Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thunder Force trailer starring Melissa McCarthy, Olivia Spencer

Thunder Force(2021)

In a world where supervillains are commonplace, two estranged childhood best friends reunite after one devises a treatment that gives them powers to protect their city.
    Melissa McCarthy, Olivia Spencer, Jason Bateman
    April 9, 2021.

Just a small reminder that Marvel and DC aren't only ones making superhero movies we are in like Golden age Superhero content because the genre is so popular people are taking different spins at the genre. This is pretty amazing two 50 year old plus-size women starring in their own superhero movie.

And it doesn't look very good....

When I saw the thread title I thought this:

Alas.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

netflix's answer to falcon and winter soldier

Comedy/parody is always straddling a fine line. And it seems even harder to get right for whatever reason in this genre in this time without looking like ho-hum crap. I guess it was easier before the current MCU saturated superhero craze. I grew up loving Blankman and Meteor Man. But things felt less formulaic then? The stories worked and they were just good fun films in their own right (or at least I thought - need to re-watch these movies now). Whenever you go into satire or parody you need to bring your A game.

It doesn't look good or interesting for me personally. But hopefully people like it or whatever. Never want a film to be bad or flop. But this looks...eh.

Edit: Actually, thinking about the reason why it doesn't look good to me...might just be my tiredness of Melissa McCarthy coloring my vision...the cgi and actual film type stuff seems polished...
    Last edited by Vakanai; 03-03-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

It doesn't look good or interesting for me personally. But hopefully people like it or whatever. Never want a film to be bad or flop. But this looks...eh.

Edit: Actually, thinking about the reason why it doesn't look good to me...might just be my tiredness of Melissa McCarthy coloring my vision...the cgi and actual film type stuff seems polished...
    I doubt you are the intended demographic for this movie, wait let me rephrase that you are the target demographic but you aren't the primary demographic. It is cool that they can make movies for a specific audience without caring how does with another audience, Also in the past, a movie like this would have only been made if the second star was a model or very attractive actress to bring in the male audience.

Yeah it is fine not be interested in this but as you mention the quality of the cgi and costume is not bad and that is good for things outside of the big 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I doubt you are the intended demographic for this movie, wait let me rephrase that you are the target demographic but you aren't the primary demographic. It is cool that they can make movies for a specific audience without caring how does with another audience, Also in the past, a movie like this would have only been made if the second star was a model or very attractive actress to bring in the male audience.

Yeah it is fine not be interested in this but as you mention the quality of the cgi and costume is not bad and that is good for things outside of the big 2.
    It's not that I need the females in my movies to all be attractive - I just don't find the two leads that funny, and McCarthy feels overrated there. Kind of like how I feel about Adam Sandler - I still like some of what he's done, but it'd take something special to interest me in one of his movies now-a-days...

But yeah, the quality of the effects and costumes and all is good. And with Sony sharing Spidey and Fox under Disney, it's nice to see Netflix entering the space and producing some superhero content that doesn't try to ape the MCU. Not bashing the MCU, I just don't want it and it's very specific tone to be all that's available, so the more other studios making superhero movies, the better.

I watched Netflix's Project Power some days ago, that was decent.

It's not that I need the females in my movies to all be attractive - I just don't find the two leads that funny, and McCarthy feels overrated there. Kind of like how I feel about Adam Sandler - I still like some of what he's done, but it'd take something special to interest me in one of his movies now-a-days...

But yeah, the quality of the effects and costumes and all is good. And with Sony sharing Spidey and Fox under Disney, it's nice to see Netflix entering the space and producing some superhero content that doesn't try to ape the MCU. Not bashing the MCU, I just don't want it and it's very specific tone to be all that's available, so the more other studios making superhero movies, the better.

I watched Netflix's Project Power some days ago, that was decent.
    Netflix has deal with Mark Millar so a bunch of his stuff is being made they had a series order for "Magic Order" which got canceled but Supercrooks, Prodigy are still being made with later being very good. (Just checked Reborn, Huck, Empress, and America Jesus are also getting made too.) Jupiter's Legacy is closest one and it is coming out May 7. Valiant is suppose to have some stuff coming as well Harbringers and Shadowman.

I guess it was easier before the current MCU saturated superhero craze.
    This is coming from a life long comic/superhero fan, but I am truly tired and feel we need a break.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This is coming from a life long comic/superhero fan, but I am truly tired and feel we need a break.
    Who is "We"? If "you" are tired watching superhero movies don't watch all of the superhero movies. Just like you don't have to buy every comic book you don't have watch every movie. I have skipped some movies completely, A lot of movies are wait until they are on streaming or network tv instead of seeing them in the movies. They are superhero shows like couple of from the CW which I am season behind in viewing them. They are dozen of indie movies I haven't gotten around to watching them because I wasn't in the mood.

As with food a lot of choices just means you can pick your favorite choices not that you have eat every piece food until you are full and sick
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-04-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    You know it's got a bit out-of-hand when you're even getting tired of the post-modern genre deconstructions.

Obv, supers have been the dominant genre of comics for decades now, but arguably it took the 90s crash and 00s indie boom challenging that hegemony for it to really cross over to movies.

Did I miss another geekdom vote about supers being over and done with?

Man ... I'm going to have to hand in my card now ... Where do I do that?

Anyway, this looks stupid but the kind where it is so bad it turns the corner. Might check it out ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yo, Melissa McCarthy is getting real close to being too old to be falling down all the time. Her funniest movie to me by far was The Heat, that **** was hilarious. Her and Jason Bateman were good in Identify Thief. Soft pass for me.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I watch this over the weekend, I am not the target audience, I saw this number 1 trending on Netflix so they are clearly people watching it. This is a bad movie, This is among one of the worse movies I have watched in a long time. This movie is not funny, This movie is not a good fun superhero story. Avoid this movie like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I watch this over the weekend, I am not the target audience, I saw this number 1 trending on Netflix so they are clearly people watching it. This is a bad movie, This is among one of the worse movies I have watched in a long time. This movie is not funny, This movie is not a good fun superhero story. Avoid this movie like the plague.
    No one is the target audience for this it's not horrible but it's not good either it's bad as a super hero movie and it's bad as a comedy I'd rather watch super hero movie.