Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suicide Squad #1 Spoilers and Discussion

Welp, its all fun and games for the Suicide Squad until you raid Arkham Asylum when its under attack by a Joker Gas Massacre. So if you did not quite get it from the cover this first issue actually takes place during the Arkham Attack that takes place during Infinite Frontier #0. But hang on, why are the Suicide Squad in Arkham? Well it is because of the other guy on the cover, William Cobb aka Talon. Waller wants him so the Squad is going to go get him, I am assuming because he is an undead killing machine who can take on the Bat-family if necessary, which I assume that plays a lot into Waller's grand scheme.

But while the Talon break out and the Joker Gas are what is physically going on with the field team and takes up the most pages, I would consider the main point to be what Waller is up to. And if I were to give a description of Waller this issue, its that she is done f***ing around. She wants to basically rebuild and redefine the Squad because she is tired of playing the game that has been set since basically Ostrander's run, she is tired of constant squads that end up dying and failing or rebelling. She wants basically her own Justice League and be more proactive then reactive to events. I also feel like this is a Waller that has gotten more fed up since No Justice, that she is tired of big events that are constantly causing damage to the planet earth and that stories like Doomsday Clock and Death Metal have not helped that assumption that she can't hold her own. It is what causes her to pull a move that, honestly you could see coming at some point especially since you have probably seen the big name attached to this team

spoilers:
    Rick Flag opposes her plans thinking she is going to far, so she subdues him and locks him up. And so she is going to replace him with Superboy, Conner Kent, who she also has locked up in Kryptonite chains.
    end of spoilers

I like the first issue but I really got to wait and see how the rest of the first couple issues play out and how they get someone like Conner to play ball.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Oh for the love of, do you know what's not the right way to create a premise for a book?

"Yeah, let's create a new book for this well-known proactive team... except this time we will make them EVEN MORE PROACTIVE!".

Who the hell approved this? How couldn't they have figured out this was a completely redundant idea?

The way how the conflict between Waller and Flag escalates is so abrupt and unnatural that it doesn't surprise me since the same damn thing happened during Thompson's Teen Titans run. This guy just can't write natural conversations or create proper pacing to save his life.

Good art at least but Jesus, DC needs to start hiring better writers.

Pretty much the ONLY Bright Spot of Bendis joining DC was how he brought back Conner and then re-introduced him from his Multiverse Exile......and now THIS.

And what was up with Amanda Waller's Character Design???? I usually never discuss Character Design because of how subjective it really is, but in this case I just have to ask if anyone else felt the same.

I miss Taylors run already, even though it wasn't at all a traditional SS title, that was part of the reason it worked.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Superboy is my favorite comic character, so I'll be following this series with considerable interest. I enjoyed this issue. I'm not that familiar with most of the other characters, this is the first Suicide Squad comic I've ever read, so I'll have to warm up to them and learn more about their dynamics.

Ultimate Member

I'm deeply impressed by this book.

In that, how it misses the point of the Squad itself.

I mean, seriously? Why is the Squad breaking into Arkham? They work for the damn government. If they want a recruit, they can just transfer him.

Also, killing a whole Squad is kinda over the top, even for the Squad.

I honestly don't understand why we're really supposed to care. We know Waller's plan, so there's no mystery there. And Superman looks like a jerk for leaving Connor twist in the wind.

Honestly, this reeks of Nu52. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of synergy and all, but would it have killed them to just have the Squad do Squad things while the movie approaches? Please?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I really liked it.

Started off with a bang. Hopefully it adds in a lot of interesting plot and story but it definitely has the action on point.

The art was really good as well.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I liked it as well.

Looks like they've got a solid creative team.

I'm looking forward to the next issue, it will take a few to see how things unfold.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Welp, its all fun and games for the Suicide Squad until you raid Arkham Asylum when its under attack by a Joker Gas Massacre. So if you did not quite get it from the cover this first issue actually takes place during the Arkham Attack that takes place during Infinite Frontier #0. But hang on, why are the Suicide Squad in Arkham? Well it is because of the other guy on the cover, William Cobb aka Talon. Waller wants him so the Squad is going to go get him, I am assuming because he is an undead killing machine who can take on the Bat-family if necessary, which I assume that plays a lot into Waller's grand scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Superboy is my favorite comic character, so I'll be following this series with considerable interest. I enjoyed this issue. I'm not that familiar with most of the other characters, this is the first Suicide Squad comic I've ever read, so I'll have to warm up to them and learn more about their dynamics.
    Cobb is one of the best Talon and has put Batman and Nightwing through the ringer when fighting one on one. He's also Nightwing's great great grandfather and the one naming his descendants Grayson. He's been trying to recruit Nightwing to The Court, and almost succeeded when Dick lost his memory, but eventually defeated. I didn't read that last one so apparently he got sent to Arkham.

Shrike is Nightwing's enemy from the Chuck Dixon era and his rival when he was Robin. He has unmasked Nightwing but only knew him by his fake name during the time they trained together as kids. He's been around in Rebirth mainly as cameo, like meeting with other villains in The Flash, and hasn't tangled with Nightwing again.

Film Freak is Batman's old enemy from... I think the 70s-or 80s?

I don't know the rest.

It was an interesting start. Wonder how things will develope in next issue.

So which Waller do we think this is? Our Waller or the Earth-3 version? She clearly knows who Flag is, which suggests it’s our version, but...
    Cheers - CL

Ultimate Member

Earth 3, one hopes. Our Waller wouldn't be this dumb

I really liked this issue! Expendable F list villains being sent on a near impossible mission. That’s the Suicide Squad. I have no problem with most of the team dying in the first issue. It’s a palette cleanser after years of big name characters on the roster who you know were going to survive every mission. I’m not a fan of Talon as a character but we’ll see if Thompson can make him interesting. Waller is going more extreme than ever but I guess she did get screwed over pretty bad by the last Squad leader.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Film Freak is Batman's old enemy from... I think the 70s-or 80s?
    Aww... did DC just kill Film Freak? You could do a lot with the character. He's 2 things I love: Movies and comics. Hope I just misunderstood your post.

Astonishing Member

You know, I didn't hate this - but it's a bad sign that it didn't think readers would understand that Talon Of The Court Of Owls saying "Who?" over and over was a bit like an owl saying "hoo!" without someone spelling it out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Aww... did DC just kill Film Freak? You could do a lot with the character. He's 2 things I love: Movies and comics. Hope I just misunderstood your post.
    Eh, next reboot, he'll be fine

I really don't understand why the Squad needed a damn guide, when the government would have full access already