Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone explain Superman Rebirth to me?

I just got a complete run of Rebirth Action, Superwoman, Supergirl, and Superman...Im already confused, the run starts out with Superman dead and theres another Superman who takes his place? theres 2 or 3 different Lois Lanes one with powers? and then there Clark Kent who is separate from Superman? Im like 3 issues in and I am completely lost

The Superman that died was this Earths Superman. he was replaced by the Superman of the previous timeline. Its eventually revealed that this is the same Earth that the returning Superman is from, but the timeline was altered by other forces, and he and his Lois managed to survive being erased and had a son. I dont know what more I can say without spoiling the story for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    The Superman that died was this Earths Superman. he was replaced by the Superman of the previous timeline. Its eventually revealed that this is the same Earth that the returning Superman is from, but the timeline was altered by other forces, and he and his Lois managed to survive being erased and had a son. I dont know what more I can say without spoiling the story for you.
    I didnt get New Super-Man with this set i bought, does that tie into any of the Superman Rebirth run?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

DC wanted to undo the New 52 as quickly as possible and bring back the post-Crisis Superman so they killed off the New 52 Superman and said that the post-Crisis Superman is the official Superman again. It doesn't make any sense because it was obviously banged out at the last minute. Like, there was literally an issue of the New 52 Superman that they changed at the last minute to have the old Superman take his place. New 52 Lois was supposed to be Superwoman but with the old Lois back, they didn't need her anymore and just replaced her with Lana. Phil Jiminez even said in interviews they were changing things on the fly. They said they "merged" the two Supermen but all that means is that post-Crisis Superman wore the armor suit for five minutes at one point in the past. If you think that's a confusing mess, you should see how they tried to undo Wonder Woman's New 52 history.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    I didnt get New Super-Man with this set i bought, does that tie into any of the Superman Rebirth run?
    A bit..but nothing that's too major.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    I just got a complete run of Rebirth Action, Superwoman, Supergirl, and Superman...Im already confused, the run starts out with Superman dead and theres another Superman who takes his place? tiheres 2 or 3 different Lois Lanes one with powers? and then there Clark Kent who is separate from Superman? Im like 3 issues in and I am completely lost
    All you need to know is that there was an attack on DCU history that was specifically targeting Superman & Lois. This split the characters into two pairs. The younger pair became the Lois & Clark of the New 52, while the older pair went into hiding and raised Jon Kent. Eventually, the older Lois & Clark took over for their younger selves, who were both killed but whose essence were later reabsorbed by the other pair, which rejiggered DCU history for the umpteenth time.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Honestly, just do your best to ignore it.

The whole thing is a complete mess even if you do know the backstory but things quickly settle down into one Lois and one Superman and the rest is never mentioned again.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

They killed off the New 52 Superman and Lois Lane and replaced them with the pre-Flashpoint versions (plus a child, Jon, who had been born during the 3-month "Convergence" event). They claim that they "merged" the two sets of characters, in that the replacements forgot about their previous existence and their life on a farm in California (while the New 52 Superman was still around). Instead, they remember their backstory as being that they lived in Metropolis while working at the Daily Planet, then they moved to a farm near Hamilton, a town about 100 miles upstate, and now they've moved back to the city. No one remembers that there used to be that other Superman and Lois. Lana Lang doesn't remember that she used to be Superwoman after the other Lois Lane, who was briefly Superwoman, died. At least I believe that's what the story is now, but it doesn't really matter, since I'm sure DC doesn't much care, just so long as everyone ignores the whole thing. The "explanation" for this merging of the characters is the usual lame one, namely that Mxy was involved, and so there's no point in trying to make any sense of it. We are where we are, and that's that.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I’m still baffled they decided to kill off the New 52 Supes and Lois and replace them. This didn’t happen to any other character. Why were Supes and Lois singled out?

And to replace the New 52 versions them with the pre-Flashpoint Supes and Lois. What was the thinking behind that? Pre-Flashpoint’s last stories being Grounded, Reign of Doomsday, Black Ring, New Krypton/Last Stand of New Krypton/War of the Supermen and paint by numbers origin (to hype New Krypton and Luthor death) in ongoing events. None of these stories really set the world on fire and the majority of them were bad. None of the JL arcs pre-Flashpoint were about Superman either. His only good “last hurrah” was Final Crisis.

Now things are so tangled and mixed up. None of it makes sense. First it was Barry’s fault, then Pandora’s, then Mxyzsptlk,’s then Dr. Manhattan’s, now “The Great Darkness” is presumably behind it all. Or whatever BS they’re spinning wheels at DC this week.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 04-14-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Now things are so tangled and mixed up. None of it makes sense. First it was Barry’s fault, then Pandora’s, then Mxyzsptlk,’s then Dr. Manhattan’s, now “The Great Darkness” is presumably behind it all. Or whatever BS they’re spinning wheels at DC this week.
    Don't forget Mister Oz. Oh wait, DC would probably rather that you did forget him. I'm sure they have, since it was pretty clear that they had no idea what they were doing there.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Don't forget Mister Oz. Oh wait, DC would probably rather that you did forget him. I'm sure they have, since it was pretty clear that they had no idea what they were doing there.
    Oh dude! I forgot all about Mr. Oz’s shenanigans. I remembered when that was going to ‘be something big’. Then was forgotten about/delayed and spun into a nothing burger.

They should’ve just spun the New 52 stories as an Ultimate style parallel universe. Superman’s whole continuity was tangled into a mess. Same with Rucka’s attempts to undo everything Azzerllo and the Finches did on New 52 WW. And present Rebirth Wondy and her universe the same as it was when he first left the book back in the early 2000s. The Titans, Legion and JSA remain screwed up and or forgotten about as well.

Talking to coworkers today and a horrifying reality hit me. DC has turned Superman into Hawkman and Donna Troy, in terms of continuity, canon and origins.

“Your guess is as good as mine”. Truer words have never been spoken.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-10-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Talking to coworkers today and a horrifying reality hit me. DC has turned Superman into Hawkman and Donna Troy, in terms of continuity, canon and origins.

“Your guess is as good as mine”. Truer words have never been spoken.
    Heh, choose your own adventure.

I always ended up dying in those choose your own adventure books anyways

Choose your own headcannon, ha.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The best thing to happen to Superman after years of terribleness.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    All you need to know is that there was an attack on DCU history that was specifically targeting Superman & Lois. This split the characters into two pairs. The younger pair became the Lois & Clark of the New 52, while the older pair went into hiding and raised Jon Kent. Eventually, the older Lois & Clark took over for their younger selves, who were both killed but whose essence were later reabsorbed by the other pair, which rejiggered DCU history for the umpteenth time.
    Yeah, but who attacked the DC Universe and for what purpose? Was it Dr. Manhattan? Perpetua? The Great Darkness? Who did it and why?!
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 02-13-2022 at 01:47 PM.