Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yeah that was stupid. They lasted all of 5mins. They are supposed to be this big thing...how are Earths mightest heroes supposed to defeat Darkseid?

But she did pull a bait and switch. They all thought they'd compete for Wonder Woman, not Queen.
    Went back over it with it and it really doesn't feel like it to me, though I can see how you can see it like that. But there wasn't the traditional contest tournament. Instead it's Hippolyta scaring off some would be claimants by making them think they're playing Russian roulette with Medusa's head, and Nubia is the only one around to get the whole "I want you to be queen, while I go off and be Wonder Woman" surprise. And Nubia doesn't actually seem to feel cheated by the situation. It's quite a bit different than it was made to sound in the rumors.

Anyway the random Amazon street brawl was what struck me as more out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Let me see:

•Flash - Wally
    • Batgirl - Steph and Cass
    •Green Lantern - not Hal Jordan
    •Oracle - exists
    •Roy Harper - alive
    •Aquaman - bearded

Plus, a bunch of new people. If Jason Todd would not be so sttuborn about being alive, this would be a status quo specifically aimed at my preference. But I can deal.
    Three Batgirls. Babs is still Batgirl in Nightwing.

Green Lantern is eight people.

Aquaman is bearded and shirtless and therefore my least favorite look for Aquaman .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Grifter was hired as Lucius Fox's bodyguard post Joker War so he's staying as long as Joker's at large

Laughs got his old body back after his Darkest Knight body is destroyed? (Last time I think Batman used it as one of his Black Lantern corpse)

Oh right I was planning to get this but since I haven't paid that much attention to the later part of Rebirth I decided to wait and studied up the lore a bit.

Did they mention what's the consequences that The Hand told Diana?
    Darkseid is back to pre-COIE Jack Kirby power levels, I thought was the gist? That certainly SHOULD be a consequence so big that it scares everybody. Thank god his costume is back to being monolithic. No more "I'm a garish fragmented edgy new shard of the Whole Darkseid". Still I for one adored Darkseid monologuing about how "Look at this new Infinite Frontier of possibility and hope ... know this ... Darkseid IS FINITE" language play. Of course if you see an infinite playground and giant sandbox with no edges to play in Darkseid comes along and is like "I cut all the ropes on the rings, sawed off the monkey bars and crapped in the sandbox. Wallow in your misery, children."

But if that was the "Cost" it's probably too early in the Line Revamp and will be more of "Consequence # 1: The Red Herring One".

I'm fond of Super-Dad but not all that fond of post-Bendis Teenager-Jon so I'm giving Superman's new writer a shot (liked the tone at least) but not ultra hyped. Following Batman semi-regularly out of curiosity but not ultra hyped. I am ultra hyped on Nightwing and Batgirls but more on that later. Skeptical but want to be optimistic about Titans Academy because I've been literally mentioning Justice University pitches here and there on the internet for ages and someone is finally making a book. Wait-and-see approach to Bendis JLA. Excited about Flash maybe though.

But what I'm really curious about is this long overdue expansion of the Wonder Woman corner of the DCU into a line. Yara looks really interesting. Nubia has always been interesting and is finally getting a real push. Hippolyta reentering the world stage and being Wonder Woman on the Justice (Insert Team) once more? Count me in as down for it, she's been a fun substitute Wonder Woman before. Diana being like "nah, you can keep God-Hood ... fetch me my Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery Costume and YES I am going to wear BRAIDS!" was lovely. If we can see Diana and the sort of 'society of Amazons and related' carve out a really interesting universe, get some good boosting for Donna and Cassie and Artemis as well, some good Steve Trevor adventures? Count me in. Equal parts classic villains, new villains and meeting gods of various pantheons? Maybe get Steve Orlando back involved? Come on, count me in and take my money.

My high-level hype is for what was probably the lowest key preview; Williamson/Maleev on the Arrowverse. I don't think Green Arrow has been underserved in the recent long run. Lemire/Sorrention/Cowan run was fantastic even saddled with New 52 restraints and I'm a serious Percy run apologist - I think his Divergence endrun started a little iffy but once they got Ferreyra and Schmitt and were able to do the holistic full on Rebirth treatment I loved that run and think it's an underrated gem.

The trouble is that between these solid runs Green Arrow always has these like extended time-waster runs where they tread water and aren't great (kind of like Nightwing's books) and then they're invariably cancelled (unlike Nightwing's which live that purgatory until line-wide revamps). Too many lackluster issues in between decent runs, so the balance of quality is outweighed in a way that's less than flattering. This looks lovely. It's such a big corner of the DCU he gets to own and since he's running Damian's story and keystoning the Al Ghul Lazarus side of things ... man it looks like Williamson/Maleev/Melnikov is going to be doing the full O'Neil & Adams side of the DCU and I expect (get those up there) to see Richard Dragon, The Question, Bronze Tiger and several others. Deadman. The Sensei. Merlyn. Ra's al Ghul. Roy. Cheshire. Hell, give me Sportsmaster, Cheshire and the Tigresses finally.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-02-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Went back over it with it and it really doesn't feel like it to me, though I can see how you can see it like that. But there wasn't the traditional contest tournament. Instead it's Hippolyta scaring off some would be claimants by making them think they're playing Russian roulette with Medusa's head, and Nubia is the only one around to get the whole "I want you to be queen, while I go off and be Wonder Woman" surprise. And Nubia doesn't actually seem to feel cheated by the situation. It's quite a bit different than it was made to sound in the rumors.

