Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I am not enthused about Tom King on this tbh but the bar is low, if he writes Kara better than some other female characters he's written in the past (see below) I'll take it as a win.

Panels like this are why I'm not a fan of King's writing in general. I don't like his Batman run, I loathe Heroes in Crisis and I don't see the appeal of his best work like Up in The Sky or Mister Miracle. So I can't say I'm champing at the bit to read King's Supergirl. I'm pleased DC are at least willing to still give her a series so that's good news for Supergirl fans.

Amused at all the people who think he’s going to have Kara commit war crimes. He said on Word Balloon that Strange Adventures was his last work about his typical themes (war, PTSD, wives, etc) and that his next stuff would be on the brighter side. At the time I was a bit disappointed because I was fascinated at what a dark Tom King Superman story would look like, but for Supergirl? I’m a-ok with this being King trying to do a lighter work, especially since I still think it will be more serious.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Unexpected creative team. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    what I don't like is how she is always trying to emulate Superman at everything. Man of Tomorrow, Woman of Tomorrow. Last Son, las daughter. In her TV show, she's also a journalist. She should stand on her own.
    I agree so much. It's is so frustrating how other Supers lose their individual things so they do what Clark did, have aspects of Clark, etc. I admit, she was created in a copyish era, but she at times grew beyond that, and it's frustrating to see her taken back. So doesn't need to have his freaking titles with female pronouns subbed in for her.

And I'm not optimistic with King involved. The "brighter side" would generally be welcome (I really do dislike grimdark), but I just dislike all that I've read of his, and particularly dislike his expressed attitude of just slotting characters into stories he already has instead of building on who they actually are.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-02-2021 at 03:08 PM.

I guess I’m a hypocrite because even though I hate when the other Superfamily members copy Clark’s set up (glasses disguise, journalism, small town roots, etc), I’m ok with them sharing titles. They already are naming themselves Super(whatever) after him, so the titles like “X of Steel” don’t bother me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I guess I’m a hypocrite because even though I hate when the other Superfamily members copy Clark’s set up (glasses disguise, journalism, small town roots, etc), I’m ok with them sharing titles. They already are naming themselves Super(whatever) after him, so the titles like “X of Steel” don’t bother me.
    It doesn't bother me to the same degree, exactly. I just find it symptomatic of the same attitude towards the character, and that is not a good thing to me.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Unexpected surprise on this creative team for sure! Curious to see if/how King does on a lighter story. Frankly, I would have been very happy with the FS team writing an ongoing, but I am looking forward to this.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm just all in. King here and there but this just sounds amazing, been a huge fan of evely for a while
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

On the one hand, Tom King (haven't read Up in the Sky, but he seems antithetical to a Supergirl book), on the other...Bliquis Evely. Not sure how to feel here .

Haven't we gotten enough of Kara frustrated with comparisons to Clark? That ended by the end of the first season of her TV show.

Feels like writers don't know what to do with Krypto that they just stick him with Kara. Media adaptions seem to be the only ones to remember her cat.
    Well she won’t be Earth’s champion in this! In this she’s off on an intergalactic adventure, which I like as Kara’s “thing”. Of the Superfamily, Kara is the one I see who could leave Earth and build a new life for herself somewhere else and be happy. That’s why I enjoyed Future State Superwoman so much.
    I actually like Kara non Earth because I feel like she tells a more relevant take on the immigrant metaphor than Clark does, and you can't really get that with another character in the Superfamily.
    Amused at all the people who think he’s going to have Kara commit war crimes. He said on Word Balloon that Strange Adventures was his last work about his typical themes (war, PTSD, wives, etc) and that his next stuff would be on the brighter side. At the time I was a bit disappointed because I was fascinated at what a dark Tom King Superman story would look like, but for Supergirl? I’m a-ok with this being King trying to do a lighter work, especially since I still think it will be more serious.
    I know with the GL Darkseid War one-shot that he ostensibly can write something more positive and uplifting, but...it's still just hard for me to grasp.

Even the premise sounds like it can get pretty dark, somber, and reflective.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On the one hand, Tom King (haven't read Up in the Sky, but he seems antithetical to a Supergirl book), on the other...Bliquis Evely. Not sure how to feel here .

Haven't we gotten enough of Kara frustrated with comparisons to Clark? That ended by the end of the first season of her TV show.

Feels like writers don't know what to do with Krypto that they just stick him with Kara. Media adaptions seem to be the only ones to remember her cat.

I actually like Kara non Earth because I feel like she tells a more relevant take on the immigrant metaphor than Clark does, and you can't really get that with another character in the Superfamily.

I know with the GL Darkseid War one-shot that he ostensibly can write something more positive and uplifting, but...it's still just hard for me to grasp.

Even the premise sounds like it can get pretty dark, somber, and reflective.
    That’s fair, but I’d argue that Kara can do that immigrant story off Earth still.

It will get dark, somber, and reflective at times, but so did All-Star Superman after all. As long as the story isn’t nihilistic or dour, I’m fine with that. After all being a beacon of “hope” doesn’t mean much when everything is fine and dandy. You need stuff like the Battle of Helms Deep where all seems lost and then in rides Gandalf.

That’s fair, but I’d argue that Kara can do that immigrant story off Earth still.
    Maybe in a Krypton diaspora sense, yeah.
    It will get dark, somber, and reflective at times, but so did All-Star Superman after all. As long as the story isn’t nihilistic or dour, I’m fine with that. After all being a beacon of “hope” doesn’t mean much when everything is fine and dandy. You need stuff like the Battle of Helms Deep where all seems lost and then in rides Gandalf.
    There's All-Star Superman and then there's Heroes in Crisis. Just not a lot faith in King here. He doesn't really do the dawn that follows the dark all that successfully from my experience.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Slam dunk on the art front.
    King I'm less sure about, but if this is Good King (Hal Jordan DW oneshot, parts of Grayson, Omega Men) instead of Bad King (HiC, parts of Batman) this could be great for Kara

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

DC has got my attention.

Go on....

what I don't like is how she is always trying to emulate Superman at everything. Man of Tomorrow, Woman of Tomorrow. Last Son, las daughter. In her TV show, she's also a journalist. She should stand on her own.
    Don't forget the Red daughter from the TV show.

yeah and Earth's champion... it's very annoying. And Supergirl CW fans still dare to say she is better than Superman lol. I just wish she could stand on her own stories, villains and wins.
    I think than Supergirl have very little own stories so she has to cannibalize Superman stories for her own. Being Super for example is a big offender in this case, because started adapting Superman origin for Supergirl in the first numbers. The best Supergirl stories I remember are the one from Peter David years, but that was a different character at this time.

The artistic team is promising, the cover reminds me of the sword of Superman (which annual was that), but the plot, at least seem the same story of Future State, as beggining point at least.
    Second, I still don't buy the idea of Krypton being destroyed by Jor-El and the Bendislluminati. The idea of adding tha revenge on the Superman myths as part of his genesis is really simplistic. An easy way. Putting a face on a disaster don't convince me. For neither Superman nor Supergirl.
    Now if King gi¿ve it a twist and reveal than all that was a fake out, he will have my unconditional respect forever.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I don’t expect King to reference the Bendis stuff honestly. This mini is likely intended to be in the same vein as his Mister Miracle or Strange Adventures book where it’s mainly standalone. Hell Bendis himself pretty much abandoned that plot and Rogal Zaar as well after he sent Jor-El back to Krypton to die.