Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 178
  1. #91
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it's so they can throw in a new, probably diverse, Supergirl legacy since they're really into that again lately.
    In such an event, I seriously hope whatever successor to the mantle of Supergirl comes is specifically framed as Kara's successor, and not just another member of the Super-verse who is a girl and is thus named Supergirl.

    But who am I kidding, obviously the later is what would happen.

  2. #92
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,097

    Default

    So are we going back to the idea that people in their 20's can't go by "girl" anymore ?

  3. #93
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    So I guess the title "woman of tomorrow" makes more sense now, with the issue starting with her being 21 and drunk.

  4. #94
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So I guess the title "woman of tomorrow" makes more sense now, with the issue starting with her being 21 and drunk.
    Tomorrow looking kind of iffy there...

  5. #95
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why should she have to? Superwoman not being a successful name doesn't really justify giving it to Kara over just keeping her in her most known and popular identity (that her TV show is literally named after).

    I guess it's so they can throw in a new, probably diverse, Supergirl legacy since they're really into that again lately.
    I think Kara taking a new name for herself makes sense and I like the idea of her graduating to Superwoman. That’s all. There’s no Latinos representation in the Superfamily, and given the new Supergirl is Latina, I feel confident the next Supergirl (assuming we’re right about all this) will be Latina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So are we going back to the idea that people in their 20's can't go by "girl" anymore ?
    Clark went by Superman once he hit his twenties, don’t know why Kara would be any different.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  6. #96
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think Kara taking a new name for herself makes sense and I like the idea of her graduating to Superwoman. That’s all. There’s no Latinos representation in the Superfamily, and given the new Supergirl is Latina, I feel confident the next Supergirl (assuming we’re right about all this) will be Latina.
    I mean, Pre-Crisis she was still Supergirl in her 20's and it feels a little too late in the game to be changing her name now. I don't think being Superwoman is going to change all that much, unless being able to get drunk and do "adult stuff" is the barometer for what she can do as Superwoman that she couldn't do as Supergirl.

    Gangbuster? Could also remember Acrata exists.

    I don't know if I can expect WB to be that on the ball to have a media synergy Supergirl in place ready for the comics.
    Clark went by Superman once he hit his twenties, don’t know why Kara would be any different.
    Because branding? I don't see this being a successful Superboy -> Superman transition.

  7. #97
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Pre-Crisis she was still Supergirl in her 20's and it feels a little too late in the game to be changing her name now. I don't think being Superwoman is going to change all that much, unless being able to get drunk and do "adult stuff" is the barometer for what she can do as Superwoman that she couldn't do as Supergirl.

    Gangbuster? Could also remember Acrata exists.

    I don't know if I can expect WB to be that on the ball to have a media synergy Supergirl in place ready for the comics.

    Because branding? I don't see this being a successful Superboy -> Superman transition.
    Neither count honestly. Don’t wear the S-shield.

    The plan was probably always to move Kara into the Superwoman role, her replacement may or may not be influenced by what they’re doing on the film side.

    Maybe it will fail but honestly besides you, I haven’t seen anyone really upset at the idea of Kara going by Superwoman instead of Supergirl . It’s a smaller change than Dick going from Robin to Nightwing, or Donna going from Wonder Girl to Troia, or Wally going from Kid Flash to Flash. Kara’s role doesn’t really seem to be changing, just her title and even that is a pretty minor change.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  8. #98
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    I want her to be called Superwoman.

  9. #99
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Maybe it will fail but honestly besides you, I haven’t seen anyone really upset at the idea of Kara going by Superwoman instead of Supergirl . It’s a smaller change than Dick going from Robin to Nightwing, or Donna going from Wonder Girl to Troia, or Wally going from Kid Flash to Flash. Kara’s role doesn’t really seem to be changing, just her title and even that is a pretty minor change.
    Agreed, it's really no different from Sue Storm and Shayera going to Invisible Woman and Hawkwoman but otherwise being unchanged.

    They really should have seized on the opportunity to have Barbara be Batwoman back around the same time Shayera changed. Way too late now considering we both have multiple Batgirls and a great Batwoman who has been cemented in the role. Kara meanwhile only has to compete with Earth-3 Superwoman (on another Earth anyway), Kristen Wells (when was the last time we saw her?) and all the other Supergirls didn't supplant her mostly because they were stand ins for her due to editorial continuity hijinks.

