grew up reading in the 1970s, and it will always be a favorite of mine. For an artist to stay relevant from the 1940s through the 1970s and beyond was a testament to his work.