Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I never read any of the Linda Danvers stuff, though personally I’m not all that interested in doing so, no offense to people who are fans of that character. It’s just that when I started reading DC I think they had either already brought her back in Batman/Superman or they were in the middle of doing that but either way I was much more interested in Superman’s cousin as a hero then a girl who merged with another alien and became Supergirl.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Interview with King, haven’t watched it yet but I plan to later.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

- Tom King got the job because editorial had no idea what to do with Supergirl. He compares it to a "Jack Kirby walks into DC and asks for the lowest selling book" situation
    - King mentions that, while his approach to Bat-people is to tear them down and rebuild them in a Dark Knight Returns/Watchmen way, his approach to Super-people is to "let them be themselves" by "getting rid of the barnacles" (isn't this a Byrne quotation?) to get the most pure version of them and "make them shine". He says he has used this approach for Superman: Up in the Sky.
    - He compares his approach to Superman: Up In The Sky to reading the New Testament, where the theme of every page is "Superman/Jesus is awesome".
    - He wants to test Supergirl's limits (not Kara, Supergirl), but he doesn't want to make her mean or sad. He wants to go back to the Otto Binder Supergirl. He finds the popularity of "Supergirl as a Red Lantern"-style takes to be strange.
    - King has spoken to Steve Orlando about Supergirl. Kara lived Krypton and Clark didn't.
    - He's going with "Kara was 14 when Krypton exploded and got launched with Argo City. Then Argo City became kryptonite and more people died until Zor-El put lead sheets on the ground. Then rockets came and brought the lead sheets and Kara finally got launched into space." as a backstory. So 3 times watching her people die. So he's going with a world-weary Kara to start with.
    - It's 100% in continuity and what happens here will impact Kara. King says Ruthye will be an important character in DC going forward.
    - King explicitely says she's evolving from being Supergirl to being Superwoman as a character.
    - The planet they start in is inspired by Conan comics.
    - King says the Hollywood pitch would be "True Grit in space with Supergirl"
    - Bilquis Evely used Moebius, Kirby, Barry Windsor Smith, Wally Wood as inspiration for this comic.
    - Evely is halfway done with the series, so King isn't expecting delays.
    - It's 8 issues instead of 12 because they don't expect it to sell.
    - Tom King laughes at the idea of turning to Kingdom Come for hope. This has nothing to do with Supergirl, but I approve inmensely so I'm still including it here.
    - The book is about "stepping forwards into the future and kicking ass".
    -

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    - Tom King got the job because editorial had no idea what to do with Supergirl. He compares it to a "Jack Kirby walks into DC and asks for the lowest selling book" situation
    - King mentions that, while his approach to Bat-people is to tear them down and rebuild them in a Dark Knight Returns/Watchmen way, his approach to Super-people is to "let them be themselves" by "getting rid of the barnacles" (isn't this a Byrne quotation?) to get the most pure version of them and "make them shine". He says he has used this approach for Superman: Up in the Sky.
    - He compares his approach to Superman: Up In The Sky to reading the New Testament, where the theme of every page is "Superman/Jesus is awesome".
    - He wants to test Supergirl's limits (not Kara, Supergirl), but he doesn't want to make her mean or sad. He wants to go back to the Otto Binder Supergirl. He finds the popularity of "Supergirl as a Red Lantern"-style takes to be strange.
    - King has spoken to Steve Orlando about Supergirl. Kara lived Krypton and Clark didn't.
    - He's going with "Kara was 14 when Krypton exploded and got launched with Argo City. Then Argo City became kryptonite and more people died until Zor-El put lead sheets on the ground. Then rockets came and brought the lead sheets and Kara finally got launched into space." as a backstory. So 3 times watching her people die. So he's going with a world-weary Kara to start with.
    - It's 100% in continuity and what happens here will impact Kara. King says Ruthye will be an important character in DC going forward.
    - King explicitely says she's evolving from being Supergirl to being Superwoman as a character.
    - The planet they start in is inspired by Conan comics.
    - King says the Hollywood pitch would be "True Grit in space with Supergirl"
    - Bilquis Evely used Moebius, Kirby, Barry Windsor Smith, Wally Wood as inspiration for this comic.
    - Evely is halfway done with the series, so King isn't expecting delays.
    - It's 8 issues instead of 12 because they don't expect it to sell.
    - Tom King laughes at the idea of turning to Kingdom Come for hope. This has nothing to do with Supergirl, but I approve inmensely so I'm still including it here.
    - The book is about "stepping forwards into the future and kicking ass".
    -
    One of the things I have gotten weary of with kings books has been his overt use of deconstruction for the hero. Hopefully he will be true to his words and we will get a more silver-agey hopeful story.
    Evely, on the other hand is an inspired choice for artist. She's just perfect.

