Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or "what if Kara was a character in True Grit?"

(Even as miss goody two-shoes she kicked butt though).
    What makes this work for me is that despite Kara being the experienced one, she’s very much a bigger idealist despite her world weariness and age in contrast to Ruthye who is a bit of a Damian style early psycho in how manipulative and eager for violence.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

So, any last bets as to whether Kara adopts the moniker of Superwoman in the next issue or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    So, any last bets as to whether Kara adopts the moniker of Superwoman in the next issue or not?
    Even if she does, I'm not sure if it'll really go anywhere.

Astonishing Member

Also to be resolved is the status of Krypto. The question becomes whether this mini-series is considered to be an out of continuity story, or whether future stories will accept it as canon and will be based upon Kara's being over 21, her (perhaps) being known as Superwoman, the status of Krypto, and the presence of Comet as an active character. Maybe Ruthye too is potentially a character in future stories? Of course, maybe the whole concept of "continuity" is now (or soon will be) completely irrelevant, so everything happened, but nothing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I’m kind of leaning towards “no” now, insofar as the story will end with her changing her name, but I think this story will leave her in a position to change her name if PKJ wants that given he seems to be inheriting her from King it seems.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #8 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Bilquis Evely

Incredible Member

Krem is a bastard and I love it.

Ruthye... I can't see her choice here as anything other than the Dumbest Possible Action trope at work so King and Evely can get the "climactic" duel they wanted. A duel where the longer Ruthye remains alive, the thinner credibility is stretched.

The panels with Kara and Comet, on the other hand, are properly epic.

Great, the most disturbing aspect of the relationship with Comet is being brought back.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Final issue is out. Overall I dug it, but I’m curious what the ending is meant to be understood as. Did Kara kill Krem at the ending and what we see is merely a fantasy of Ruthye’s? The narration contradicts the art in an interesting way.

I didn't think Bilquis Evely could come up with one of my least favorite Kara costumes, but I guess she was also partially responsible for civvie Circe, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't think Bilquis Evely could come up with one of my least favorite Kara costumes, but I guess she was also partially responsible for civvie Circe, so...
    I think we can blame that one on Rucka. I suspect his direction for Circe called for a “civilian” outfit. As a writer he’s an O’Neil student which means he likes his capes “realistic”. The Greek Gods were much more “normal” under his pen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think we can blame that one on Rucka. I suspect his direction for Circe called for a “civilian” outfit. As a writer he’s an O’Neil student which means he likes his capes “realistic”. The Greek Gods were much more “normal” under his pen as well.
    I think that did have a bit of a negative consequence on some of the Rogues and Supporting Cast (Poison and Etta in particular).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Final issue is out. Overall I dug it, but I’m curious what the ending is meant to be understood as. Did Kara kill Krem at the ending and what we see is merely a fantasy of Ruthye’s? The narration contradicts the art in an interesting way.
    spoilers:
    Krem was imprisoned in the phantom zone, however in the book Ruthye published about their adventure she had Supergirl kill him. This ensured that Krem would remain imprisoned in the phantom zone as his allies focused on taking revenge on Kara instead of trying to break him out.
    end of spoilers

Basically the yellow narration boxes are from Ruthye's book.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, is this good Tom King or bad Tom King?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So, is this good Tom King or bad Tom King?
    I liked it but full disclosure: outside of Heroes in Crisis and the second half of his Batman run I’ve enjoyed everything King has done. If you dig the premise of Supergirl meets True Grit, I recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    spoilers:
    Krem was imprisoned in the phantom zone, however in the book Ruthye published about their adventure she had Supergirl kill him. This ensured that Krem would remain imprisoned in the phantom zone as his allies focused on taking revenge on Kara instead of trying to break him out.
    end of spoilers

Basically the yellow narration boxes are from Ruthye's book.
    Oh that’s great, I love that. And the ending is Ruthye basically saying “no I don’t forgive you” but not killing him right?