Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t expect King to reference the Bendis stuff honestly. This mini is likely intended to be in the same vein as his Mister Miracle or Strange Adventures book where it’s mainly standalone. Hell Bendis himself pretty much abandoned that plot and Rogal Zaar as well after he sent Jor-El back to Krypton to die.
    I wouldn’t expect Royal Zaar to get mentioned ever again by anyone but Bendis. That character landed with a thud. Out of deference to Bendis, I don’t think anyone will go out of their way to negate the dumbass idea that he destroyed Krypton, but I would expect that, if he ever appears again, it’ll be as the lunatic that thinks he destroyed Krypton

Yeah I expect they won’t even bother to outright retcon that out, they’ll just ignore it and it will fade away Marvel style into the dustbin of obscure continuity trivia. Either way I don’t think it will matter much here.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Krypton died. Let's leave it at that .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I wouldn’t expect Royal Zaar to get mentioned ever again by anyone but Bendis. That character landed with a thud. Out of deference to Bendis, I don’t think anyone will go out of their way to negate the dumbass idea that he destroyed Krypton, but I would expect that, if he ever appears again, it’ll be as the lunatic that thinks he destroyed Krypton
    I wish it goes that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I expect they won’t even bother to outright retcon that out, they’ll just ignore it and it will fade away Marvel style into the dustbin of obscure continuity trivia. Either way I don’t think it will matter much here.
    Let's hope. It don't like it when Johns tried to do it and neither when Strazcinski tried to do it. Putting a face on the disaster of the destruction of the planet it takes out something from Superman and its mythos. A disaster of that kind it was something Superman (nor Supergirl) can't fight against, depiste all their powers. Putting a face on that event it turn it into a tale of revenge, which sounds a lot like what the solicitation of this Supergirl series seems to be about.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Evely on Kara was enough to get me in, but Krypto seals the deal.

King doesn't have the best track record writing women so I'm worried there, but he excells in limited runs and he'll bring eyes to Kara and hopefully give her a vision that isn't just Clark-lite or outright lifting story elements from him.

Hoping this is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Don't forget the Red daughter from the TV show.

I think than Supergirl have very little own stories so she has to cannibalize Superman stories for her own. Being Super for example is a big offender in this case, because started adapting Superman origin for Supergirl in the first numbers. The best Supergirl stories I remember are the one from Peter David years, but that was a different character at this time.
    And this is why I don't have much respect for the character. She's too much of a copy of Superman. Little originality.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    And this is why I don't have much respect for the character. She's too much of a copy of Superman. Little originality.
    well,it's american comics.Heck! even without that entertainment industry is full of troupes.Also,supergirl wears a skirt.I dare superman to do that.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

It depends what interpretation your looking at. I don't think that's a fair look at Kara.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Tom King is just goth girl Bendis

She is an derivated character, that is true. But originallity not only comes in different origins, but how you developt a character. There are tons of characters who have shared origins or similarities and others who are shameless copies and they succeed because how they are developted. And man, Supergirl have a problem right now.

In their genesis, Supergirl have little to no motive to have a complicated motivation: she was the cousin of Superman, she was from Krypton, she had to do what she was told to do to be a good girl. (You know what I mean.). She became Supergirl to imitate to Superman. But it was the Silver age and until later times that motivation would not be questioned.

Now, a modern interpretation of SUperman had to be developted and changed to make her work. Most of her origins are keep the same, but there uis an essential difference between her and Superman than never has been developted enough: she lived in Krypton (Argo) and had a life there. She lost that life but a mission it was given to her: take care of her cousin. But when she arrives, she is not needed again. She lost that mission again. So she becameSupergirl because... she had nothing better to do? Why she is Supergirl then?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I read the solicits and thought Kara was gonna be the mentor/conscience for the new character.

This sounds like it's right up my alley, I'm down.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    She is an derivated character, that is true. But originallity not only comes in different origins, but how you developt a character. There are tons of characters who have shared origins or similarities and others who are shameless copies and they succeed because how they are developted. And man, Supergirl have a problem right now.

In their genesis, Supergirl have little to no motive to have a complicated motivation: she was the cousin of Superman, she was from Krypton, she had to do what she was told to do to be a good girl. (You know what I mean.). She became Supergirl to imitate to Superman. But it was the Silver age and until later times that motivation would not be questioned.

Now, a modern interpretation of SUperman had to be developted and changed to make her work. Most of her origins are keep the same, but there uis an essential difference between her and Superman than never has been developted enough: she lived in Krypton (Argo) and had a life there. She lost that life but a mission it was given to her: take care of her cousin. But when she arrives, she is not needed again. She lost that mission again. So she becameSupergirl because... she had nothing better to do? Why she is Supergirl then?
    “Why be Supergirl?” is definitely something that needs to be explored and elaborated on for sure.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

On the Word Balloon podcast King mentioned that this will be a self contained story and won't really play off what PKJ is doing with Superman and Action.