Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    So this means that America Chavez no longer has two "biological" mommies, right?
    I suppose. But I don't see why that's relevant. She still has two moms, regardless of how she was conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    You have a point there, in fact, there is no evidence than this series is asked to match the origin of America in the MCU and is mostly speculation.
    Your example of Captain Marvel is very good, but you are forgetting a pivotal difference with the case of Captain Marvel: Kevin Feige.

Captain Marvel was released in february of 2019 and Feige became the überboss of Marvel (Not only movies, but animation, tv, series, and comics) in October 2019. If you remember before that there was a powerplay between Marvel Entertaiment (Comics, TV, series, animation) and Marvel Studios, under the control of Feige and the first win for Feige was to gain independence for Marvel Studios from Marvel Entertaiment in 2015 becoming its own entity. A lot of proyects where changed (cancelling the Inhumans movie for example) and the next movie of Marvel Studios, Dr. Strange (2016), started to use images from the movies for its opening scene and minimizing the comic's images. Feige is a man who looks in the details.

Now Feige controls everything and even if comics can be a small section of his designs of global domination, I think he maybe had improved the comunication between the different departaments. So if he had that degree of control and observation to the details, he can be asked for such change or than there is coherence n the different versions of the characters.

But until Dr. Strange: MoM debuts, we will know nothing for sure, even if there is a "script leaking".

Meanwhile, enjoy the retcon.
    While it is known that Feige was made CCO of the comics division, it is yet to be seen how much he actually works alongside them. We literally never got any follow-up report about his alleged work on the comics side. No one who works in the comics has indicated they've met with him in any way, either. We have seen evidence of Feige being hands on with television (even on the animated side), but not comics. He never talks about it either, when it's no secret. It makes me wonder if his CCO title in the comics division is just a formality.

Could be than Feige title on comics division is just a formality, but even so, I think than the connection s between division had made stronger.

We could check what is happenign with the Eternal as example. The Eternals are having several changes to make them match to their movie versions. There could be something in that corner. I haven't follow the changes so closely, but it seems something has been done, like race and gender changes to make them match their MCU actors.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Okay, can someone clarify something for me?

What disease is it that America's supposed to have? It's labeled Edge's Syndrome, but all I can find on google is this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meige%27s_syndrome). Which, doesn't sound fun, but isn't lethal either. Doesn't seem worth bathing one's kid in super energy, either.

Astonishing Member

The addition of the Santanas aside, this was not great mini

Now that the Mini is over, I can judge it as a complete work... And I hated it.

Hated the change to her origin, the depowering, basically everything.

I'm going to pretend this never happened unless a future story means I absolutely have to acknowledge it.

This was worse than her first solo!! Tragic this writer was so fixed on 1 thing making America a basic latina girl she did not care at all what happens in the in-between as long as she gets to that point, changed everything about the character answered none of the lingering questions!! We still don't know if the Grandma was just a fever dream, no conclusive explanation on how her supposed Utopian Parallel has any connection to Billy's Demiurge or where she even got information from, broke up her & Ramone for no fucking reason at all! And now she's left mostly depowered! This solo took everything about America that made her unique and tossed it out the window just so she can be a basic ass Latina girl from the Bronx what the actual ****. I will ignore this solo someone needs to fix it or just forget about it entirely this makes no sense at all America flopped yet again as a solo.

Ultimate Member

I'm still confused why the writer gave America 'Edges Disease' and treats it as if it were fatal. Guess America is gonna be coughing a lot, and nose bleeds in the future

I feel like this book could have done what it wanted in a good way instead of reducing America's character. Like, give her the New York family and make her care about them again without retconning her biological family too.

I'm already betting a lot of money after Strange 2, this book will get retconned again.

Unless this was a MCU mandated thing, they will undo a lot of this horsecrap.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I'm already betting a lot of money after Strange 2, this book will get retconned again.

Unless this was a MCU mandated thing, they will undo a lot of this horsecrap.
    They didn’t undo Carol being retconned in Life of Captain Marvel despite the movie definitely not making Carol a hybrid, I would say that the next writer will be lumbered with reconciling things than outright dropping them

The fact that Marvel decided that utterly retconning & depowering America and killing off Strange & Wanda in Ada Vance of DS2 rather indicates that Marvel might just be outright contrary to the MCU going forward

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    They didn’t undo Carol being retconned in Life of Captain Marvel despite the movie definitely not making Carol a hybrid, I would say that the next writer will be lumbered with reconciling things than outright dropping them

The fact that Marvel decided that utterly retconning & depowering America and killing off Strange & Wanda in Ada Vance of DS2 rather indicates that Marvel might just be outright contrary to the MCU going forward
    So they want synergy in some places but not in the places that are for the Future Members, pick a side CB.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I feel like this book could have done what it wanted in a good way instead of reducing America's character. Like, give her the New York family and make her care about them again without retconning her biological family too.
    I think they wanted her to be unequivocally a Latina before her MCU debut. Not alien or parallel dimension equivalent to Latina.
    But straight Latina. So she could be touted as Marvel’s number 1 Latina superhero.

Even before this mini, you had haters always bark that America is not Latina/Latina. She was from a “lesbian utopian parallel” and doesn’t qualify.

Well, I feel like we're kind of 0-2 now on America Chavez series, which is unfortunate.

This series and the last were like exact opposites -- while the last series was all over the place with ideas, this series didn't seem able to come up with any -- case in point: Catalina's fate at the end of the issue. So cliche.

And America should be anything but cliche. Anything but boring. And this series was boring. I don't remember most of what happened; I barely remember the names of characters that appeared.

Maybe America is just one of those characters who works best in a team setting, where she can remain mysterious and powerful?

Still, I hope that we eventually get a series that can showcase what makes her such a compelling character -- a series that can rework what's been done with her into something cohesive and meaningful and usable.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, sticks from this series onward.

-Pav, who did like the idea of Catalina...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

I hate this.

I hate this substantially more than the last one.

THAT IS ASTOUNDING

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Okay, can someone clarify something for me?

What disease is it that America's supposed to have? It's labeled Edge's Syndrome, but all I can find on google is this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meige%27s_syndrome). Which, doesn't sound fun, but isn't lethal either. Doesn't seem worth bathing one's kid in super energy, either.
    I think it supposed to be a fictional disease. One you can cure only with extradimesional energy.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin