Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Michael Keaton is my favorite live action Batman and I'm thrilled to see him again in the upcoming Flash film, but he is not a perfect translation of the character from the comics just like Kelsey Grammar's Beast.

Almost run of comics you listed as your evidence as to Beast character is post Morrison's run which was in 2000 you're ignoring Beast 1st 36 years of history and concentrating on the last 21 years to fit your narrative which is your usual gameplay cherry picking.
    the goal post has been shifted.

uncanny xmen and xmen 2nd series are pre--Morrsion.

Beast was always the passive character in the original 5. He was the one character that was already looking non human, his big feet, big hands and big legs made him reclusive and uncomfortable. he struggled with the changes of becoming beast and that made him dive deeper into genetic science. he was already the scientist of the 5 than the fighter, the fighter was Cyclops.Angel was the snub, Jean was the girl and Bobby was the ladies man.

Beast wanted to be a footballer but lost that dream when he was exposed as a mutant and he lived with that sadness for a long time. this is before Morrison. Beast went from a Jock to a Scientist

The origins of Beast in xmen evoltuon and xmen tas have addressed this one back story in the comics.

this is not 21 year narrative. its 60 years already told in every story.

and even if I buy your POV, There will be something called charcater devlopment in the post-morrsion era but no need for that because Beast was never just defined as a big blue fighting monster who goofed around all the time. I dont even think this defines any mutant.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-07-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    For craftmanship, I don't see that with X1, A good example would be no other film in the series using the kind of cinematography first class uses or the kind of story telling. the biggest takeaway of First class craftsmanship was it did not need to be as grounded as X1/X2. What is also did was give Mathew Vaughn more spotlight as a director and made him a big fan favourite as a comic book director.
    You're overthinking it; I'm just saying that I think First Class is one of the better-made movies in the series, but there are others I subjectively like better, including a few that are objectively not as good.

Having a conversation here on this forum about comic book directors in general and how if some qualify as real directors beyond their superhero movies, Vaughn is seen as one of the best directors in the genre and this is based of craftsmanship.
    That doesn't make any sense; someone who directs any more is a "real" director.

After First Class, which did beat X1 as a more socially conscious xmen film. He went on to make kick ass 1 and 2, kingsman service and DC almost hired him for Superman after Snyder. usually first class is ranked by his fans and critics in terms of craftsmanship as the best comic film he directed and he has made like 5 of them. all with his own signature style.

I now know a Vaughn film when I see one thanks to his craftmanship. Almost like Nolan or Singer.
    So Matthew Vaughn is considered good at his job. I don't recall that being a point of contention.

I sort of agreed with this, however as I said, for a movie how many characters can you give deep story content like Beast and his cure, when it is not light hearted action comic book comedy?
    Once again, being or not being a "light hearted action comic book comedy" (whatever that means) has no bearing on whether the characters are well-developed (compare Logan and Guardians of the Galaxy, films with very different tones that have well-written characters, if you want an example). Also, if you agree with me r.e. the X-Men movies not utilizing its larger cast that well, why are you quibbling with me offering an example of a movie that had the same situation but was more successful on that point?

I think the only franchise that have many many characters story content beyond paint by number plots and big green screen worth been jealous over was the lord of the ring series and even lord of the rings fans were not satisfied with the characters, now there will be a Lord of the rings TV series, that will correct this shortcomings.
    Funny, I recall that the Lord of the Rings movies were a hit and are still considered modern classics.

this is the only way to make things right with xmen first class
    Guess we'll see what Marvel Studios, who's the one steering the franchise's future, actually has planned for them or not.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Its ok. About the same as Apocalypse for me, its got some very good scenes but overall the plot is a hollow mish-mash and there are too many characters to care about any of them.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its ok. About the same as Apocalypse for me, its got some very good scenes but overall the plot is a hollow mish-mash and there are too many characters to care about any of them.
    Not caring about side heroes who die off is a hallmark of the XCU

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Not caring about side heroes who die off is a hallmark of the XCU
    Yep. And making main characters like Cyclops into side characters.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yep. And making main characters like Cyclops into side characters.
    And characters never ageing or getting cool costumes

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Their relationship is an adapted change that make sense with pushing of them as kind if Malcom/MLK figures and them wanting to make Magneto an antihero more than outright villain. To me it seem like a natural progression that they wanted to do in comic world with Magneto. I mean to this day we can still them pushing it in Krakoa.
    I have no issue with him being an Antihero, I prefer him to teeter the line. Still don't see why taking some epic friendship and reducing it to actually being friends for a very short time is the natural progression? How long did they know each other in that film? Haven't rewatched it in awhile. It's definelty less then a year but without watching it again and looking for clues my memory is making me think it was weeks to maybe a couple months. If someone knows I'd be interested to know.

Ultimate Member

It's hard to tell

Although Magneto really isn't a good comparison to Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I have no issue with him being an Antihero, I prefer him to teeter the line. Still don't see why taking some epic friendship and reducing it to actually being friends for a very short time is the natural progression? How long did they know each other in that film? Haven't rewatched it in awhile. It's definelty less then a year but without watching it again and looking for clues my memory is making me think it was weeks to maybe a couple months. If someone knows I'd be interested to know.
    One of the most clunky things in the 'new' X-Men series of films is the over-usage of "old friend" in the dialogue. When Stewart and McKellen used it, their age helped make it credible that they'd been friends for a long time, and their slightly dramatic stage presence made it sound natural; when McAvoy and Fassbender say it, it always sounds completely unnatural and unearned given the length of time they've known each other, and especially the short period that they were friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    One of the most clunky things in the 'new' X-Men series of films is the over-usage of "old friend" in the dialogue. When Stewart and McKellen used it, their age helped make it credible that they'd been friends for a long time, and their slightly dramatic stage presence made it sound natural; when McAvoy and Fassbender say it, it always sounds completely unnatural and unearned given the length of time they've known each other, and especially the short period that they were friends.
    Especially as Fassbender apparently spent a decade meditating in a basement under the Pentagon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Especially as Fassbender apparently spent a decade meditating in a basement under the Pentagon.
    The dynamic works based on the acting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    it was not long they knew eachother, what bonded them was what they had in common, their dreams of the mutant race, magneto would not have cared if xavier was human, also Xavier saved him to an extent,

This scene sums up the heart of their friendship. xavier is the one who helps him develop his powers, finally magneto knowing the difference of when to use rage and serenity, that would not have happened if not for xavier.' just even ignoring the great use of music score and VFX of this scene. this kind of film, style stands out more beyond the big cgi city battles you see in other films were it leans more on loud noise.

While there is no doubt Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart gave a different power and allure to the dynamic, I think first class was the best to capture why they cannot quit eachother and will always have a friendship despite their drastic different philosophies, that is explored best in the film.
    Last edited by Castle; 03-09-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Ultimate Member

it was not long they knew eachother, what bonded them was what they had in common, their dreams of the mutant race, magneto would not have cared if xavier was human, also Xavier saved him to an extent.
    True, but they didn't really know each other that long to be all "old friend"

It wasn't bad, although there were some odd choices for X-men. For the most part though, it really never felt like an X-men movie. It felt like an Xavier and Magneto movie with some other guys just along for the ride.

I was also really not too fond of how they handled Mystique. In the first few movies, she was this sexy evil badass. There was no trace of that character here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It wasn't bad, although there were some odd choices for X-men. For the most part though, it really never felt like an X-men movie. It felt like an Xavier and Magneto movie with some other guys just along for the ride.

I was also really not too fond of how they handled Mystique. In the first few movies, she was this sexy evil badass. There was no trace of that character here.
    I can't disagree with most of what you're saying, although I never cared for the whole "sexy Mystique" thing in the first trilogy