Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Infinite Frontier #0 Discussion/Spoilers

This is what I like to call "Rebirth 2.0"... except that half of the creative team is way less competent this time.

I'm sorry if I'm being overly-negative here but I can't help but feeling a sense of dread with the abundance of James Tynion IV, Brian Bendis and the latest disappointment, Tim Sheridan. Is just something that doesn't give me a lot of confidence considering that I've seen way too much of these authors' work and they follow the same terrible pattern in their own way every single time.

That being said, there are positives to appreciate here like the long-awaited rise of Joshua Williamson, not to mention that Geoff Johns' returns as well and Joelle Jones has shown a lot of talent over the years. These are the creators that you should watch in the future.

But enough about that, let's start digging into the issue.

The Diana segments are written by Williamson, Tynion and Scott Snyder (who thankfully doesn't have as much control this time) and they're handled fairly well despite of mostly being exposition for what's about to come. They deliver insteresting bits about the higher powers in the DCU and this is a build-up for what's about to come in the epilogue. John Timms' art is pretty flexible and detailed.

Then we proceed with Justice League by Bendis and credit where credit is due, I think Bendis does a solid set-up for his upcoming run concerning Black Adam and Superman, if there's something that I always appreciated about Bendis is that at the very least he got Clark's voice and that continues here. The problem with the writer comes in the long run and that's why I don't expect much from what's coming next. David Marquez' pencils are extremely polished and pleasent to look at.

Tynion on Batman might be the opposite of Bendis since his premises are as creatively bankrupt as you can get except with better execution I guess? At least more marketable execution. Although I like that Barbara Gordon is mostly back as Oracle but I feel like Tynion might have something against Tom King's Batman run because of his treatment of Bane (I also have a lot of things against King's run but Tynion has no right to criticize others). Grifter also seems to continue as in Future State. Jorge Jimenez' artwork is vibrant as always.

Wasn't impressed by Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad's Wonder Woman work on Future State but the Nubia segments here are decent enough and I always liked the idea of the character as I always said. Alitha Martinez and Rags Morales' artstyle is safe, not too impressive.

Joelle Jones returns to write about Yara Flor and of course she makes Yara as likable and fun as possible. Thank God Dan Watters was not the one handling her. Jones' artwork is beautiful of course. This is probably what makes me excited the most about what's about to come.

Tynion returns to write about Alan Scott and yeah, this is all about Alan finally coming out of the closet like his New 52 Earth 2 counterpart and you know what? I'm okay with this. My biggest fear was the possible absense of Obsidian and Jade because of it but they're present here in fact and Alan's sexuality doesn't change who he is at his core, not to mention that Alan hiding it makes sense considering the time he was born. Tynion depicts the story in a rather sappy way and I don't trust him to write the character but eh, the story here is not bad. Stephen Byrne's expressive style is fitting for the segment.

Tim Sheridan shares a little prelude for his Teen Titans Academy work and be afraid for the future people because if his Future State work taught me anything, is that the man doesn't know how to handle conclusions. Rafa Sandoval's flexible art is solid at least.

There's a Jon Kent segment written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and is fine I suppose. I wish they dropped the grown Jon angle and made him return as a kid but let's see what the writer does with it. Jamal Igle's artwork is pretty detailed.

Hey, Green Arrow and Black Canary do get a story written by no one else but Joshua Williamson. Not so excited about the heavy emphasis on the relationship that is present here but he gets the voices right most of the time and hey, Roy Harper is back too. Always trust Williamson on fixing mistakes. Alex Maleev's semi-realistic pencils are really appropriate for the Arrow universe.

Geoff Johns actually writes about Stargirl once again and is appropriate considering she's his creation and means a lot to him. He also brings back a lot of old ideas like Stripesy and the Seven Soldiers of Victory and is all in good fun. Todd Nauck's 90s cartoony style is fitting for the character.

Geoffrey Thorne returns to the Green Lanterns universe with a set-up about John Stewart, Simon Baz and Teen Lantern which is cool since I like all of these characters (Well, Teen Lantern not so much) and his Future State work was good (although I wish people who don't know Spanish stopped trying to write it). Dexter Soy's artwork is always vibrant.

Williamson writes about The Flash once again but this is all about Barry passing the mantle to Wally West. Is a shame that Williamson won't write Wally in the main Flash book since I always thought he did the character right but is a solid set-up nonetheless. Howard Porter's kinetic style is just right as well.

And Williamson closes the story by pretty much destroying the initial set-up and bringing back a character that at first I feared it was that over-played mistake known as The Batman who Laughs but thankfully Williamson surprised me here. I guess he wanted to continue his frustrated work on Justice League Odyssey. John Romita Jr.'s art is decent enough.

Overall, a lot of things that I like, some things that I fear but overall, a promising new beginning.

It was a great debut

Williamson already teased he has a Green Arrow thing in the works, my guess is that's where the Roy Harper story continues
    Glad to have Wally back as the main Flash.

Also: WE FINALLY GOT RID OF THE TRUCKER HAT! THE EVIL HAS BEEN DEFEATED!
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    It was a great debut

Williamson already teased he has a Green Arrow thing in the works, my guess is that's where the Roy Harper story continues
    Glad to have Wally back as the main Flash.

Also: WE FINALLY GOT RID OF THE TRUCKER HAT! THE EVIL HAS BEEN DEFEATED!
    Yes, but unfortunately, it turns out the trucker hat was sentient. And it does not like being abandoned.

Incredible Member

So far, I'm curious to see where they're going.

The Batman section was the most interesting. Seeing Barbara slip back into Oracle to give her spine a rest; Joker's major attack (doubt that's the last of Bane). Still on and off about Grifter being involved.
    Nubia taking the mantle of Queen of the Amazons is curious to see.
    Always fun to see the Scott Family; hoping to see more of them in the JSA.
    Not fussed with Titans Academym nor that of Superboy's fate; I'm with others to have Jon back to his younger self.
    John Stewart, Simon Baz and Keli Quintela; interesting combo.
    Having Barry join the Justice Incarnate and giving Wally the mantle of Earth's Flash is FANTASTIC; everything I ever wanted.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Grifter was hired as Lucius Fox's bodyguard post Joker War so he's staying as long as Joker's at large

Laughs got his old body back after his Darkest Knight body is destroyed? (Last time I think Batman used it as one of his Black Lantern corpse)

Oh right I was planning to get this but since I haven't paid that much attention to the later part of Rebirth I decided to wait and studied up the lore a bit.

Did they mention what's the consequences that The Hand told Diana?

Astonishing Member

To be honest, it was incredibly lazy and disrespectful way to spoilers:
    kill Bane, if he's really dead of course. One of the biggest Gotham villains just easy killed by the Joker off-screen, lol.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I haven't read it yet but does Future state connect to this somehow

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Yara shows up as does Tim Fox
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    To be honest, it was incredibly lazy and disrespectful way to spoilers:
    kill Bane, if he's really dead of course. One of the biggest Gotham villains just easy killed by the Joker off-screen, lol.
    end of spoilers
    Comic writers wiping their ass with characters they don't care for. What else is new.

The Gotham sequence was a sight for sore eyes but apart from that, I hope this overachieving narrative stays far away from the two bat titles I actually care about. Please, DC, don't reveal the crossover in your next solicitations.

I honestly expected more from the TT Academy segment. It teases even less than the FS story. My excitement continues to deep dive.

The Themysciran story has me interested in what is to come. It's a good time to be a Wonder Fan. Finally.

I enjoyed most of the stories. I hope the plot points pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Not directly, but Diana has actually seen all the Futures herself, which was already implied at the end of DM, I think. Some of the futures clearly make Spectre incredibly biased, lol. I'd say, it's subtle (or on the nose, see the Bat part) but the connection is there.

I haven't read through this yet, so I'll just make a few comments on the image:
    -- Can they please get rid of that big collar on Red X? It ruins the silhouette of the original design from the cartoon
    -- I'm glad Huntress lost the hood - that never looked right on her.
    -- Interesting that with all the Bat characters, there isn't anyone in a Robin costume - just a bunch of former Robins. (is it just the artist or did Damien get aged up?)
    -- Interesting that Roy has arrows (I did flip through and it seemed like he had abandoned his bow) Or maybe they don't want to spoil the end of his journey. If they are looking to do something new with him, I could see him as the new Vigilante.
    -- Stargirl and STRIPE - nice to actually see DC try to capitalize on a hit tv show. Conversely, it's nice to see Kate here.

I genuinely enjoyed the world building and set up we got here. It establishes a lot of the events and series that I’m going to read.

My favorite parts were probably the following:

-Nubia, Hippolyta, and Yara
    -Alan Scott
    -Titans Academy
    -Jon Kent
    -Green Lantern
    -And especially Wally West
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

No more stupid hat for Roy Harper!
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Donna and Cassie continue to be excluded from the Wonder family. One would think that they'd go to Themiscrya and be in consideration as to who the next Wonder Woman is instead of acting as if they dont even exist and have never been Wonder Girl.