Anyway the random Amazon street brawl was what struck me as more out of place.
    They were all fighting to see who would be the next WW (the least Amazonian thing EVER) and Hipp says nothing about "who stares at this will be Queen" she doesnt reveal her intentions until after she crowns Nubia, telling a shocked Nubia that she'll be Queen while Hipp takes Dianas place. It was just a whole big thing of bad writing in general imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They were all fighting to see who would be the next WW (the least Amazonian thing EVER) and Hipp says nothing about "who stares at this will be Queen" she doesnt reveal her intentions until after she crowns Nubia, telling a shocked Nubia that she'll be Queen while Hipp takes Dianas place. It was just a whole big thing of bad writing in general imo.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Feels like they could've come up with a better reintroduction of Nubia, although writing Hippolyta off Themyscira was always going to be a hard sell.

So I’m really only interested in the Stargirl story. Was it a new story or basically a reintroduction / old material?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Let me see:

•Flash - Wally
    • Batgirl - Steph and Cass
    •Green Lantern - not Hal Jordan
    •Oracle - exists
    •Roy Harper - alive
    •Aquaman - bearded

Plus, a bunch of new people. If Jason Todd would not be so sttuborn about being alive, this would be a status quo specifically aimed at my preference. But I can deal.
    It sure feels like Javins' editorial tenure will be as enamored with the late 90s and early 2000s as Didio's editorial reign was focused on reliving the 70s & 80s.

I just hope everyone's ready when it all cycles back again in a few years

I think there's a lot to love about this. Wally is back as the main Flash with Barry given something meaty to do that suits his character. John is finally getting to be the driver of the GL franchise for the first time since 1985, but the rest of the GLs aren't being killed off, crippled or villainized. There's an acknowledgement of all DC's history, even the parts that DC has tried its damndest to "fix" only to make them worse like the Seven Soliders of Victory. And President Superman is looking to be an even larger part of the DCU moving forward.

I'm sure, like with all DC relaunches, it'll be a mixed bag. They'll be some duds and some hits and some base hits. Either way, I'm looking forward to what DC tries next as it looks to be trying to take what worked from earlier eras but without making the same mistakes.

I wish them luck and hope AT&T doesn't #@&% this up for them.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    So I’m really only interested in the Stargirl story. Was it a new story or basically a reintroduction / old material?
    More of a reintroduction. It was just 4 pages and laying down Stargirls basic foundation. It was one of my favorite parts of the comic though. John's is good and you have Naucks fun art that fit perfectly.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    It was essentially a reintroduction of the characters. It was similar to the 30 second primers that the CW shows have to set up who everyone is and why they're doing what they're doing. If that's all you were interested in, I would skip it.

The only new wrinkle is that the Seven Soliders of Victory get to have the Golden Age Green Arrow & Speedy again. GA has brown hair, so they're likely going with him and Ollie being two different guys and they'll just never mention that the original was also named Oliver Queen or come up with an alternate name for him. Given that they had completely different origins, making the current day Ollie & Roy be inspired by the originals from the 40s works just fine. I'm surprised they didn't do this decades ago.

If Diana's origin is sticking with the daughter of Hippolyta & Zeus angle, where does that leave Nubia? Can she get the clay origin? Or is this Nubia no longer the daughter of Hippolyta?

Astonishing Member

That was the case for the post-Crisis Nubia.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Happy for Darkseid to finally get some respect,
    but the Big Bad of the event seems to be the being that the Quintessence locked away on Earth-Omega instead of Darkseid.
    He has been getting respect seans 2008 and power ups Sean's 2010.

I only liked two things:

1. Wally as The Flash
    2. A new GA Book with Alex Maleev in art duties, but sadly under Williamson's Pen.

I found the rest to be very bland and generic. I didn't like the dialogs at all, except for the Yara part.
    I was kinda excited about GL, but the new writer picked my two least favorite GLs and gave them the book. And his FS story was kinda meh.

Things aren't looking good for me. At this point I will get Yara's book... and maybe GA and Flash if they are good.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think there's a lot to love about this. Wally is back as the main Flash with Barry given something meaty to do that suits his character. John is finally getting to be the driver of the GL franchise for the first time since 1985, but the rest of the GLs aren't being killed off, crippled or villainized. There's an acknowledgement of all DC's history, even the parts that DC has tried its damndest to "fix" only to make them worse like the Seven Soliders of Victory. And President Superman is looking to be an even larger part of the DCU moving forward.
    For some reason it just doesn't do it for me.

Like, I get it, Barry helped introduce the Multiverse, he's a nerd who loves science stuff, but I just don't read him as going off on inter-dimensional dimensions and leaving Earth-1 indefinitely. And he's been focused on so much other stuff than the Multiverse lately.

(Is Iris not going to go with him?)

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It sure feels like Javins' editorial tenure will be as enamored with the late 90s and early 2000s as Didio's editorial reign was focused on reliving the 70s & 80s.
    I really doubt that. Javins* tenure is looking like it will be one of reconciliation. The only reason the status quo presented here feels late 90's heavy is because those were the characters that got mistreated the most, so when DC extends their hand and try to say "look, we're done being dicks to you guys", those will get the most focus first. The ones that were actually broken, for the fanbases that were actually pissed off. Going foward, everyone is pretty much getting their share of the cake, I'm sure.

*Doesn't it feel great when you write the name of an EIC to talk about an EIC doing their job?
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!