Jeez, is it that hard to come up with ideas for Kara? She's like the second biggest hero in this franchise after Superman himself.

Is this why they keep turning her evil?
    So not angry Supergirl? He mentions Red Lantern Supergirl, but that sounds kind of more like a commentary on New 52 Supergirl (sorry Vordan).
    Kara's backstory gets more convoluted and tragic the more you go into it.
    I guess that lends credence to the idea that she'll be the new Supergirl.
    Well, there you go. Bleh .

Tom King laughes at the idea of turning to Kingdom Come for hope. This has nothing to do with Supergirl, but I approve inmensely so I'm still including it here.
    Wow! One of these pros who actually gets the point of Kingdom Come. I can’t articulate why but I’m kind of surprised that’s coming from King. Kingdom Come is not a aspirational story or a good Superman story (or story where Superman is good). It’s a disaster.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Looks like Kara will get a slight design update too with a new belt and some darker details. Was hoping they’d use the Future State design and give her pants but oh well.

Of course they don’t know what to do with Kara, they don’t even freaking know what to do with Clark! Everything he’s saying sounds interesting though, and it basically confirms
    1. He’s bringing back the Pre-Crisis Origin
    2. Kara will be Superwoman at the end of all this (and maybe Ruthye will be Supergirl?)
    3. He’s trying to tell a more uplifting story here, I loved Up in the Sky! so I do think he can do it

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Of course they don’t know what to do with Kara, they don’t even freaking know what to do with Clark! Everything he’s saying sounds interesting though, and it basically confirms
    1. He’s bringing back the Pre-Crisis Origin
    2. Kara will be Superwoman at the end of all this (and maybe Ruthye will be Supergirl?)
    3. He’s trying to tell a more uplifting story here, I loved Up in the Sky! so I do think he can do it
    Not exactly. Pre-Crisis Kara was born in Argo City years after Krypton exploded. It sounds more like he's welding her origins across multiple continuities for maximum angst potential.

As for Up In The Sky... I don't love it the way several others do, but a Tom King story trying to be uplifting while still being clearly closer to the likes of Mr. Miracle than to the likes of Darkseid War: Green Lantern certainly makes for an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post

Looks like Kara will get a slight design update too with a new belt and some darker details. Was hoping they’d use the Future State design and give her pants but oh well.
    I'm honestly going to roll my eyes if this Superwoman thing leads to her wearing pants, because of course .
    Not exactly. Pre-Crisis Kara was born in Argo City years after Krypton exploded. It sounds more like he's welding her origins across multiple continuities for maximum angst potential.

As for Up In The Sky... I don't love it the way several others do, but a Tom King story trying to be uplifting while still being clearly closer to the likes of Mr. Miracle than to the likes of Darkseid War: Green Lantern certainly makes for an interesting read.
    I thought Up In the Sky was okay. Like, I think it's a solid Superman story but there are still those Tom King-isms...but I wasn't disappointed by the end of it.

Well, I guess that is the death toll for Power Girl, at least as I grew to know and love her.

Eh, I'll believe it'll end up a more uplifting story when I'll see it. He can do it in short stand alone stuff, but he has yet to prove he can do it in a longer story. Till then he's the last guy who has any room to be cracking wise about the darkness of other works.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Well, I guess that is the death toll for Power Girl, at least as I grew to know and love her.
    Power Girl is confirmed for the JSA relaunch. And I imagine they'll be written with different personalities, assuming the attempt to to rebrand Kara as Superwoman actually sticks, which I'm somewhat doubtful it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    ...I’m not following your logic. Kara and Karen fulfill totally different roles. Karen is barely even an E0 Superfamily member, she and Clark aren’t close at all, and Kara has no ties to the JSA. I don’t see what Kara becoming Superwoman would change about Karen at all.