Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    ...I’m not following your logic. Kara and Karen fulfill totally different roles. Karen is barely even an E0 Superfamily member, she and Clark aren’t close at all, and Kara has no ties to the JSA. I don’t see what Kara becoming Superwoman would change about Karen at all.
    Prior to the Infinite Crisis lead in Johns induced Superman fixation Peege, she was kind of the older version. But now, Supergirl will be that leaving even less distinction between then and less space for Peege to exist. Hopefully what Artemisboy suggests above will be enough

Listening to the podcast, it’s gratifying to hear Superman: Up in the Sky is his third best selling trade behind Vision and Mister Miracle. I’m glad that book sold well because I really enjoyed it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Listening to the podcast, it’s gratifying to hear Superman: Up in the Sky is his third best selling trade behind Vision and Mister Miracle. I’m glad that book sold well because I really enjoyed it.
    Heh, just got my copy. It's going to be my vacation read coming up here shortly.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

If King is going to go in the same style as Up in the Sky, I trust him.

And the whole Superwoman... is is sure there will be a name change or is something more symbolical? I mean, like this will be a development of the psychology of Kara, but not necesary will include a change of title. Because I don't see DC quitting to the name "Supergirl" when they have the character ready to make a return to the big Screen (or it is said "return to movies " now? I have two year without going to the movie theater already).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Don’t know, but given King says this is in canon and will affect things going forward, I think a name change is coming. Jon isn’t going to be Superman anywhere but the comics, so DC isn’t 100% that dedicated to synergy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mean, people are still going to think of her as Supergirl, first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, people are still going to think of her as Supergirl, first and foremost.
    And people will think of Ruffalo’s jokey “bro” take on Hulk thanks to the MCU, but that doesn’t mean Ewing should not have been allowed to take Hulk in a totally different direction no? Or if you need a specific name change example, Barry being the Flash in the eyes of the public thanks to every outside medium using him doesn’t mean Wally can’t be the Flash in the comics.

And people will think of Ruffalo’s jokey “bro” take on Hulk thanks to the MCU, but that doesn’t mean Ewing should not have been allowed to take Hulk in a totally different direction no? Or if you need a specific name change example, Barry being the Flash in the eyes of the public thanks to every outside medium using him doesn’t mean Wally can’t be the Flash in the comics.
    I think a certain characterization in a media take is different from a whole branding image.

Like, Hemsworth turned Thor into a fat frat bro that is basically a parody of himself but Thor is still relatively recognizable in the comics (again) and in other media.

(I guess Superwoman counts as a legacy mantle?)
    The art is be absolutely gorgeous .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    - Tom King got the job because editorial had no idea what to do with Supergirl. He compares it to a "Jack Kirby walks into DC and asks for the lowest selling book" situation
    - King mentions that, while his approach to Bat-people is to tear them down and rebuild them in a Dark Knight Returns/Watchmen way, his approach to Super-people is to "let them be themselves" by "getting rid of the barnacles" (isn't this a Byrne quotation?) to get the most pure version of them and "make them shine". He says he has used this approach for Superman: Up in the Sky.
    - He compares his approach to Superman: Up In The Sky to reading the New Testament, where the theme of every page is "Superman/Jesus is awesome".
    - He wants to test Supergirl's limits (not Kara, Supergirl), but he doesn't want to make her mean or sad. He wants to go back to the Otto Binder Supergirl. He finds the popularity of "Supergirl as a Red Lantern"-style takes to be strange.
    - King has spoken to Steve Orlando about Supergirl. Kara lived Krypton and Clark didn't.
    - He's going with "Kara was 14 when Krypton exploded and got launched with Argo City. Then Argo City became kryptonite and more people died until Zor-El put lead sheets on the ground. Then rockets came and brought the lead sheets and Kara finally got launched into space." as a backstory. So 3 times watching her people die. So he's going with a world-weary Kara to start with.
    - It's 100% in continuity and what happens here will impact Kara. King says Ruthye will be an important character in DC going forward.
    - King explicitely says she's evolving from being Supergirl to being Superwoman as a character.
    - The planet they start in is inspired by Conan comics.
    - King says the Hollywood pitch would be "True Grit in space with Supergirl"
    - Bilquis Evely used Moebius, Kirby, Barry Windsor Smith, Wally Wood as inspiration for this comic.
    - Evely is halfway done with the series, so King isn't expecting delays.
    - It's 8 issues instead of 12 because they don't expect it to sell.
    - Tom King laughes at the idea of turning to Kingdom Come for hope. This has nothing to do with Supergirl, but I approve inmensely so I'm still including it here.
    - The book is about "stepping forwards into the future and kicking ass".
    -
    FINE, Tom. I'll buy your book for more than the art.

He's saying the right things. I hope this is more Up in the Sky/Grayson/GL Darkseid War Tom King, but at the very least he's saying the correct stuff.

Very classic beauty .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Very classic beauty .
    Yeah for sure. Looks like she belongs in a Hitchcock film, like Eva Marie Saint...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...rrow-dc-comics

Interview of King and a preview of issue 2

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...rrow-dc-comics

Interview of King and a preview of issue 2
    That’s less Kara than I wanted from the preview pages, but the artwork is absolutely stunning.

I didn’t see this book in the October solicits, so it must be taking a break then.