Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Probably because Kate exists?
    We have three Batgirls now and have nearly always had several Flashes and Green Lanterns. The Trinity I get, but the other identities?

Barbara and Kate have a lot more to differentiate them than some redundant characters. I think it's fine. Hell, I'd argue Barbara has had more historical claim to it than Kate who only became Batwoman because writers weren't going to let Barbara stop being Batgirl until she became a prop to hurt her dad with.

Oracle is one of DC's best examples of turning something terrible into gold, but she probably would have become Batwoman long before Killing Joke had the times been different.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-15-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We have three Batgirls now and have nearly always had several Flashes and Green Lanterns. The Trinity I get, but the other identities?

Barbara and Kate have a lot more to differentiate them than some redundant characters. I think it's fine.
    OK, but DC is probably not going to that ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    OK, but DC is probably not going to that ever.
    They definitely won't, but again, it's corporate IP. There's more to it than story. The Batwoman brand is pretty heavily linked to a lesbian hero now so unless Barbara is going to join many of Gotham's prominent females in bisexuality, they won't make that change for that reason alone.

Superwoman has no preconceived notions save Earth-3 Lois being awful, and that's a semi-deep cut so Kara has that possibility.

I could develop some interst in Kara upgrading if it meant bringing back and repackaging Matrix. But I doubt that'd be the case, they've been creating and pushing new legacy characters. Furthermore another reason this possible eventuality bothers me is because of the Future State thing with Kara and Jon. A storyline where they're at odds and Kara is the "broken" one? Ugh.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-15-2021 at 12:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I could develop some interst in Kara upgrading if it meant bringing back and repackaging Matrix. But I doubt that'd be the case, they've been creating and pushing new legacy characters. Furthermore another reason this possible eventuality bothers me is because of the Future State thing with Kara and Jon. A storyline where they're at odds and Kara is the "broken" one? Ugh.
    There’s no little to no chance the Jon Kent portion of Future State will come to pass. PKJ said as much on that Aspiring Kryptonians podcast interview. If Kara does team up with Jon it will be under Taylor. I will likely dislike what he does but I doubt he’ll have the two at odds.

As for Matrix, apparently King is drawing on the PAD run, so maybe some stuff from that era will be brought back into canon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I liked Peter David's Supergirl run.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Everyone says it's pretty good. I'm so burnt by his Aquaman I just cannot bring myself to try his Supergirl but maybe I should bite that bullet.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Everyone says it's pretty good. I'm so burnt by his Aquaman I just cannot bring myself to try his Supergirl but maybe I should bite that bullet.
    I got the first of the new deluxe volumes. I liked it but wasn't blown away by it, but do see the appeal and considered getting the next few. (What was bad about his Aquaman, btw?)

I think I enjoy it as an alternate extended "Elseworld" take on Supergirl (which it essentially is now) but it's just too weird and disconnected from the rest of the Super mythos for me to think of it as what Supergirl should be regularly. The concepts would probably grab me more if it was a Vertigo series about a supernatural angel-themed heroine and not Super-related.

Though I guess now since Kara just goes by "Kara Danvers"...why not bring Linda back as her step cousin? And re-work her as an ally to the Super family and bring in the angel stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I got the first of the new deluxe volumes. I liked it but wasn't blown away by it, but do see the appeal and considered getting the next few. (What was bad about his Aquaman, btw?)

I think I enjoy it as an alternate extended "Elseworld" take on Supergirl (which it essentially is now) but it's just too weird and disconnected from the rest of the Super mythos for me to think of it as what Supergirl should be regularly. The concepts would probably grab me more if it was a Vertigo series about a supernatural angel-themed heroine and not Super-related.

Though I guess now since Kara just goes by "Kara Danvers"...why not bring Linda back as her step cousin? And re-work her as an ally to the Super family and bring in the angel stuff?
    Could easily make Linda a spin-off hero of Zauriel I suppose, but I don’t know if it’s worth it. Linda has been gone for decades now, and I don’t think she’d really appeal to a viable audience.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think PAD basically ended up doing that, from what I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think PAD basically ended up doing that, from what I remember right.
    Fallen Angel series, right?

Overly edgy, treated Mera like ****, had Arthur sleep with Dolphin while still married to Mera. Just a whole lot of "this ain't my Aquaman" so I peaced out. A lot of people consider that his best run but I do not appreciate it at all.

Even if it has the best Manta moment of the modern age.

Overly edgy, treated Mera like ****, had Arthur sleep with Dolphin while still married to Mera. Just a whole lot of "this ain't my Aquaman" so I peaced out. A lot of people consider that his best run but I do not appreciate it at all.

Yeah, yikes that all sounds pretty bad.

Was manta-human hybrid Black Manta from this run, or was it something else? I can't say I ever cared for that look and glad it died quickly. It's like they took inspiration from post-Crisis Cheetah but it just didn't work nearly as well with Manta.

Fallen Angel series, right?
    That's what I'm thinking of, yeah .

From what I recall DCAU JL Aquaman used that run as the basis so I figure I wouldn’t like it either since I thought Aquaman, even as a kid, was a tool on the show.