Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Batman 106 Discussion

Didn’t see a threat yet, but wanted to see what everyone thought. IMO, Tynion and Jorge delivered the best issue of this run yet.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 03-02-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I still feel like Ghost Maker is a fairly thin character, barely more than a simple shonen rival trope,but the tone of the story was solid and I like the plot with the Magistrate so I'm hoping things improve.
    For my money, the Robin back up was the real highlight of the issue. I loved the characterization of Damian, and his interaction with his mother was perfect.

BANNED

Ghost Maker will be dropped when another writer comes in so the best thing to do with the guy is to turn him into a villain/foil that Bruce has to defeat at some point or have him killed off in a memorable way for Bruce to feel sad.

Unsanity Collective is not a name that is gonna last. I will reserve my judgement for the new villain when new issues come out.

The Magistrate? I am not interested in a police state Gotham but its gonna come. I just hope it would not drag on for too long.

Robin back up issue was good to me.

How do I say this, with this issue its almost like I am glad that we went through Joker War. I mean I don't have any love or hate for Joker War, was kind of meh because I felt like I had seen it before with the Joker and did not care for another Gotham takeover after Bane. However, now that we are in this post-Joker War landscape I really like it for some reason, and I think it has to do with the Batfamily. See I already liked Tynion for his Detective Comics run and now I kind of feel where we reached some place similar to that in a way. I also think that Infinite Frontier #0 played into this as well as a bigger more rounded story

Like I'm not a fan of the loner Batman, I like him having Oracle, the batgirls, ghost-maker, Huntress, Tim Drake, Dick, Jason, Harley and etc. all to play around with a bounce off of. Ironically I guess I just had to wait out the setup to get what I wanted out of Batman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Its just sad that Batman comics is now a place to promote other Batfam members who can not carry their own books. Batman doesnt need that many underlings to become popular. Even his most popular underling is not casted in Nolan triology and Reeves movie. In cinematic storytelling, his underlings are disposable.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-02-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Its just sad that Batman comics is now a place to promote other Batfam members who can not carry their own books. Batman doesnt need that many underlings to become popular. Even his most popular underling is not casted in Nolan triology and Reeves movie. In cinematic storytelling, his underlings are disposable.
    ...Batman has had a large supporting cast far longer and more consistently than he hasn't so I'm not sure where your complaint is coming from.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...Batman has had a large supporting cast far longer and more consistently than he hasn't so I'm not sure where your complaint is coming from.
    Yes, since No Man's Land his supporting cast has become larger and larger. New writers just come in to add another supporting character for Batman but all they do is just leeching off from Batman's mythos more than contributing anything significant to his mythos. I would root for other villains to kill off Batman's underlings the same way Joker killed off Jason and crippled Barbara. Its like villains are not allowed to do anything while the hero is getting stronger overtime.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-02-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Yes, since No Man's Land his supporting cast has become larger and larger. New writers just come in to add another supporting character for Batman but all they do is just leeching off from Batman's mythos more than contributing anything significant to his mythos. I would root for other villains to kill off Batman's underlings the same way Joker killed off Jason and crippled Barbara. Its like villains are not allowed to do anything while the hero is getting stronger overtime.
    It was large waay before then...it's not new.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It was large waay before then...it's not new.
    Yeah plus its still not everyone, what about Batman's hunchback assistant Harold and Azrael who I think is still in outer space. I also feel like Bluebird is an agent of Leslie Thompkins now after the punchline one-shot.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm glad that Bruce finally has his own friend who is his own age who has more or less the same worldview as him.

Imagine how different batman comics would be if Ghostface was introduced in the 70s or 80s

Art is nice but Jimenez makes it hard to recognize what people are wearing. All the clothes look painted on especially the batsuit

Magistrate setup already
    Batman is gonna become even more anti police
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 03-02-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Tynion is mostly miss for me, but I have to say that I like how he writes younger generation of Gothamites and their view, stand and image building on constant battlefront they live on.

Damy story turned me off his series. Not my cup of tea.
    Last edited by zvrk; 03-02-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: missed a c

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah plus its still not everyone, what about Batman's hunchback assistant Harold and Azrael who I think is still in outer space. I also feel like Bluebird is an agent of Leslie Thompkins now after the punchline one-shot.
    Harold is like Batman's side-mechanic going by Snyder.

Astonishing Member

I really get the gist of the whole notion ... there's some archetyping going on with everyone from Simon Saint to Nakano to Miracle girl to the Unsanity Collective to bringing Scarecrow in, to Ghost-Maker, to whoever. And yeah by god it really does feel like anime tropes. But I'm actually pretty okay with that whole thematic mise-en-scine. There's a sort of "Taste of Things to Come" / "Prelude to Neo-Gotham" angle being told now, jumping to Future State to show a Potentiality, obvious overt mixing and matching of elements from those Bat/Colony/Dark Kate Kane alt-futures Tynion was teasing back in his Detective run along with Batman Beyond style lend themselves to a cohesive holistic Bat-Future glimpsing (as do Damian 666 vibes if they get to it) and so even the storytelling if it trends toward focusing on Batman interacting with these tropish characters as something of a paper-thin version of himself just bringing out bat-gadgets and dealing in bat-ways with bat-setbacks ... I still think there's ground worth treading in this current status quo - something of an excuse to see how Batman acquits himself to that Anime Tropes setting and getting to watch Jorge Jimenez be the one to bring it to life, utterly reveling in Post-Blade Runner cyberpunkery and overdesign? Yeah I'm into it.

Look, I love stylized Noir real world Batman the best. Old school fire escapes, Darwyn Cooke or Michael Lark or Dave Mazzucchelli or Javier Pulido joints, or the stylized Bruce Timm variations that match them pretty well. Brick walls and all black capes and cowls and shadows. Street lights and urban decay. Beautiful grime. I was born into a world of Eastman & Laird TMNT which itself was born of Frank Miller Daredevil which has the same DNA as Batman Year One. But there's room for that sort of "Let's bring some Tokyo into this" Early Cyberpunk Period stuff to come in and as someone who was advocating Tamaki & Mora's Detective be Power Rangersy, I guess in 2021 it's just that Mood has taken me! Inject some Cyberpunk, some video-gamish Augmented Reality into Gotham.

I would kill for a good perfectly executed Vintage 70s/80s homaging Neo-Noir Batman story sometime in the near future involving some proper levels of detective and mystery stuff. Ironically hoping we might get that out of the new Nightwing run.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I enjoyed it enough to give it an arc. The back-up story does peak my interest in the Damian / Robin solo title a bit.

Fantastic Member

The Main Story was good but it's the back up I really enjoyed.

I love how Talia can always be found in 1% luxury. Even when she's on the run (even way back when she was tracked down by Lex Luthor).

Her critiquing Damian's latest activities as "uninspired."

I love Talia in all her cold-hearted glory.