Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gorilla City thoughts and questions

I have to acknowledge I prefer the gorillas being real gorillas that were changed via extraterrestrial origin, I do wonder about population numbers. Was it originally 19th century? How widespread was the effect? Because if it was just one troop, then the population would still be way to small for a city.

Do we have any idea how canonically big the city is?

Gorillas, of course, do not form pairs/mates IRL - I mean, males aren't monogamous. I know they did in silver age comics, as Grodd was hot for Solovar's wife, if I recall correctly. Did we ever see more polygamous relationships later?

Also, do we know how long the gorillas of Gorilla City live?

Do we know anything about their education system, what age children leave home, etc.?

What about agriculture or foods eaten?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-03-2021 at 07:01 PM.

The biggest question is how are they the most technologically advanced city on Earth?

Any time when Darkseid or whoever invades, where are the Gorillas fighting back? You think they would use some of the "advanced" technology to fight back. They never show up in event books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The biggest question is how are they the most technologically advanced city on Earth?

Any time when Darkseid or whoever invades, where are the Gorillas fighting back? You think they would use some of the "advanced" technology to fight back. They never show up in event books.
    They don't seem to number more than a few thousand, and are surrounded on a planet that would likely try to take their tech. I'd stay hidden too, and let the heroes deal with it

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

They're super-intelligent. They know those dull-witted humans have some especially dumb super-humans that'll throw themselves at the menace d'jour. So, they hang back, and things have never gotten serious enough to require intervention since CoIE.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

This seems like a very interesting thread--alas, I'm pretty ignorant about the city and denizens of Gorilla City, but I really enjoy the occasional gorilla story that appears, or gorilla who guest stars, so will be following here to learn ever more.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I love these world-building threads.

Retired

I'm not up on all the latest retcons--are the gorillas in Gorilla City not real gorillas?

One of the things I find interesting, reading the anthology titles from the 1950s, is how many of the ideas in those comics later made it into the super-hero comics in the 1960s. This is quite true with the Julius Schwartz edited STRANGE ADVENTURES and MYSTERY IN SPACE--and John Broome was a regular contributor to both. There's also TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, MY GREATEST ADVENTURE, HOUSE OF MYSTERY and HOUSE OF SECRETS all from editor Jack Schiff--the Batman editor.

The idea of apes becoming super-intelligent and forming their own society occurs in several stories from that period. So, I imagine, when Schwartz and Broome sat down to plot some Flash stories, they just naturally used what they'd already developed regarding advanced gorillas for Gorilla Grodd and Gorilla City.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not up on all the latest retcons--are the gorillas in Gorilla City not real gorillas?

One of the things I find interesting, reading the anthology titles from the 1950s, is how many of the ideas in those comics later made it into the super-hero comics in the 1960s. This is quite true with the Julius Schwartz edited STRANGE ADVENTURES and MYSTERY IN SPACE--and John Broome was a regular contributor to both. There's also TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, MY GREATEST ADVENTURE, HOUSE OF MYSTERY and HOUSE OF SECRETS all from editor Jack Schiff--the Batman editor.

The idea of apes becoming super-intelligent and forming their own society occurs in several stories from that period. So, I imagine, when Schwartz and Broome sat down to plot some Flash stories, they just naturally used what they'd already developed regarding advanced gorillas for Gorilla Grodd and Gorilla City.
    That -is- pretty cool.
    Marvel did that sort of thing too, like Ant Man being developed from a Tales to Astonish story, “The Man in The Anthill”; Groot also debuted in that book, as an alien invader looking to kidnap humans. And of course the whole Ben and May Parker taking care of a mermaid in Strange Tales.

Back on topic though, is Sam Simeon of Angel & The Ape still a citizen of Gorilla City? I always thought that was an inventive way of making the A&A stories canon w. the greater DCU.

I would love to see more and have new inventive stories where the lives and society is explored.

I think the city/cities are probably large but in the past we only got to see a little.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That -is- pretty cool.
    Marvel did that sort of thing too, like Ant Man being developed from a Tales to Astonish story, “The Man in The Anthill”; Groot also debuted in that book, as an alien invader looking to kidnap humans. And of course the whole Ben and May Parker taking care of a mermaid in Strange Tales.
    You can find almost everything that Ditko did in Spider-Man and Dr. Strange in 1950s era Marvel sci-fi and horror stories.

To topic, I always wished that DC had let Gorilla City's inhabitants be a result of parallel evolution. I seem to recall they were the result of radiation from a meteor or some such?

Marvel has Wakanda, DC has Gorilla City Yeah it’s easy to see why DC doesn’t really do much with Gorilla City anymore seeing as the whole premise is problematic, unless of course they introduce another highly advanced African nation to counteract Gorilla City

Retired

I must be obtuse. What's problematic?

I must be obtuse. What's problematic?
    That it’s the most advanced civilization in Africa

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

JLA Annual 3 and Swamp Thing Annual 3 are terrific comics set in Gorilla City

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I did like the Geoff Johns' take on Grodd.
    Leaning more into the savage side of the gorilla psyche.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.