Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think the scene with Ollie & Dinah did a good job of showing how Death Metal's "They remember everything" idea is actually going to play out. They remember bits and pieces of their past lives, but they don't have decades worth of conflicting memories all competing with each other for dominance. They'll just remember the high lights and the stuff that doesn't fit (or no one liked) will be largely forgotten.

However, Jonathan Kent is a very special case due to the circumstances of his birth. The only other DC character that comes close to him in terms of Multiversal shenanigans is Alexander Luthor Junior of Earth-3. I'm glad they aren't trying to ignore the craziness of Jon's childhood, but are using it to further the character's story.

The idea that the DCU's higher powers think Jon is a threat because of this is an interesting wrinkle to explore.
    Ah I skipped Ollie and Dinah since I wasn't as interested...
    Yeah if they actually gonna take it on, then it's better for the narrative. If I have to be saddled with grown up Jon, at least do it right and actually do something about his trauma, and of course, the hope that he'll overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm also not sure where this power level talk is coming from. I have read all 4 Kirby's New Gods books and there was nothing like that in them. Maybe it is based on work that other writers did after Kirby and before CoIE? But then we probably shouldn't say that he is back to Kirby power levels.
    He said all his past aspects become one so this new Darkseid is a combination of every past Darkseid from Pre Crisis to Rebirth. So he should be even stronger than Kirby version.

He literally took out Ganthet, Highfather, Hera, Phantom Stranger, Shazam and Spectre with one move. He's uber-powerful.
    No I meant just the Silver Age version. In the Silver Age can he take out Spectre and Highfather.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    But if that was the "Cost" it's probably too early in the Line Revamp and will be more of "Consequence # 1: The Red Herring One".
    if this is Snyder I believe it's Red Herring One

The only new wrinkle is that the Seven Soliders of Victory get to have the Golden Age Green Arrow & Speedy again. GA has brown hair, so they're likely going with him and Ollie being two different guys and they'll just never mention that the original was also named Oliver Queen or come up with an alternate name for him. Given that they had completely different origins, making the current day Ollie & Roy be inspired by the originals from the 40s works just fine. I'm surprised they didn't do this decades ago.
    Oh. I missed this. Yeah, current Ollie's blond. Okay. That checks out. So Linearverse is still only Jurgens playground at this point
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-03-2021 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He said all his past aspects become one so this new Darkseid is a combination of every past Darkseid from Pre Crisis to Rebirth. So he should be even stronger than Kirby version.
    Right, the point that I and j9ac9k are making is that Kirby's Darkseid was not shown to be particularly powerful asides of Omega Effect being a big deal. Argument could probably be made that it is weakest Darkseid version that we had. But it is rather irrelevant trivia at this point, I'm just saying that we probably shouldn't mention Kirby in this context. Maybe lets just say that he is more powerful than his CoIE version?

Incredible Member

Did we ever get Peacekeeper 01's name?
    Who else thinks it's Mahoney?

Oh. I missed this. Yeah, current Ollie's blond. Okay. That checks out. So Linearverse is still only Jurgens playground at this point

The Linearverse is another earth in the Multiverse. The Main DCU seems just to be adopting, for the most part, Pre-Flashpoint.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    seems pretty likely

I liked most of it. It wasn't as great as the Rebirth one-shot, but I REALLY hope the new direction is better than Rebirth ended up being.
    Some random comments:
    - Happy they're finally having Barry join Justice Incarnate to patrol the Multiverse. It's just such a natural progression of the character. I've been posting about it for years.
    - Not a fan of Jon as Superman. They could have published a Future State ongoing about him as an adult, but kept him younger in the present. I hate how his timeline is still such a mess, I can't see new readers finding that easy to jump in to.
    - Glad to see Nubia getting some love, but I wish she joined the League instead of Hippolyta.
    - Looks like the other GLS, Blue & Gold and Shazam are getting new books, which is good.
    - Too much Batman. Some characters got only 2 pages and Batman gets two longer sequences. But since his franchise gets half of the March book, I shouldn't be surprised.
    - I thought Alan Scott's story would lead into JSA, but it looks like he is just another member of the Totality for now. Years after the JSA tease in Rebirth and we still don't have a JSA book...
    - They're finally doing something with Stargirl!! I hope they can do a better job at marketing their comics to fans of other media. They've missed so many opportunities already with Vixen, Batwoman, Black Lightning...