  10. #100
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Neither count honestly. Don’t wear the S-shield.
    Steel doesn't always have one. So does he not count?
    The plan was probably always to move Kara into the Superwoman role, her replacement may or may not be influenced by what they’re doing on the film side.
    This era is really just not doing anything for me.
    Maybe it will fail but honestly besides you, I haven’t seen anyone really upset at the idea of Kara going by Superwoman instead of Supergirl . It’s a smaller change than Dick going from Robin to Nightwing, or Donna going from Wonder Girl to Troia, or Wally going from Kid Flash to Flash. Kara’s role doesn’t really seem to be changing, just her title and even that is a pretty minor change.
    I just feel like most people are more likely to recognize or think of her as Supergirl, so I don't see the point in trying to make her as Superwoman happen. And for such a small change.

    I can't really see this being like a "Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel" moment when she literally had a TV show about her called Supergirl that ran for 6 seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed, it's really no different from Sue Storm and Shayera going to Invisible Woman and Hawkwoman but otherwise being unchanged.
    I mean, Supergirl's been a thing longer than Sue was Invisible Girl, and most people who think of the female Hawk think of Hawkgirl before Hawkwoman, so I don't think it's all that similar.

  11. #101
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    They got Kara fighting Drunken Style, what's there not to like?

    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/05/13/dc...of-tomorrow-1/

  12. #102
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    They got Kara fighting Drunken Style, what's there not to like?

    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/05/13/dc...of-tomorrow-1/
    Drinking away that patented Tom King emotional pain, I'm sure .

  13. #103
    Mighty Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Drinking away that patented Tom King emotional pain, I'm sure .
    Been a while since I cracked open a Tom King mini. I'll have to prepare myself for the slap of emotional angst.

  14. #104
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Steel doesn't always have one. So does he not count?
    He does in the comics, and he usually has a much closer relationship with Clark than either of the other two have. Even then Irons has sadly been sort of pushed to the edge, I hope he’ll be a more important player going forward. It really should be him and not Batman who is doing all this analysis stuff.

    I just feel like most people are more likely to recognize or think of her as Supergirl, so I don't see the point in trying to make her as Superwoman happen. And for such a small change.

    I can't really see this being like a "Carol Danvers becomes Captain Marvel" moment when she literally had a TV show about her called Supergirl that ran for 6 seasons.
    Sure but the same is true of Clark as Superman, yet they’re still giving Jon a try. They seem to be determined to shake things up in the Superman corner of the DCU. Kara seems to be changing the least frankly, compared to what Clark and Jon are undergoing. And it’s not like they’ve bothered to synergize all that strongly with the show, they never once had her and Lena meet in the comics despite how strongly the two are shipped on Twitter. If the Latina Supergirl hunch I have proves right, I’d say it’s moreso because of DC pushing for a more diverse universe now.
    I mean, Supergirl's been a thing longer than Sue was Invisible Girl, and most people who think of the female Hawk think of Hawkgirl before Hawkwoman, so I don't think it's all that similar.
    It’s a pretty easy sell though. Supergirl is Kara when she’s 16-20. Superwoman is Kara from 21 on. It’s not a hard concept to grasp at all, you don’t even really need to explain it to people like you need to explain Nightwing. That’s why most people don’t really seem bothered by this. Are you just unhappy with changing the name itself, because honestly I’m kind of surprised you feel strongly enough to object. Most Kara fans elsewhere don’t seem bothered by the idea of a change.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  15. #105
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    They got Kara fighting Drunken Style, what's there not to like?

    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/05/13/dc...of-tomorrow-1/
    I mean I’m pretty okay with this, I like the idea that Kara after turning 21, which by the way I’m pretty okay with her being 21 now after being 15 through 16 for the past decade. I like the idea that Kara after turning 21 flew off to another world, probably not to be around Clark since he’s be responsible, and had a fun night.

    I’m not reading like she’s trying to forget I’m reading that she’s partying like a 21 year old girl would on her birthday, only that she had to go somewhere that her powers wouldn’t get in the way (kind of like when Wolverine has to work really hard to get drunk).
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-13-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •