Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Give me an arguement that Batfam is important. Storywise they dont. In the case of Robin, it was to draw in younger demographics. But Batman stories dont need a Robin as a partner to function well. Batman can have other partners. Heck partners that are not even in the Batfam.
    You need to go back and look at my comments that you replied to [off topic]

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    but what I'm seeing here is you going to a place where it's not the story you want, the setup's not you want, but you buy it anyway and complain that it's not what you want.

If you want a main continuity story with no Batfam because you prefer that essential Batman story, then you're too late. 80 years too late. 40, if we're counting from the time when the family expand to more than Robin and Batgirl. This is how it is right now. Go pick Batman Black and White or Black Label or something, that sounds more like your alley.

But don't come, buy, and complain about something that has been established for literal years, especially since you can see straight from the preview that they do use these characters. This story's not for you, accept it, and move on.
    Im not that too late. I still remember the time when Batgirl was not a mantle that is competed among 3 people. You blatantly ignore the problem. People know the Batfam is bloated. How many partners do Batman really need? And mature ones.

Bigger threat = more teens to be called in. lol

Its such a travesty in storytelling that we can see teens being able to do more crime fighting than the mature adult professional cops in times where a city plunges into chaos.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Previously, On Batman

This was pretty good!

Okay, context. I've been reading Batman for decades. My last run started with the renumbered #1 of the New 52 and ended about two-thirds of the way through the Tom King era. I just gave up after a while and have felt pretty burned out on Batman ever since. This new Infinite Frontier provided a jumping on point, so I got #106 to see what's happening these days.

And I liked it. Tynion IV is a big improvement over King, and the Jimenez art is amazing. The story seems complex with multiple plots and characters. This issue may not be typical if it's meant to be a jumping-on point for new readers, but I liked the TV drama feel where Batman is one of many characters. He's still the star, but the book seems to be about Gotham as much as it's about him. The new status-quo where Bruce Wayne is a only a millionaire is interesting, but I wonder if it'll actually constrain Batman. Will he run out of Batarangs during a fight? It looks like he's forced to depend more on his allies now, and it can't be as easy to come and go from a townhouse in a crowded neighborhood as it was when he lived in a country mansion. The new characters like Ghostmaker are interesting, although I don't know what to make of them yet. This Saint guy is clearly in it with Scarecrow, but the exact connection isn't clear so it's an entertaining mystery.

The art deserves a special mention, because it's really good. I love the way the coloring changes in different scenes to evoke moods. And the character design is excellent. Scarecrow hasn't looked this scary in... well, ever.

Moving on to the backup story, it's not terrible but it doesn't feel necessary either. I'm very skeptical of the need for backup stories in these comics at all. I get that instead it's a money thing for DC, but frankly $4.99 is far too much. At this price point the backup has to be exceptional, not ordinary, to justify itself. Demon or Detective is all right so far. I'm kind of interested in what Damien is up to, but the art needs work. The action scenes in particular didn't feel right. When you've only got eight pages everything has to be clear.

And that's about it. This lapsed reader found a lot to like in the main story of Batman 106 and some interest in the backup. Don't know if I'll be back next month or not. Maybe. That last page with the Scarecrow costume in the background is an interesting hook.