Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Rivera is a bigot.

Please explain.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Please explain.
    Rivera has openly expressed in her tweets that people of color should be ashamed of themselves for dating white people and are doing it "to brag about whiteness" (it's one example of some of her tweets). In her first issue of America, she made America act OuC and break up with Lisa because she wasn't ready to move on to an alternate dimension, where the college was. A stupid reason, because thanks to her powers America could easily have a distant relationship (probably the real reason is because Lisa is a white woman).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Rivera has openly expressed in her tweets that people of color should be ashamed of themselves for dating white people and are doing it "to brag about whiteness" (it's one example of some of her tweets). In her first issue of America, she made America act OuC and break up with Lisa because she wasn't ready to move on to an alternate dimension, where the college was. A stupid reason, because thanks to her powers America could easily have a distant relationship (probably the real reason is because Lisa is a white woman).
    Okay, got it.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

why are people bashing the previous series? (non-snark only...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I really enjoyed the first issue, and it is great to see an AMERICA solo book where Chavez actually acts and talks like America Chavez. The art was beautiful.

The one big flaw for me was the reference to America meeting Ramone's family. What family, other than her brother (whom America already knows, seeing as he's their teammate)? Ramone and Johnny's mother is dead, and they never knew who their father was. Her mother was supposedly exiled from Wakanda, so it seems unlikely they're in touch with any of their mother's family. It just doesn't fit with what we've been told before about Ramone's background. Apparently America and Alloy both are getting new family members retconned in.
    The Ramone family was something I was curious about as well. Their mom died when they were teenagers maybe they had to do a few years in foster care?

Its interesting seeing Ramone's aesthetic evolution from her inception in Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye into today's cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why are people bashing the previous series? (non-snark only...)
    It was poorly written, poorly drawn, poorly paced, and poorly edited. Rivera clearly did not know what she was doing and it showed. The dialogue was clunky, and all over the place at times. Writing YA does not translate into writing comics, which is fine but an editor really should have helped her. The first issue was given away for free, I read it and it was atrocious. It was way too focused on style instead of substance, except it wasn't very stylish either.

America's a character with a lot of potential, and that book dropped the ball hard.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Prodigy was also in the Riviera book and he was nowhere near as well written he was in Young Avengers 2 or currently in X-Factor.

Also there was random Twitter speak like "What the holy mensuration".
    "Cable was right!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I pressed the wrong button.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Also there was random Twitter speak like "What the holy mensuration".
    The cringe of that line, so horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Its interesting seeing Ramone's aesthetic evolution from her inception in Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye into today's cameo.
    She was introduced in Hawkeye and not West Coast Avengers.

d4redevils

I really enjoyed this first issue!! It's really great that we will get to learn more about America's adoptive family and how the Puerto Rican culture she was raised into influences her (especially considering in her last solo run it just seemed as if she had influences from several latine communities). I also cannot wait to see how her relationship with Ramone progresses!

Finally I was able to read the first issue and I liked it. Seems that the writer has thrown away everything done by Rivera, which is a good thing.

Can't wait to see more and I wonder what is happening to her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    She was introduced in Hawkeye and not West Coast Avengers.
    That is....what I said?

That is....what I said?
    My post needed a question mark. Her origin story has me interested as a BP fan. I wanna know what her mom did and who the father is.

Which issue of Hawkeye?