Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This book was uneven. Some stuff ruled, some didn't. Really unhappy to see The Spectre jobbing and possibly killed to re establish Darkseid, but what else is new?

Wally being Flash again is great. Loved seeing Jade and Obsidian back, with Byrne's art being solid. Waiting to see what's coming next with Alan because while I'm not against the retcon, they gotta stick the landing. Having him walking out on his wives and cheating on them will completely turn me on the decision and I'll be fiercely against the retcon. Don't scumbag him!

Still don't like Jon being stronger than his dad, but I do like that he's proving those with doubts wrong.

Tynion's era of Batman is proving to be one I don't much care about, sadly. It's all about the Batfam for me currently, which is a shame because I miss reading about Bruce regularly and yet I may only get one I care about in Batman/Superman.

I can see what Bored meant by the Carlin era having a bit of a resurgence.

Ollie and Dinah. Love to see it. Good for Roy being back.

No JSA, but the hints that Alan is going to be trying to find them and rebuild? That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    Since there is already a well known and established Panther Royalty in another universe why in the name of Rao would you put one on Nubia's crown? Unoriginal at best, law suit waiting to happen at worst.

Love seeing Jade and Obsidian return. Alan saying he is gay is not welcome however. In the past he was married to one woman which is no small feat. Retcon! Now he's been married multiple times. This is the terrible part: Alan knew he was gay way back in the JSA days and told some of his team mates. Then he marries women anyway. Alan knows it's not real. Some of the JSA members know it's not real. But the poor women he marries are clueless what they've just gotten into. You talk about victimizing people! Chances are good Alan cheated on these women. Once you've had the courage to tell people, you've pretty much settled on your sexual preference. At least in my experience. So boo to this.
    Imagine seeing a black monarch and thinking "well there can only be one of those, that's copyright infringement." They're an isolationist nation, sure, but that's pretty much the only other comparison. Atlantis is an isolationist technologically advanced hidden warrior nation, but hey, their leader's white so Marvel you can't sue. Wait, they have one of those as well. Oops! Come on, dude. This is just stupid.

Imagine pretending to know so much about Alan's history and forgetting he was married twice. Once to Rose Canton (Rose and Thorn) and later to Molly Mayne. We literally know nothing about what the retcon did to those marriages. Was Alan a scumbag and walking out on his wives? Did he tell them forthright and they acted as his beards? Was he trying to force himself straight convinced his feelings were as wrong as he was told? We don't know. That story's untold. But like with Nubia, you've seemingly decided it's a bad call and are grasping at weak reasoning to justify it. Moreover, not everyone has the same response to coming out about their sexuality. Like with Nubia taking the crown, you again seem to think there's only one lane. Odd, dude. Real odd.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-05-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I haven't picked up Batman since #50 so why is Bruce supposedly broke and what's going on with the Fox Family?
    Joker stole his fortune, then Selina stole it back but gave it to the Fox family.

I don't remember the details but I think it's because Joker's accountant made it so Joker owned the Wayne Fortune legally, so Selina, hiring the same accountant, can only transfer it to Fox. So now it's gonna take time for Bruce to get the money back from Lucius because it's legally his now. So for now, he's "broke"

Something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Joker stole his fortune, then Selina stole it back but gave it to the Fox family.

I don't remember the details but I think it's because Joker's accountant made it so Joker owned the Wayne Fortune legally, so Selina, hiring the same accountant, can only transfer it to Fox. So now it's gonna take time for Bruce to get the money back from Lucius because it's legally his now. So for now, he's "broke"

Something like that
    Sounds rather stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Sounds rather stupid.
    It is. They want to take Batman back to basics and think that the big problem is his money instead of, well, Batgod.

He’s not even technically broke, he’s a millionaire instead of a billionaire now because if I recall from issue 101 Fox gave him the choice of a buyout “generous annual fee” for his control in Wayneindustries or giving him his money back but the government doing an investigation because joker set him up in Joker war and as Lucius says the government has his eyes on his money.
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-05-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    . . . Also Alan isn't suddenly gay he was closeted gay and it is a common enough story of a man keeping up appearances of being straight even having a wife and children. It fits the past stories you read with him.
    Have you read EVERY story of his that I have?

Then don't try to feed me that "he was always closeted" line. If I remember correctly, they decided to make him gay for the New52 reinvented version as a nod to his son Obsidian, who no longer was part of continuity back then.

But we have Obsidian back in the picture now. However, somebody (Tynion maybe?) decided to change original Golden Age Alan and say he was ALWAYS gay. It may be DC's prerogative, but it's still just a load of crap to me. (I was even thinking about buying that 80th Anniversary Green Lantern Special just for an Alan story until I heard what Tynion did with that.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My problems with Alan "coming out" in the issue are many. I think Tynion is a heavy-handed, usually mediocre (at best) writer, so that didn't help.
    I also don't accept Alan as now suddenly being gay. It doesn't fit with the past stories I read with him in it, and it seems a gratuitous decision.
    That it doesn't fit with past stories is exactly the point and there's nothing sudden about it, not for Alan Scott. In the 40s (and for a long time after) a closeted gay man would have worked hard not appear to be gay unless/until they came out of the closet, and it would have been so important to them to keep what was then considered an abominable secret that they would have succeeded in that. That the entire JSA wouldn't include at least one closeted, queer member defies reason and logic and is insulting in all sorts of ways, including to readers' intelligence.

