Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If fortune smiles, Barry Allen would be lost until 2070.
    Wow that sounds lame.
    Why people feel the need to knock down characters just to lift others up I'll never understand.

Retired

For me, they had the obvious solution all along right in front of them. Barry--the Flash in the 31st century/Wally--the Flash in the 21st century.

Barry settles down with Iris in her home time of the future, they raise their children and grandchildren--and the Flash is the hero of that age. This gives an opening for the Legion of Super-Heroes to build an audience. And Barry can always time travel once a year for a crossover in the present.

Meanwhile, Wally is the Flash in the present.

The problem is that they made Wally more and more like Barry--married with children. And then they made Barry more and more like Wally. So, even with the time difference, there's not enough to distinguish the two characters, because they morphed into each other.

Reading Grant Morrison's THE GREEN LANTERN SEASON TWO, I find it odd that Hal doesn't feel at home on Earth and would rather wander the stars. I always thought he was the Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814 who had the most connections to the Earth--with his wide circle of friends and family--and one of the other Lanterns would be more likely to choose the cosmos over their homeworld.

And now it seems like they are doing the same thing with Barry as the rootless vagabond who wanders the multiverse, just a rolling stone, wherever he lays his hat is his home.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    Wow that sounds lame.
    Why people feel the need to knock down characters just to lift others up I'll never understand.
    That's a very good question for Dan Didio, Barry's #1 fan who basically went and sabotaged Wally West just to undo the events of COIE and make Barry the Flash again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not on topic, but this image is such a glaring example of what I find wrong with modern comic book panels that I have to call it out. Overly embellished backgrounds and colour effects that distract from the main image and add nothing to the story telling--maybe in hopes that you don't see what's wrong with one of the main figures in the foreground. Now if this was Sergio Aragones, I'd be fine with it, but the artist here is doing a style more grounded in reality, yet Barry's torso is so Elongated, I would suspect he's Ralph Dibny. And it can't be foreshortening (a la Jack Kirby and Mike Grell), because then the legs would be longer and the torso would be shorter. There's a huge expanse between his chest and his groin. Never mind that he's also twelve heads high. Ah, but look at all the pretty colours--you know you're getting your money's worth because there's so many colourful details.
    Love to hear someone else mention measuring by heads.
    Safe to say you’re not a Liefeld fan?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That's a very good question for Dan Didio, Barry's #1 fan who basically went and sabotaged Wally West just to undo the events of COIE and make Barry the Flash again.
    That story has been told and told again ad infinitum, and everyone knows it by heart by now. This thread was started in the spirit of celebrating a new arrangement that does justice to fans of both Barry and Wally, and STILL people somehow can't just celebrate the fact that everybody finally wins and just has to air old grievances.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 03-04-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That story has been told and told again ad infinitum, and everyone knows it by heart by now. This thread was started in celebrating a new arrangement that does justice to fans of both Barry and Wally, and STILL people somehow can't just celebrate the fact that everybody finally wins and just has to air old grievances.

If there's one thing comics fans are renowned for, it's not their ability to let go of the past

That unfortunately includes past grievances. Some fans are so locked into fighting against each other, they don't know how to act when attempts are made at reconciliation.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, they're sticking to Wally looking like a kid again?
    No that's just the art

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I may be not remembering this correctly, but I thought there was some sort of speed force mumbo jumbo explanation of why he was de-aged way back in the DC-Rebirth Special.
    Dr. Manhattan messing with timeline, but that only means he's the same age as Dick, Donna, and the rest of the Titans in the mid-twenties, when they're supposed to be close to thirties. He was wearing the Kid Flash costume when he appeared, because in the New 52-Rebirth timeline, he went missing to the Speed Force when they were all still in Teen Titans.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For me, they had the obvious solution all along right in front of them. Barry--the Flash in the 31st century/Wally--the Flash in the 21st century.

Barry settles down with Iris in her home time of the future, they raise their children and grandchildren--and the Flash is the hero of that age. This gives an opening for the Legion of Super-Heroes to build an audience. And Barry can always time travel once a year for a crossover in the present.

Meanwhile, Wally is the Flash in the present.
    I actually really LOVE that idea!!
    It opens up all sorts of story avenues.

