Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    We'll likely find out that Ruthye has some sort of power herself, or they'll give her enough equipment that she'll play more heavily on the "Supergirl...but what if she was Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers" idea. She may even get some psychic powers as a homage to Frank/David like King seems to imply? But I think the main idea will be to leave her fairly limited yet powerful.

I'd say this would've been risky if she were the only one, but Kara will still be around, thus her "iconicism" stays around while a new things is allowed to happen. And I think the point of this particular passing of the torch is to go outside of the iconic. I think that's the intended contrast between Kara passing along her title and Clark passing along his. Superman is a family business/dynasty, but the Supergirl name seems to specifically be for and about those that need it save themselves from wallowing in the pitty of what they've lost.
    Don’t think Ruthye will get the Supergirl title frankly. Another white passing alien becoming the new Supergirl? Unlikely in the current era.
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Yeah, so is DC gonna give a Clark a daughter?
    They’ve teased it a couple times but it’s unlikely. Jon is the focus and a daughter at this stage doesn’t really fit in their plans. I’m sure Taylor is pitching to bring his Injustice OC daughter into canon though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I have no problem with her having some drinks for her 21st birthday, nor even getting drunk. If it were framed as a special day, a celebration, she got tipsy it could have even been funny/cute. But her being all alone seemingly drowning sorrows, and the attempt at badassery with a drunken bar fight does seem out of character for her. Its more reminiscent of the rebellious troublemaking teen we got pre-FP.

And a Superwoman "upgrade" is completely superfluous. The difference in connotation between woman and girl simply is not the same as it is with man and boy. Not saying that's a bad thing, hell the reason for the difference is hyper masculinity anyway. But its particularly meaningless here. So like with Superman the past 5 years, this would be a change more to just accommodate some other legacy, not for Kara herself. Basically the entire problem with Infinite Frontier in a nutshell.
    Which is also her characterization post-FP as well. Wholesome Pre-Crisis Kara hasn’t existed since CoIE frankly.

TOTALLY disagree. You refer to an adult female as a “girl” instead of a woman and you’re going to get a reaction and it probably won’t be a positive one. This simply a signifier that Kara is an “adult” and is moving into a new stage of her life like Jon and Clark are.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Don’t think Ruthye will get the Supergirl title frankly. Another white passing alien becoming the new Supergirl? Unlikely in the current era.
    I don't think that's the end all be all of what they're looking for. And even if changing up the demographic were a bit part of this, Ruthye could simply be gay, bi, pan, etc.

And, granted this is a pet theory of mine, I think they're also banking on the new race PKJ is creating to provide us with a female Kryptonian-ish alien who is of color. But, and again this is a pet theory, I think that particular character is going to be made into a possible love interest for Jon. I suspect DC, and Taylor in particular, are likely interested in having a Superman who's in an interracial relationship. But they'd likely not want to muddy things up by making that character Supergirl on top of that (like I'd originally thought).

I think things line up fairly well.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if it's the perfect time for a rebranding though when the show is probably going to be fresh in people's minds...or virtually every other Supergirl media appearance. Maybe like a few years after the show ends.
    I don't think they care. And why would they? That's a show that's ending, so like any company they're looking for the Next Big Thing to do with the IP rather they just riding the wave of the leftover embers of a show at the end of its life cycle. Modern comics are as much an IP farm as they are a chance for synergy and advertisement.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

They’ve teased it a couple times but it’s unlikely. Jon is the focus and a daughter at this stage doesn’t really fit in their plans. I’m sure Taylor is pitching to bring his Injustice OC daughter into canon though.
    I think it was Buccelato who wrote that dream sequence with the OC daughter.

