Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Union is the best team comic Marvel is putting out.

Yeah, I said it.

Paul Grist's writing is top notch and actually manages to surprise you in a good way. In the last issue alone a shapeshifter turned into a gorilla and attempted to rip a man in half but couldn't because the man was not a man but a bunch of snakes posing as a man. Plus new characters that are actually interesting like Bulldog and The Sponge.

Andrea Di Vito's interior art is actually better than the cover art. Seriously, you don't need cover artist for this. I almost didn't want to point this out because there is nothing Marvel hates more than having a great artist do a long run on a book. Andrea's art is reminiscent of prime Mark Bagley (when he was on Thunderbolts) and is a joy to see.

Buy this book, and if you have any cash left over find a copy of Taskmaster at the local comic shop. Take it up to the register. Ask to see the OWNER of the store then roll it up and hit the owner and say "STOP ORDERING THIS, IT'S UTTER DRECK!"
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It’s pretty good, yeah.

I like it, but it isnt the best team comic from Marvel.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm really enjoying it also. I'm surprised it is getting so little support here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I like it, but it isnt the best team comic from Marvel.
    I'm simply overwhelmed by the number of X-books, and outside of them, what other teams are there? Aaron's Avengers is unreadable. Slott's FF is boring. Champions is a teen book that I've no interest in.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

who are all the team members?

Astonishing Member

sorry to hear they are pulling the plug. Union Jack has always been a favorite character of mine I was hoping the book could at least last a few years to get a couple of good arcs in. Marvel gave that book too quick of a hook. I like the book but for me Hellions is the best team book put out by Marvel right now.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    sorry to hear they are pulling the plug. Union Jack has always been a favorite character of mine I was hoping the book could at least last a few years to get a couple of good arcs in. Marvel gave that book too quick of a hook. I like the book but for me Hellions is the best team book put out by Marvel right now.
    It wasn't cancelled. It was always supposed to be a mini-series. Was hoping it would be popular enough we'd get another mini-series, but I'm not sure that's the case.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who are all the team members?
    They are all new, except Union Jack, I believe.

Britania, Kelpie, Choir, Snakes, and now Bulldog.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It wasn't cancelled. It was always supposed to be a mini-series. Was hoping it would be popular enough we'd get another mini-series, but I'm not sure that's the case.
    Oh I figured it might be a mini but 5 issues? I was thinking at least 6 and hoped for 12, maybe cancelled was the wrong word ended quicker than expected. What story can you tell when you are tied into a crossover that doesn't have much to do with your first arc, in only 5 issues.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Andrea Di Vito's interior art is actually better than the cover art. Seriously, you don't need cover artist for this. I almost didn't want to point this out because there is nothing Marvel hates more than having a great artist do a long run on a book. Andrea's art is reminiscent of prime Mark Bagley (when he was on Thunderbolts) and is a joy to see.
    Yes! There's such a ridiculous attention to detail. Union Jack has red swollen knuckles a couple of days after a fistfight, and a scar in his hairline that serves no artistic function, since it's not one of those symmetrical facial scars that characters get inexplicably and resemble tiger stripes or tattoos more than actual scars that people would have.

And the story is interesting. Each one of the new characters has some mysteries to unlock, which just adds to the Thunderbolts vibe. How did The Choir get her modifications? What even is Kelpie? What the hell is Snakes?!

New faces, and new characters, including now Craig, who just might be the most fun character I've seen since Cosmo, over in Guardians of the Galaxy. Bulldog and Craig need to become bitter rivals. Or perhaps drinking buddies. Optimally, both! I kind of love how Bulldog is basically an angrier taller Puck, and so seemingly set up to be the mid-season 'one of them will surely die!' sacrifice. He's just interesting enough that I'm not rooting for him to die, and unlikable enough that I'm not exactly gonna be heartbroken when his story ends. (Then again the writer could be pulling a Whedon and foreshadowing that he's going to die, like Hawkeye in Age of Ultron, only to bait-and-switch at the last minute...)

This book has two things going for it, for me. Union Jack and Andrea DeVito. It has, IMHO, a couple of things I don't like also, but I guess the good trumps the bad. I will check this out in the TPB.

Peace

Spectacular Member

Like the references like how PM was painting cardboard buses in last weeks issue

Mighty Member

I'm simply overwhelmed by the number of X-books, and outside of them, what other teams are there? Aaron's Avengers is unreadable. Slott's FF is boring. Champions is a teen book that I've no interest in.
    There is Al Ewing's Guardian book you would like to check out.

It would be great if this book got another series and they could free Captain Britain (Brian Braddock, the real one) from the clutches of the X-Office and have him join the team.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

They are all new, except Union Jack, I believe.

Britania, Kelpie, Choir, Snakes, and now Bulldog.
    Britannia spoilers:
    is killed in issue 1. Maybe that was a mandate, that she couldn't survive the series? She's basically Wonder Woman without the lasso after all.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman