Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
Well, I feel like we're kind of 0-2 now on America Chavez series, which is unfortunate.
It is indeed.

This series and the last were like exact opposites -- while the last series was all over the place with ideas, this series didn't seem able to come up with any -- case in point: Catalina's fate at the end of the issue. So cliche.

And America should be anything but cliche. Anything but boring. And this series was boring. I don't remember most of what happened; I barely remember the names of characters that appeared.
Still I guess you can't forget the retcon. But even if cliche, at least it was better narrated.

Maybe America is just one of those characters who works best in a team setting, where she can remain mysterious and powerful?
Or maybe she needs a writer who can push up what makes her compelling. Only advice I would give to Marvel is don't insist in America Chavez being written only by latinas writers. If a white straigh dude is capable of give them a good story, let him write the character, dammit.

Still, I hope that we eventually get a series that can showcase what makes her such a compelling character -- a series that can rework what's been done with her into something cohesive and meaningful and usable.
It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, sticks from this series onward.
We will see. What I wonder if the next writer will either discard this or Rivera's series? Which family is better? The Santanas or extradimensional Granma?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
I think they wanted her to be unequivocally a Latina before her MCU debut. Not alien or parallel dimension equivalent to Latina.
But straight Latina. So she could be touted as Marvel’s number 1 Latina superhero.
Even before this mini, you had haters always bark that America is not Latina/Latina. She was from a “lesbian utopian parallel” and doesn’t qualify.
It seems a probable guess. Still, until Dr. Strange, we only can guess.