(I think people honestly forget Taylor only really wrote Year 1, 2, and I think a brief bit of Year 3).
    Which is also her characterization post-FP as well. Wholesome Pre-Crisis Kara hasn’t existed since CoIE frankly.
    I think Post-Crisis Kara's have had their wholesome moments even if they're not always in "happy go lucky smiley" mode.
    TOTALLY disagree. You refer to an adult female as a “girl” instead of a woman and you’re going to get a reaction and it probably won’t be a positive one. This simply a signifier that Kara is an “adult” and is moving into a new stage of her life like Jon and Clark are.
    I think it depends who does it. Not that I'm an expert on women but I think women are more comfortable referring to themselves as girls at any age than, say, if a guy did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't think they care. And why would they? That's a show that's ending, so like any company they're looking for the Next Big Thing to do with the IP rather they just riding the wave of the leftover embers of a show at the end of its life cycle. Modern comics are as much an IP farm as they are a chance for synergy and advertisement.
    That kind of makes it sound like they're getting ready if Melissa Benoist ever wants to do it again .

I wouldn't call if leftover embers so much as just image within the public conscious. If a Superman movie came out and they relaunched Clark with a new name I would probably give a side-eye.

Huh. That's never been my general feeling. I never got the feeling it was nearly seen as a pejorative like calling a guy a boy has commonly been seen as emasculating and insulting. Of course, actual women know far better than I ever could. I would of course stand corrected.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-14-2021 at 07:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Huh. That's never been my general feeling. I never got the feeling it was nearly seen as a pejorative like calling a guy a boy has commonly been seen as emasculating and insulting. Of course, actual women know far better than I ever could. I would of course stand corrected.
    I only have my own personal experience which of course is anecdotal, but I’ve had a few times when my boomer superiors have referred to my female co-workers as “girl” and their reaction was not positive
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Boy vs man might be emasculating, girl vs woman is being condescending by comparison.

Lol, goodness gracious. Instead of guessing how women feels I’ll just tell you, the only people I feel comfortable calling me “girl” are my close girl friends.

And if you don’t believe me, please gentlemen, feel free to call your Millennial female coworkers, or any woman over 24 “girl”. And if your hesitant too, maybe there’s a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Boy vs man might be emasculating, girl vs woman is being condescending by comparison.
    Yes it is exactly this.

The only grown man in comics who still goes by “boy” is Hellboy and even then I have people ask my why if he’s an adult. If people don’t think the word “girl” is the problem, maybe we should change more of the male characters names to “boy”, or is that considered a step backwards? Hmmmmmmm.

And if you want to make the arrangement that Supergirl as a brand is less marketable than Superwoman, that’s a different argument than weather a grown woman finds it offensive or not to be called “girl”.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-15-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean I’m pretty okay with this, I like the idea that Kara after turning 21, which by the way I’m pretty okay with her being 21 now after being 15 through 16 for the past decade. I like the idea that Kara after turning 21 flew off to another world, probably not to be around Clark since he’s be responsible, and had a fun night.

I’m not reading like she’s trying to forget I’m reading that she’s partying like a 21 year old girl would on her birthday, only that she had to go somewhere that her powers wouldn’t get in the way (kind of like when Wolverine has to work really hard to get drunk).
    I wasn’t being sarcastic when I wrote that. Kara fighting Drunken style gets an 11/10 in my book.

And yeah, I think DC should let her grow up. Most other heroes have. Rebellious teenager gets tiresome after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I wasn’t being sarcastic when I wrote that. Kara fighting Drunken style gets an 11/10 in my book.

And yeah, I think DC should let her grow up. Most other heroes have. Rebellious teenager gets tiresome after a while.
    Oh I didn’t mean anything by it, I just mean that Clark is not the fun kind of guy/superhero who you want with you when you celebrate your 21st birthday. If anyone you want people like Green Lantern, Flash, plastic man, etc. Anyone else is just going to bring you down and Jon & Conner might have been to Young. It’s her 21st birthday so she’s going to have fun and party like I’m sure a lot of us have.

As for not bringing anyone well she flew to space with a red sun, outside of a green lantern who could she possibly bring. Like Batgirl can’t come with even if she wanted to.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh I didn’t mean anything by it, I just mean that Clark is not the fun kind of guy/superhero who you want with you when you celebrate your 21st birthday. If anyone you want people like Green Lantern, Flash, plastic man, etc. Anyone else is just going to bring you down and Jon & Conner might have been to Young. It’s her 21st birthday so she’s going to have fun and party like I’m sure a lot of us have.