I think DC again missed a real chance to build a Flash family of titles here.
    Barry and Wally each in their own monthly title, Bart, Max, John and and the other speedsters featured in a Flash Quarterly title and then Jay and Jesse in the JSA title.
    Past, present & future all covered with the opportunity to crossover, timejump, dimension hop whatever the hell crazy science fiction stuff you wanna dream up.
    And there's so much story fodder there you wouldn't have to have Eobard Thawne show up for at LEAST the first year or so.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

That story has been told and told again ad infinitum, and everyone knows it by heart by now. This thread was started in the spirit of celebrating a new arrangement that does justice to fans of both Barry and Wally, and STILL people somehow can't just celebrate the fact that everybody finally wins and just has to air old grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If there's one thing comics fans are renowned for, it's not their ability to let go of the past

That unfortunately includes past grievances. Some fans are so locked into fighting against each other, they don't know how to act when attempts are made at reconciliation.
    As long as you guys are willing to concede that I have been absolutely right about absolutely everything for the past 10 to 12 years, I'm willing to only touch on the subject in conversations in which it is relevant.

Kidding aside, the bad man can't hurt us anymore and everyone has got their cake. Seriously, let's just enjoy the moment.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, they're sticking to Wally looking like a kid again?
    I think the confusion may come from the fact that in some panels he's much shorter/smaller than Barry and in others they're the same height and size. I freaking hate Howard Porter's art and I don't see what people see in him at all.

And while I like that Wally is the main Flash again (a lot), the story was written as if it were before CoIE wrt to the Barry/Wally relationship. Apart from one toss off line where Barry said that Wally had done a good job in the past, it felt like this was Wally's first time as the actual Flash. And Wally acted like it was too and he did seem like a kid when he did. In addition to not seeing what people like about Porter's art, I don't see what people see in Williamson's Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Unless they're on the JSA or in an alternate future/elseworld series then DC will never draw their characters as old. And sometimes they will go out of their way to make old characters young again.

DC loves that spot of between 16 to 40 for its characters.
    I remember reading a quote somewhere, way back in the 70s, possibly from Bob Rozakis in his "Ask the Answer Man" column, stating that all of the major Earth-One heroes were perpetually 28.

Hey, as a Barry fan who has spent years advocating to bring back Wally, I take some mild umbrage to that. When others (and don't bring up Dan Didio because I'm obviously not referring to him) show you grace, it's expected that you reciprocate with equal grace. I've said what I wanted to say here, so I'll leave it at that.

I fiercely wanted Barry back as The Flash and Barbara Gordon back as Batgirl. And then we got those things and I completely changed my mind. Once Barry was back, I really missed Wally as Flash and wished that Barry would be alive but not in the costume. That he would have supported Wally as the primary Flash and taken on a different role. It actually felt really disrespectful for Barry to swoop in and take Wally's gig away from him.

As for Barbara Gordon, I honestly had not seen a problem with her coming back as Batgirl. I was dying for her to be back that way. And then I got my wish and I immediately missed having a major hero that was permanently disabled. I guess it's cool that she's going to be Oracle again but the fact that she's also going to be Batgirl again still leaves us without a great, disabled character and it negates any reason for her to be Oracle in the first place. The great thing about Oracle was that she'd overcome that adversity and found another way to be a great hero.

On the other hand, I'm happy that Hal is back and I'm extremely happy that Ollie is. I loved GL Rebirth (the first Rebirth by Johns, not the more recent line-wide Rebirth) and the stories that followed and I never warmed to Kyle Rayner so it was win-win to me. I never really warmed to any new, 90s character, that decade being my least favorite in DC history. Similarly, nobody but nobody could take Ollie's place to me. I like Connor much better than I like Kyle but he's no Ollie.

But, even though Hal is back, I like him being somewhere away from the main DCU (as he was in Morrison's recent run) in favor of John Stewart, Jessica Cruz, and Simon Baz. That has something to do with representation but it has a lot more to do with how much I love those three characters.

Irrespective of my prior post, I love this win-win situation. Barry was my Flash but I love them both.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I was partial to them each being a Flash of a respective city, but this is genuinely dope. Each has something to do and it feels like while Wally is getting the solo book, Barry is kind of getting a promotion too; he's practically in the biggest League there is, which considering what he did in CoIE, he uniquely deserves alongside Kara.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

A Kamen Rider reference on CBR? What?
    "Cable was right!"