Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked it but full disclosure: outside of Heroes in Crisis and the second half of his Batman run I’ve enjoyed everything King has done. If you dig the premise of Supergirl meets True Grit, I recommend this.
    So, no superheroes committing war crimes this time around? That art is definitely amazing

How does this compare to Up in the Sky?

Always Rakzo

Another story where I feel I wasted my time, in fact most of the issues felt like wastes of time due to how redundant they were and with an ending in which the more I think about it, the more I realize that nobody learned anything. Good old Tom King.

At least Evely's artwork was amazing. I would totally buy a (good) Supergirl book from her.

Mighty Member

It was not the worst Tom King Series that I have read (Heroes in Crisis is unsurpassable) but it's surely not in my top five. There is a lot of things to love, the writing of Kara Zor-el is good, her evolution is interesting... but this ending... so nihilistic, so bleak for superman/supergirl title. So, in the end no one learn anything, there is no forgiveness, no rehalibitative justice. It's sure that this title not helped my depression.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    It was not the worst Tom King Series that I have read (Heroes in Crisis is unsurpassable) but it's surely not in my top five. There is a lot of things to love, the writing of Kara Zor-el is good, her evolution is interesting... but this ending... so nihilistic, so bleak for superman/supergirl title. So, in the end no one learn anything, there is no forgiveness, no rehalibitative justice. It's sure that this title not helped my depression.

How do you figure? Both Ruthye and Kara forgave him, Ruthye learned about revenge being negative, and he was rehabilitated in the Zone...plus, we got Krypto back. I found the whole thing pretty uplifting....

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Really enjoyed the conclusion and the series overall. Loved how the first panel got right to it, Krem and his “Do it. Hell, enjoy it,” with the blade at his neck. When I first read Ruthye at the end saying her book was “fictitious fiddle-faddle” (a great elderly person word, BTW ) I thought it was just going to be feigning modesty about her book; pretty cool how it was actually part of the end game.

From a scenery standpoint, I really loved the ocean/beach planet with the undersea life are floating around in the sky instead of underwater (world turned upside down?) in the past couple issues. Would love to see this in either TP or hardcover with additional concept artwork, sketches, etc. Regardless of varying opinions on the story, the art was damn incredible.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    How do you figure? Both Ruthye and Kara forgave him, Ruthye learned about revenge being negative, and he was rehabilitated in the Zone...plus, we got Krypto back. I found the whole thing pretty uplifting....
    Yeah I don’t know how you can read the ending as “nihilistic”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I wonder just how far in the future the ending takes place. It says that Krem was sentenced to serve 300 years, but I assume that's years as measured on the Ruthye and Krem home planet. After all, both Ruthye and Krem were still alive, which seems unlikely if it were 300 earth years. Assuming people on that planet have basically the same physiology and life span as humans, it was probably 70 to 80 earth years. Kara seems to be holding up well. I doubt, though, that the dog is really the original Krypto. Maybe Krypto sired pups?

Incredible Member

I read it rather straightforwardly. Yes, it has been around 300 years since Krem was captured. Yes, people of Ruthye's and Krem's species can live that long, why wouldn't they? Yes, that's Krypto, still alive after 300 years. Because if Kal gets to live for eternity just because of a little sunlight, why wouldn't Krypto?

As for the ending, it was decent. A 12 or 13-year-old girl beating a grown trained veteran in single combat is completely ridiculous, and it doesn't even have the "oh, but she has super-training" aspect to it that teen sidekicks have, but I guess it's... not so much "acceptable" as "easy to ignore". Comet and Kara being basically confirmed former love interests right before Comet dies has to be one of the funniest things King and Evely did in this series. Ruthye stopping Kara from killing Krem was well-done, though the whole sequence striked me as "let's write it vaguely enough that readers can inject whatever meaning they want into it" rather than actually being meaningful. The flash-forward to the end was amusing. Krem in Phantom Zone has the standard "the Phantom Zone is inhuman" charge behind it (otherwise it's just a life sentence that ended when he repented), so hardly this book's issues so much as a general Super-mythos deal. And no, Krem isn't killed in the end, that would go against the whole tone of that sequence.

So overall... I don't think I'd recommend this series with the exception of the third issue, which was genuinely great.

I mean, he's such a bag of bones, I can believe hitting him would kill him, especially since Kara leaves without helping him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I mean, he's such a bag of bones, I can believe hitting him would kill him, especially since Kara leaves without helping him.
    Of course, Ruthye is kind of a bag of bones herself, so maybe the blow wouldn't be lethal. Maybe it wasn't even meant to be, but it was just a way of her getting some measure of revenge.

Incredible Member

C'mon, it's obvious that Kara wouldn't leave him to die. If she didn't do it when she was at her most emotionally compromised, then she's not going to do it when she's perfectly calm. That was just Ruthye going "no, I don't forgive you" in a slapstick way.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    C'mon, it's obvious that Kara wouldn't leave him to die. If she didn't do it when she was at her most emotionally compromised, then she's not going to do it when she's perfectly calm. That was just Ruthye going "no, I don't forgive you" in a slapstick way.
    Yeah, well, King isn't exactly a perfect writer who always stays on theme, so it's hard to tell sometimes. *coughHeroesInCrisiscough*