Various Amazons fighting for the right to be WW didnt make sense....they have a whole system set up...A CONTEST that would determine that. This cheap way of "whoever sets sight upon medusa and lives will win" only for everyone to run away except Nubia was lazy. They also seemed to go out of their way to not mention that Nubia is Dianas twin, Hippolyta's daughter and give her more of an African crown when in story it doesnt make sense (even though its pretty).

Alan Scott looked practically dead in his story.

Jon Kent is meant to go all Injustice...shocker.

Wally West is The Flash again so that's exciting. Hopefully this means we can see the return of his supporting cast.

You know what? Bendis story as prelude of his JL was interesting. I'll give him that.
    Let's start with the blue corner. Superman was great, but Jon's... That emphasis they put on him "not being the true Superman", "being evil" seemed almost an attack to Jon's haters. They don't deserve to even be acknolwedged. This was the best opportunity to fix Bendis' mistake of aging him up and giving our boy back to us, and they missed it. And another thing, I really want new designs for bothe Clark and Kara. They are too outdated.

I'm interested on the black side of things, with Batman leveled down to fighting on the streets, although Joker doing stuff again is pissing me off. I'm so, so tired of him, and Tynion doesn't convince me. Great to see the three Batgirls working together though, and Helena looks FANTASTIC. Curious to see what they are going to do with Kate, considering they showed her in the final splash page. Also, it was nice to see Jace, but I'm still not convinced about him existing at all. I really like him, but it's still a bit unncessary.

Let's go to the yellow corner. Diana taking on her new path, putting her (finally!) at the level of the other two members of the Trinity in terms of universal importance, is great. I also love the inclusion of Yara (the best character from Future State IMO) and I'm hyped for her. As for Nubia, it was a bit weird to select the new queen in terms of "who is less scared of being petrified" and not... well, all the other qualities a ruler should have. I like Nubia, but I think the role they gave her was a bit rushed and forced. Mama Lyta being the new WW to replace her daughter... let's see how it unfolds.

On the red side, Wally is the main Flash now, and Barry joins the quintessential Justice League. That is nice. I'd still prefer to have just both of them, each of them with his own book, instead of always having one OR the other. But hey, I love Wally, so I'll take it.

On the green side, Simon finally getting some love is great, ,but I don't like Keli, and I really really disliked Thorne's take on John on Future State. Let's see what the future is offering, but the lack of Hal, Guy, Jess and Kyle (my four favorite Lanterns) is a bit annoying for me. Alan's part was beautiful, and it's great to see Jade and Todd again.

Still nothing on the orange side...

So, some other things I really want to mention.
    - Ending this by presenting the big bad of everything and killing all the members of the quintessence is a pretty big thing. So, why the heck where the writers thinking asking Romita Jr. to draw it????

- I'm pretty sure there are people that liked Roy's hat. They could've simply not show it, showing Roy with his new design. It sounded a bit like "yeah, we heard that a lot of people were complaining about the trucker hat. But look, he's throwing it to the trash bin!! Yeaaah! We hear you, folks, we hear you!!". But if that's the case, why is Jonathan still a teen? Idk, I do prefer Roy withouth the hat, but it was a bit unrespectful I think, for the people that just liked another design.

- I keep asking: Where are the 90's characters??? There was not a single sight of Tim in the whole issue. Donna and Yara are there, Cassie is nowhere to be seen. Conner is completely MIA, and we know that he's just condemned to be with the Suicide Squad. Bart was forgotten pretty quickly. Kyle? Just a mention, but he's still lacking a concrete future.

It's a weir thing this generational thing.
    Jay, Alan, the OG Hawks, Zatara, the Seven Soldiers, even the first Black Canary are always remembered and are sources of inspiration.
    Clark, Bruce, Diana, Ollie, Dinah, Barry, Arthur, Zatana are always the main characters (Hal is the only weird exception).
    Dick, Donna, Wally, Roy, Jason, Rachel, Vic, Gar, Kory, Babs... they are the first sidekicks, the ones that keep growing up and developing, the main Titans.
    Damian, Jon, Yara, Emiko, Wallace, Jackson, Jessica, all the new ones that have received a lot of popularity, and are the "new hope". The newest, popular heroes.

And then there's the 90's ones, sandwitched between Dick's and Damian's generations, doomed to oblivion.