Re member

Default Didio had Fascist plans for Supergirl?

The more I hear the more I’m glad 5G never happened.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gran...scist-as-well/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It kind of did. I posted this on the Morrison thread: I think the whole 5G thing came from up top. Didio hates the idea of legacies because he thought it made the heroes look old. This is a guy who wanted get rid of Wally and Dick. So I doubt this was his idea. This whole thing has a long term movie franchise feel to it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

To be completely fair, Morrison implied that Didio pitched "Superman as an authoritarian" with the clear intention of being contradicted and counter-pitched, so it is entirely possible Kara would have been the same...

... but in the end the answer to why this was even considered is obvious: if you make Clark and Kara both "authoritarians/fascists/what-have-you", it lets Jon shine even brighter. Same reasoning you can find on Clark's and Kara's depictions in Future State, or their current status as both off-world.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    To be completely fair, Morrison implied that Didio pitched "Superman as an authoritarian" with the clear intention of being contradicted and counter-pitched, so it is entirely possible Kara would have been the same...

... but in the end the answer to why this was even considered is obvious: if you make Clark and Kara both "authoritarians/fascists/what-have-you", it lets Jon shine even brighter. Same reasoning you can find on Clark's and Kara's depictions in Future State, or their current status as both off-world.
    This is giving DiDio way too much credit. It isn't like this would be the first hero who went evil during his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is giving DiDio way too much credit. It isn't like this would be the first hero who went evil during his tenure.
    Granted this is maybe the 4th or 5th time it's happened to Kara under his enture.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post

Yeah...you could argue that it plays into this notion of Superman (and Supergirl) being the ''right-wing authoritarian'' symbols of American society, which would leave Jon free to be the anti-establishment ''woke'' crusader.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Granted this is maybe the 4th or 5th time it's happened to Kara under his enture.
    When she was initially brought back after COIE in the early 2000s, she was merely sullen, surly, and disinclined to save anyone or be a hero. A brat with superpowers. Now...er, what is she? Haven't been following her since that early bit turned me off.

I don't think that she ever was evil, even Red Lantern Supergirl wasn't evil, she was just mad.
    Last edited by HsssH; 02-19-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think that she ever was evil, even Red Lantern Supergirl wasn't evill, she was just mad.
    Ah, teenagers.

"It's not a faze, Clark!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think that she ever was evil, even Red Lantern Supergirl wasn't evil, she was just mad.

I don't know, Amazon's Attack SG and WG for that matter came very, very close to evil.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

*Shakes magic H8 Ball*

"Did you expect anything less?"
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.