All in all I'd give it a 7. It wasn't as fresh and exciting as I hoped, but it wasn't bad and there were some bright spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I think its pretty likely, they look similar-ish and it would make sense that a survivor of the Joker event that caused the Magistrate to form in Gotham would join the Magistrate. I mean let us compare the pictures.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

No I meant just the Silver Age version. In the Silver Age can he take out Spectre and Highfather.
    Just my opinion, but I would say probably, individually and maybe both of them given the right circumstances. But that's because Highfather and Spectre weren't so OP back then. They've been getting more and more powerful over the years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He was more powerful than Pre-Crisis Superman, and you know how OP that guy was. Pre-Crisis Superman struggled with Darkseid’s minions then. But power levels don’t really interest me, it’s if his characterization will be returning to the Kirby/Morrison tactician rather than the Johns brute that I’m more interested in knowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm also not sure where this power level talk is coming from. I have read all 4 Kirby's New Gods books and there was nothing like that in them. Maybe it is based on work that other writers did after Kirby and before CoIE? But then we probably shouldn't say that he is back to Kirby power levels.
    This just plain wrong. The only time Darkseid ever does any fighting in a Kirby work at all is a very unimpressive fist fight with Orion in Hunger Dogs. He spent most of Kirby as an evil overlord sitting on his throne. And for the few minions that Superman fought wouldn't say he had any more trouble with them than any other superpowered foe of the era who was meant to be a villain of a full issue. Nor would I say any of his minions that fought Orion, Mister Miracle, or the Forever People to be insanely cosmically powerful.

I guess I can understand why some people prefer the Morrison Final Crisis take which went all in on him as the ultimate embodiment of cosmic evil (though I personally don't), but to try and claim it's accurate to how Kirby portrayed Darkseid is just wrong.

Kirby Darkseid is bronze Age actually, but I'd say no for Spectre, yes for Highfather, but assassinating Highfather would certainly count as a breaking of the armistice with New Genesis leading a second full scale war between the two planets, which actually used to be a concern for Darkseid because if he was going to do that he would want to make sure it was a war he could win. They've made Darkseid so powerful he seems far beyond caring about that.

Incredible Member

So does the Alan Scott story mention Molly/Harlequin at all? Are she and the current version of Alan still married (and/or were they ever married in the current continuity, I guess)? Or is it just the vague “I’ve even married several women over the years” reference?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    So does the Alan Scott story mention Molly/Harlequin at all? Are she and the current version of Alan still married (and/or were they ever married in the current continuity, I guess)? Or is it just the vague “I’ve even married several women over the years” reference?
    He doesn’t mention anyone specifically, Alan says “I even let myself get married a few times to women I did love with all my mind, but I did that knowing there was something about myself that I was hiding”
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    He doesn’t mention anyone specifically, Alan says “I even let myself get married a few times to women I did love with all my mind, but I did that knowing there was something about myself that I was hiding”
    Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know!

Oh well, poor Molly. Wonder if they’ll ever address the situation more fully, or just leave it as a “make your own assumptions” plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Nor would I say any of his minions that fought Orion, Mister Miracle, or the Forever People to be insanely cosmically powerful.
    I wonder what others think about it, but he always looked to me like peak human as far as powers go?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know!

Oh well, poor Molly. Wonder if they’ll ever address the situation more fully, or just leave it as a “make your own assumptions” plot point.
    I bet if they ever get around to showing it, we'll see that Molly knew (or suspected) all along, and went into it with her eyes wide open for her own reasons (in a good way) and accepted Alan before he could accept himself, etc...

Hey I wonder if the fact that they are reintroducing the Third Mister Miracle (Shilo) if that will have anything to do with Darkseid?
    Words to live by.