Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default America Chavez #1

It's so surprising to see a comic book on America Chavez written correctly ... It's not a great comic, it's a bit by the books, but at least we have a solid story, an interesting heroine and real stakes.

I've always liked America Chavez but I was disgusted by Gabby Rivera's run, I think one of the worst things I read at Marvel in my life. It's not perfect, but It's nice to see a professional writer taking charge of the character.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    It's so surprising to see a comic book on America Chavez written correctly ... It's not a great comic, it's a bit by the books, but at least we have a solid story, an interesting heroine and real stakes.

I've always liked America Chavez but I was disgusted by Gabby Rivera's run, I think one of the worst things I read at Marvel in my life. It's not perfect, but It's nice to see a professional writer taking charge of the character.
    I wouldn’t mind this creative team handling either a Earth based Young Avengers in 2021, an new Avengers West Coast, or just a simple Hawkeye & America miniseries, after this one is done.

Rivera set the bar so low, that it was practically impossible to do worse than her. Glad to hear the the new creative team didn't mess up.

It can't be worse than Rivera.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

It was a good first issue. And now America has more connections to Earth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It was a good first issue. And now America has more connections to Earth.
    Yeah, that's what I liked about it. I think being from another Dimension is a little over the top, and needlessly so

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, that's what I liked about it. I think being from another Dimension is a little over the top, and needlessly so
    How so that's legit the foundation of her powerset & motivation as a superhero?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    How so that's legit the foundation of her powerset & motivation as a superhero?
    It still works as her origin with the utopian parallel and her moms, from when she was born until she’s like 8 or so in this book.

This was a fun read. Really enjoyed the art and the coloring. The story is completely different from the last america run which i did enjoy but was more out there and mythical where as this one is more grounded and property ready but so far America still feels like America and thats what matters. This story feels more main stream and because it was as said a little cliche but presented well i'm more than okay with it. Hopefully this isn't an attempt to weaken America to make her more marketable and the power issue is addressed quickly but overall fun and the spider man cameo shows me marvel is serious about America working.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Having not read Rivera's stuff: what is it specifically that pisses everyone off?

Enjoyed this issue, I will be back for the rest of the mini. The last America series I wasn't able to get past issue 1.

While I like the focus on her growing up on earth, I do want to see more of her Utopian Parallel family too... which I suspect the integrated villain has ties to.

This was at least 123% better than Marvel’s previous attempt at an America Chavez Book.
    After reading the first issue I have absolutely no desire to scratch my own eyes out.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Having not read Rivera's stuff: what is it specifically that pisses everyone off?
    In short it was trash. The long version however is America's most popular depiction is YA volume 2 Rivera took that threw practically everything that was established about America away, and made her a completely different person. The pacing was inconsistent, the plot was all over the place & throughout all this clusterfuck it didn't even feel like a book about America Chavez she was practically an OC.

Astonishing Member

I really enjoyed the first issue, and it is great to see an AMERICA solo book where Chavez actually acts and talks like America Chavez. The art was beautiful.

The one big flaw for me was the reference to America meeting Ramone's family. What family, other than her brother (whom America already knows, seeing as he's their teammate)? Ramone and Johnny's mother is dead, and they never knew who their father was. Her mother was supposedly exiled from Wakanda, so it seems unlikely they're in touch with any of their mother's family. It just doesn't fit with what we've been told before about Ramone's background. Apparently America and Alloy both are getting new family members retconned in.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    In short it was trash. The long version however is America's most popular depiction is YA volume 2 Rivera took that threw practically everything that was established about America away, and made her a completely different person. The pacing was inconsistent, the plot was all over the place & throughout all this clusterfuck it didn't even feel like a book about America Chavez she was practically an OC.
    Basically this. In one of her first interviwes, Rivera admitted that she didn't know anything about the character. And it showed that through the series, and she did zero effort to understand the character. Also it has one of the dumbest break up in comic book stories, because Rivera is a bigot.