So it is the opposite of gratuitous and if a new character were created for this purpose, it would defeat that purpose. The point is to show the pain and difficulty of being LGBTQ when it was unacceptable to be so, especially for a public figure and really especially for a public figure that's also a superhero. It would have been impossible then for an out gay man to have been an inspiration or role model. It had to be an existing character that appeared to be 'straight' in the past, but wasn't, in order to make the point.

For each of those reasons, for years I've been calling for a JSA member to have been queer but closeted and I wanted it to be Alan Scott specifically because he was married with children. Virtually every closeted gay man back then was married and many had children, in a desperate attempt to conceal their secret from others and from themselves, that secret having caused severe self-loathing. That he overcame all of that to come out to his children, after so many years of shame, is a beautiful thing regardless of how one regards Tynion's writing of it. That said, I'm glad it was a queer writer that wrote that scene and personally I liked how he wrote it and considered it the highlight of the issue.

On a semi-related topic, the Infinite Frontier mini coming this summer focuses partly on Alan Scott searching for missing JSA members and if he's searching for them he will find them. I realize that the only JSA you'll consider to be the true JSA would not include any changes at all to the 1940s-70s (or 90s) team. But if there's a chance we'll get the JSA back as a result of that mini, and it seems like we will, this whole thing only makes the JSA even truer.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 03-05-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Incredible Member

I really disliked this issue - Infinite Frontier is being touted as infinite possibilities, etc, and yet it returns to the same old tired trope of 'next villain takes out powerful protectors to show how powerful a threat.' The fact that it is Thanos, and not some newly created villain, makes it even worse.

All the short stories inside didn't read like new possibilities either - we've seen Wally take the mantle (personally, I don't think Wally is redeemable after what they have put him through, but whatever), we've seen an outgunned Batman having to take out the police (and from what I've seen in Future State, the Magistrate is really boring), and so on.

Okay spots - I am eh about Jonathan as Superman, and don't have any opinion yet about Yara.

The bright spots - didn't mind Superman being Superman by being optimistic about Black Adam, didn't mind Alan coming out to his children.

However, as an introduction to the next era, thoroughly disappointed. Infinite possibilities, and they are just returning to the same villain, same tropes, same stories.

. . . Only nice thing i can say about the Titans Academy is the redesigned Tower looks good. The Marvel Academy books (for Avengers and X-Men) didn't sell well. Legion Academy didn't sell well and that had the most amazing art. Most of the characters created are now in limbo. And who wants to be a Titan anyway? DC writers are always killing off Titans. Tearing their limbs off. . .

from Infinite Crisis if you don't recognize it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    . . . That the entire JSA wouldn't include at least one closeted, queer member defies reason and logic and is insulting in all sorts of ways, including to readers' intelligence. . .
    Oh, give me a break.

During the Golden Age, there were less than 20 people who were considered members of the JSA. Are you saying that if you put 20 people together in a room it's IMPOSSIBLE to not have at least one gay/lesbian person, closeted or not, included in that group?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    . . . On a semi-related topic, the Infinite Frontier mini coming this summer focuses partly on Alan Scott searching for missing JSA members and if he's searching for them he will find them. I realize that the only JSA you'll consider to be the true JSA would not include any changes at all to the 1940s-70s (or 90s) team. But if there's a chance we'll get the JSA back as a result of that mini, and it seems like we will, this whole thing only makes the JSA even truer.
    Truer to you, maybe.

They already started messing around with how the Golden Age JSA was in those issues of Justice League by Snyder and Tynion. I know things won't be exactly the way they were with the Justice Society of America prior to CoIE, but I doubt anything that comes out of the coming Infinite Crisis series will read as "truer" to somebody like me.

Imagine not being original enough to come up with a completely different symbol for Nubia so you have to steal something that's already known in the comics world. If you have to steal, you aren't worth hiring. Imagine even trying to defend someone not being original. If I want original and I get a Black Panther rip-off, I can and will complain.
    By your logic, every corruption-filled gothic city in comics is ripping off batman's Gotham. The similarities between Nubia's and Tchalla's situation is so surface level. Black Panther's society is afro-futurism inspired, Nubia's is still pretty ancient greek despite using some African mythology occasionally.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

To be honest surface level is enough for casual readers to get the impression that DC is copying Marvel.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Something like that
    OK. That sounds like an episode of DuckTales and the writer has no idea how fortunes work.
    "Cable was right!"

OK. That sounds like an episode of DuckTales and the writer has no idea how fortunes work.
    Shh. They're all liquid assets!

"Life is like a hurricane, here in Goth-Uhm. Batmobiles, lasers, Batwings, it's a, Bat-Blur."