Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

We know it's at least 20 years later, as Ruthye says it was decades ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Looks like Kara next to someone who's dead or dying

Extraordinary Member

Incredible Member

The traumatic secrets of Supergirl's past are revealed

You mean Krypton's explosion and her parents' death like is shown in the cover? Wouldn't call that a secret, but I guess Ruthye doesn't know that. Comet the Super-horse appearing again sounds cool and fitting for that Western vibe.

she must leave Ruthye behind with the man who killed her beloved father

Uh oh, that's not going to end well. I'm assuming Kara kills Krem so Ruthye doesn't "become a killer" herself, in true Western antihero fashion.

Astonishing Member

But if it's True Grit, Ruthye's driving motivation is to have her father's killer brought to justice rather than to extract vengeance on him herself. Of course, Kara may nevertheless have to kill Krem to save Ruthye from him. Kara has already killed one person in this story (when she and Krypto were shot with poisoned arrows), so there well may be more killing on her part.

Extraordinary Member

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #4 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Bilquis Evely

Hah Comet actually is showing up! My guess is issue 6 is where King brings back the Pre-Crisis origin of Kal dumping Kara in an orphanage since King mentioned liking a lot of that background.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Good guess on the Pre-Crisis origin. Gotta milk that for all the drama it's worth.

Preview looks good, seems like I'll like this issue better than the previous ones.

Issue was a pretty nice exploration of Kara’s compassion and rage, the two most important attributes for a Supercharacter imo, so I really enjoyed it! Really liked the scene where she flies into the sun to vent.

Incredible Member

The one that most reminded me of "Up in the Sky", except with more atrocities along the way. Liked the issue, liked the travelogue approach, art remains fantastic, King made the right choice by having Ruthye's analysis of Kara remain just her assumptions from having spend time with her in one of the most trauma-filled periods of both their lives, we have so much build up to Kara killing Krem in this issue that I'm almost convinced everything is blatant misdirection.

Only thing I'm weirded out by is from King saying he wanted to go back to the Otto Binder Supergirl because this ain't it, chief.

Astonishing Member

I definitely don't mind the decompression of a maxi-series so much when every panel of Evely art is a tall drink of gorgeous. I think there's probably a lesson in pacing there; a methodical pace requires a methodical artist.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I definitely don't mind the decompression of a maxi-series so much when every panel of Evely art is a tall drink of gorgeous. I think there's probably a lesson in pacing there; a methodical pace requires a methodical artist.
    If you’re going to figuratively stop and smell the roses along the way, it pays to make the roses look and smell good. Evely really nails a different variety of scifi styles. I really like how King is just throwing all these alien civilizations at her to draw and us to see, this is the first cosmic series in a while to really make DC Cosmic feel big.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Finally got my copy and read it. Got to be the most brutal issue thus far right? Those early panels were pretty horrific, especially the scenes of the guy who was basically chopped down to a living stump. And the panels with the grave digger... very dark.

At first I wasn't sure how the narration of Ruthye would hold up but I def like how she's the framing device for the characterization of Supergirl on the whole.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 09-24-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Finally got my copy and read it. Got to be the most brutal issue thus far right? Those early panels were pretty horrific, especially the scenes of the guy who was basically chopped down to a living stump. And the panels with the grave digger... very dark.

At first I wasn't sure how the narration of Ruthye would hold up but I def like how she's the framing device for the characterization of Supergirl on the whole.
    That her opinions on Kara provide an escape hatch of “if you disagree with how King views Supergirl (via the audience surrogate of Ruthye) you can simply chalk it all up to Ruthye’s opinion” works well.