Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Britannia spoilers:
    is killed in issue 1. Maybe that was a mandate, that she couldn't survive the series? She's basically Wonder Woman without the lasso after all.
    end of spoilers
    I think that spoilers:
    Britannia's death was something planned by the writer in the first place, even when the Union was originally planned as a Empire's tie-in.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    There is Al Ewing's Guardian book you would like to check out.
    Al Ewings GOTG is absolute trash and the art is very ordinary, the title is getting a slight reboot with issue# 13 festuring new characters etc but it is very ordinary to say the least.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

The artwork in this book is great as is the writing
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

What makes this comic work is that it's just a good comic. It's a part of a continuing story but each issue stands on its own. Remember that? It's not decompressed. It follows the rule of "show don't tell" so it doesn't pull you out of the story to waste pages (hello X-Books!) on boring info dumps. It's not making characters you like job to the new guys to prove how awesome they are. It's creating NEW VILLAINS. I repeat, it's creating new villains and they are actually interesting. Read. This. Book.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Makes a nice change to have a book written from a British perspective too. Even other British writers like Al Ewing don't do that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Late to the party, Sunday Mirror? This article really should've appeared before issue 1, not after issue 4.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-gets-23890002
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I really enjoy Paul Grist's comics, but have little interest these days in most Marvels, let alone "events" like King in Black, so passed on this. Will look into it, although I am also tired of short-run series. But I DO really enjoy Paul Grist's comics--!
    Last edited by matt levin; 04-17-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

The Union is interesting but I think after four issues they could be developed more. There's one more issue and we know next to nothing about any of these new characters other than Britannia and the Choir, and even that's marginal.

Although, I do enjoy Doc Croc's team (even if he's not so interesting) and I was kinda hoping the Keep Guard would actually multiply.

Also, given that he was the one missing from the 30 year flashback, does anyone else think Darwin is a grown up Sponge?

Ultimate Member

So that's done, and it was a fun arc.

I'm left curious about all sorts of stuff, like Snakes true nature (and what his funky speech bubbles are supposed to represent, we can assume he 'sounds different', but how do others hear his voice?), and now the nature of Lady Shimmering Lights, who seems, at a guess, to actually *be* those shimmery lights (perhaps a will o wisp type entity?) animating a department store mannequin of a woman.

There's plenty of stuff to mine for a later series with these characters, if there's ever an audience for it, and the artist is amazing, so hopefully she finds regular work somewhere else!

It was a good miniseries and I enjoyed it. Hope to see more of these characters in the future.

spoilers:
    So Britannia's soul hid inside Union Jack... I wonder if she'll be able to reform her body? Everyone else outside the team still thinks she's dead.
    end of spoilers

I want to believe that Craig the Yorkie is still alive and will move in with the team when they get back together. I feel like this title needed one more issue to properly wrap things up.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-08-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I really think this books is crap.

*see a cute corgi that can talk*

10/10 great book, want ore.

Now im serious, I realy want to see more of them and maybe get britannia back to life. Andrea di vito art is good, want to see more of him on marvel

Finally got to read this in trade. A good read. Some of the best I've read from Marvel in quite a while. Andrea diVito's art, of course, is as top-notch and as exciting as always. I just think that they could have used a bit more of established British characters in the mix. I'd be up to seeing more.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I read the trade a few weeks back. Thought it was decent, middling would be how I'd describe it. I don't think Brittania is really dead(99% of characters rarely are). I think if they had gotten another more immediate mini or an ongoing we would've seen her return. It feels the set up is already there.
    I rarely see my name used for any comic character but here it is for a dog! haha
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime