Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    My post needed a question mark. Her origin story has me interested as a BP fan. I wanna know what her mom did and who the father is.

Which issue of Hawkeye?
    Ramone appeared since issue 1 if I remembe well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Ramone appeared since issue 1 if I remembe well.
    Yeah yeah yeah, Hawkeye Volume 1 Anchor Points.

The connection to BP/Vibranium however does not come up until the final(?) issue of her Hawkeye run, and is followed up in her West Coast Avengers (specific to Ramone, her vibranium connection isn't until (again) the final arc of WCA)

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

The connection to BP/Vibranium however does not come up until the final(?) issue of her Hawkeye run, and is followed up in her West Coast Avengers (specific to Ramone, her vibranium connection isn't until (again) the final arc of WCA)
    I remember some of the WCA explanations. As old as they are, I think their mom would have had to have left during Tchaka or S'yans rule.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It was poorly written, poorly drawn, poorly paced, and poorly edited. Rivera clearly did not know what she was doing and it showed. The dialogue was clunky, and all over the place at times. Writing YA does not translate into writing comics, which is fine but an editor really should have helped her. The first issue was given away for free, I read it and it was atrocious. It was way too focused on style instead of substance, except it wasn't very stylish either.

America's a character with a lot of potential, and that book dropped the ball hard.
    I didn't like the first issue either but some folks chose to threaten Rivera's life over it.

Meanwhile it's good to know the new series is being liked (I don't get my copy until next week).

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Having not read Rivera's stuff: what is it specifically that pisses everyone off?
    4 words: “Holy menstrual cycle, Prodigy!”

I might be paraphrasing.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 03-04-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Close, but not quite. Ramone's brother Johnny is revealed to have powers in the final issue of HAWKEYE. The vibranium part of it doesn't come up until WEST COAST AVENGERS when we learn Johnny's piercings are made out of it. Ramone having powers, and the fact that their mother was a Dora Milaje, gets revealed in WEST COAST AVENGERS #9.

Who their father is has never been revealed; same with the circumstances behind their mother's departure from Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Close, but not quite. Ramone's brother Johnny is revealed to have powers in the final issue of HAWKEYE. The vibranium part of it doesn't come up until WEST COAST AVENGERS when we learn Johnny's piercings are made out of it. Ramone having powers, and the fact that their mother was a Dora Milaje, gets revealed in WEST COAST AVENGERS #9.

Who their father is has never been revealed; same with the circumstances behind their mother's departure from Wakanda.
    It was hinited that he is an Atlantean.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    It was hinited that he is an Atlantean.
    Possibly. All it said was that there was "something about water" related to their father. Atlantean IS a logical guess, but its not the only option. There are at least two other humanoid undersea races on 616 Earth, plus various super-humans, mutants and Inhumans with water-related powers or mutations, etc. Without more info its hard to say. But given that there is established history between Wakanda and Atlantis, it is certainly a reasonable possibility.

BANNED

So I actually really enjoyed this book, which is surprising since a lot of the stuff I've read involving America before just gave me the impression she was a boring character and I couldn't understand the hype I always saw for her.
    But then again I suppose I wasn't really being fair since I primarily read her in things Ewing wrote and the guy's dull writing puts me to sleep every time, it's the same problem I have with Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau, give them to a writer who doesn't come off as a smug hipster for using C-Listers

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    4 words: “Holy menstrual cycle, Prodigy!”

I might be paraphrasing.
    Really? That was the only redeemable thing from that series.
    I hope she'll get to say it to Nighthawk at some point.

The really cringe thing was Kate narrating how she was "litterally intrigued and in awe" of America and her GF.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    So I actually really enjoyed this book, which is surprising since a lot of the stuff I've read involving America before just gave me the impression she was a boring character and I couldn't understand the hype I always saw for her.
    But then again I suppose I wasn't really being fair since I primarily read her in things Ewing wrote and the guy's dull writing puts me to sleep every time, it's the same problem I have with Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau, give them to a writer who doesn't come off as a smug hipster for using C-Listers
    In this day and age when someone calls a writer dull what I hear is "Someone whose dialogue doesn't come off as an overkill wannabe Whedon". By the way does anyone find it weird/sad given what we know about Whedon now that so many top women comic creators (not the current writer) write in his voice?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-06-2021 at 07:34 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

That's not even what I said

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    That's not even what I said
    My bad, 'Runner
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Possibly. All it said was that there was "something about water" related to their father. Atlantean IS a logical guess, but its not the only option. There are at least two other humanoid undersea races on 616 Earth, plus various super-humans, mutants and Inhumans with water-related powers or mutations, etc. Without more info its hard to say. But given that there is established history between Wakanda and Atlantis, it is certainly a reasonable possibility.
    Which two may I ask? Lemurians and Lemurian Deviants?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Which two may I ask? Lemurians and Lemurian Deviants?
    I was thinking Lemurians and Sirenas, although admittedly the Sirenas are only half-humanoid...they are mermaid-like.