As for not bringing anyone well she flew to space with a red sun, outside of a green lantern who could she possibly bring. Like Batgirl can’t come with even if she wanted to.
    Yeah, why is she partying alone? Poor Kara.

Well I guess she’s got Krypto.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The complication is that she refers to herself as Supergirl. She has every right to call herself Superwoman, but if she wants to be Supergirl that's fine too. Much like how PG is usually in her late twenties or early thirties and still goes by Girl.

I'm sure it's a tone and familiarity thing as well.

But it's a brand thing before anything else.

Anecdotal, but I typically just refer to someone by what they refer to themselves as and have gotten by alright. Before then it's just "sir" or "ms." Then again in California you can pretty much dude anyone because it's practically unisex here. lol

Yeah, why is she partying alone? Poor Kara.

Well I guess she’s got Krypto.
    He's the only company anyone would ever need. The goodest boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The complication is that she refers to herself as Supergirl. She has every right to call herself Superwoman, but if she wants to be Supergirl that's fine too. Much like how PG is usually in her late twenties or early thirties and still goes by Girl.

I'm sure it's a tone and familiarity thing as well.

But it's a brand thing before anything else.

Anecdotal, but I typically just refer to someone by what they refer to themselves as and have gotten by alright. Before then it's just "sir" or "ms." Then again in California you can pretty much dude anyone because it's practically unisex here. lol
    The problem with that is it's usually a male writer saying the female character is fine with having "girl" in their name at that age.

Of course, it doesn't matter how Kara and Power Girl feel in that sense because they can't feel anything, being fictional characters and all that. But it can change what other people find appropriate, I guess.

Also everyone calls everyone "dude" where I live too.

He's the only company anyone would ever need. The goodest boy.
    That he is, that he is.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-15-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The problem with that is it's usually a male writer saying the female character is fine with having "girl" in their name at that age.

Of course, it doesn't matter how Kara and Power Girl feel in that sense because they can't feel anything, being fictional characters and all that. But it can change what other people find appropriate, I guess.

Also everyone calls everyone "dude" where I live too.

That he is, that he is.
    That's a good point, but it's kind of an impossible situation to deal with for characters that will change writers forever because then the only way to avoid it is to only have writers of that demographic write the character. Having creators stay in their lane is a slippery slope I want to avoid. A sufficiently good writer can write experiences that ring true if they're willing to put the work in.

It's corporate IP, so the rules are a bit different. If the reasoning is sound and fits the character's voice, I can live with it. I think Kara would go Superwoman pretty early into adulthood, but Karen I'm not sure. I can see her keeping it because it's her brand (she does have a background in business after all) and she never lets anyone get away with disrespecting her or treating her any less. I can see her forcing people to respect "girl" as much as they would "woman." That feels on brand for her. I'm not adamant in her keeping it Power Girl, mind, even if it will take a while before a new name stops sounding weird.

She's one of the only characters I can buy it for. I don't know why Barbara Gordon never became Batwoman in a world where she isn't Oracle.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-15-2021 at 10:51 AM.

That's a good point, but it's kind of an impossible situation to deal with for characters that will change writers forever because then the only way to avoid it is to only have writers of that demographic write the character.

It's corporate IP, so the rules are a bit different. If the reasoning is sound and fits the character's voice, I can live with it. I think Kara would go Superwoman pretty early into adulthood, but Karen I'm not sure. I can see her keeping it because it's her brand (she does have a background in business after all) and she never lets anyone get away with disrespecting her or treating her any less. I can see her forcing people to respect "girl" as much as they would "woman." That feels on brand for her. I'm not adamant in her keeping it Power Girl, mind, even if it will take a while before a new name stops sounding weird.

She's one of the only characters I can buy it for. I don't know why Barbara Gordon never became Batwoman in a world where she isn't Oracle.
    Probably because Kate exists?