Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW #8
    Written by TOM KING
    Art and cover by BILQUIS EVELY
    Variant cover by JANAINA MEDIEROS
    $4.99 US | 32 pages | 8 of 8 | $4.99 US Variant (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 2/15/22

Krem's fate revealed! As Supergirl continues her battle against the Brigands, Ruthye squares off against this most vile villain in hopes of avenging her father and completing their mission. Will justice be served on both accounts? Or will our heroes fail? You won't want to miss thrilling conclusion of the acclaimed miniseries that has changed Kara Zor-El for good!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kara looks like she's really seen some @#$%.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does have a bit of the 1000 years stare aspect doesn’t it?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

That's the look all characters written by Tom King inevitably get.

Extraordinary Member

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #6 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Bilquis Evely

Incredible Member

Because there was no way a Tom King Supergirl book would come and go without covering this.

To be assiduously fair to King, who does tend to retreat into themes of "wow, these costumed yahoos are really effed up" with annoying frequency, the relative weight of Kara's Krypton-related PTSD as compared to Kal's isn't plumbed as often as it should be. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    To be assiduously fair to King, who does tend to retreat into themes of "wow, these costumed yahoos are really effed up" with annoying frequency, the relative weight of Kara's Krypton-related PTSD as compared to Kal's isn't plumbed as often as it should be. IMHO.
    Yep. Kara being happy go lucky has never made sense to me. Of the Superfamily she should absolutely be the one with PTSD and trauma over Krypton’s death. I like that aspect of her getting focused on and used because it separates her from the others and makes her different.

Yep. Kara being happy go lucky has never made sense to me. Of the Superfamily she should absolutely be the one with PTSD and trauma over Krypton’s death. I like that aspect of her getting focused on and used because it separates her from the others and makes her different.
    I don't think people expect her to be happy go lucky but to channel those feelings into something positive or to do good. Otherwise the character would get really depressing.

I don't think people expect her to be happy go lucky but to channel those feelings into something positive or to do good. Otherwise the character would get really depressing.
    And she should but I am totally ok with her grief being something that never really heals. Losing your planet isn’t something you are ever going to “get over” per say. Plus again, it’s something that makes her different from Clark and I want that when it comes to the Superfamily.

And she should but I am totally ok with her grief being something that never really heals. Losing your planet isn’t something you are ever going to “get over” per say. Plus again, it’s something that makes her different from Clark and I want that when it comes to the Superfamily.
    Oh, I totally get that. I don't think it would ever fully heal (unless we got something, like, New Krypton) but I guess how that gets conveyed depends on the story or approach. Like in Johns' Brainiac story where she takes it really personally when they fight Brainiac even though she's normal Supergirl otherwsie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #6 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Bilquis Evely

That depiction of Krypton's destruction makes it look disturbingly like a coronavirus.

Incredible Member

Read it. Can't give my thoughts right now since I'm way too cynical about King giving us exactly what I expected him to give us (not to mention that honestly puzzling at the end where Ruthye goes "hope doesn't keep her going, what keeps her going is [proceeds to describe hope with other words]") to appreciate whether he did it right or just gave us a tragic backstory overblown enough to make edgy anime rivals envious, but at least the art continues to be great. Will have to re-read later.

I mean from the sounds of it he took the golden age origin from way back pre-crisis but told it in a way of how someone probably feel having gone through all of that instead of the pulpy way they told it. Because it would be really dark and depressing have survived on your home planet to be flying through space on some last shred of soil only for it to poison your people. I’m not saying it’s what people want or how well he told it but it’s not inherently inaccurate to me especially considering that Kara was old enough to live through that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.