The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Default Mephisto's deal with Otto/Parker's soul

Spoilers if you haven't read ASM # 60 yet

At the end of Superior Spider-man second run, Mephisto offers Otto Octavius a deal to restore him to his former self in full health, effectively removing the Peter Parker portion of his cloned body, and presumably the moral compass, if there was one, that guided Otto's decisions. Mephisto seemed to downplay Parker's contribution to the Superior identity, but it seems clear that Otto accepting the deal played right into his plans.

Flash forward to ASM #60 and Doc Strange's query to Mephisto and what's wrong with Peter Parker's soul and I'm wondering if any relationship between these two events will be revealed, or is the Mephisto reveal just a red herring. It's possible Mephisto was satisfied with the OMD deal and delights in the constant resets in Peter's life. On the other hand, he seemed eager to rid the portion of Peter in Superior Spider-man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Spoilers if you haven't read ASM # 60 yet

At the end of Superior Spider-man second run, Mephisto offers Otto Octavius a deal to restore him to his former self in full health, effectively removing the Peter Parker portion of his cloned body, and presumably the moral compass, if there was one, that guided Otto's decisions. Mephisto seemed to downplay Parker's contribution to the Superior identity, but it seems clear that Otto accepting the deal played right into his plans.

Flash forward to ASM #60 and Doc Strange's query to Mephisto and what's wrong with Peter Parker's soul and I'm wondering if any relationship between these two events will be revealed, or is the Mephisto reveal just a red herring. It's possible Mephisto was satisfied with the OMD deal and delights in the constant resets in Peter's life. On the other hand, he seemed eager to rid the portion of Peter in Superior Spider-man.
    I do not think this was any coincidence. I am willing to bet that if OMD is actually ended, Otto will be part of the story ( especially because he has not popped up since Superior so he is due for a return engagement against Peter).

iMan 42s

I sincerely doubt it has any connection. I don't think Otto really has come up in all this and editorially was to hit the reset button on Otto so someone could use Doctor Octopus again. Ironically I think outside one example no one has.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I sincerely doubt it has any connection. I don't think Otto really has come up in all this and editorially was to hit the reset button on Otto so someone could use Doctor Octopus again. Ironically I think outside one example no one has.
    It's entirely possible there was no connection, however they could have gone any number of ways hitting the reset with Otto. I want to think it was more than just foreshadowing Mephisto's appearance in Spencer's run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    It's entirely possible there was no connection, however they could have gone any number of ways hitting the reset with Otto. I want to think it was more than just foreshadowing Mephisto's appearance in Spencer's run.
    If you do a ranking of Spider-Man ( Peter) rogues gallery. We have seen almost all of the Top 20 during Spencer’s run. The only ones missing are Hobgoblin ( Kingsley), Electro ( Dillion), Shocker, Sandman and of course, Otto. I find it hard to believe that Spencer will end his run without a crack at Otto. I could easily see an Otto led Sinister Six ( maybe with some of the others I mentioned ( especially Sandman)), and Mephisto being involved in it.

Fantastic Member

Gage has stated the ending was just a "tribute" to OMD and was always planned to happen, unless Spencer works that in I doubt theres no relation between the two, despite Otto being on Kindred's wall, he hasnt appeared since the end of the 2018 run.

Mighty Member

I find it strange at how it's been nearly 10 years since Ock was a straight up villain in a Spider-man book.
    I wonder if he'll return for the 60th anniversary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Gage has stated the ending was just a "tribute" to OMD and was always planned to happen, unless Spencer works that in I doubt theres no relation between the two, despite Otto being on Kindred's wall, he hasnt appeared since the end of the 2018 run.
    Did he use the word tribute, lol?

Did he seriously say "tribute"?

Also, I dunno if the fact that ending was planned all along makes it better or worse....

.......worse. Definitely worse.

Fantastic Member

The exact tweet, he didnt actually say tribute, my bad.

https://mobile.twitter.com/christosg...746143809536?l

BANNED

Fine enough.

Ugh, that seems worse.

OMD is one of the most reviled stories in Spider-Man history. Dunno why anyone would want to replicate it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Ugh, that seems worse.

OMD is one of the most reviled stories in Spider-Man history. Dunno why anyone would want to replicate it.
    It is not just Otto but Miles as well. For some reason Marvel likes to take bad stories like that and Clone Saga and repeat them. Maybe it is arrogance thinking they are masterminds who can take a lump of coal and turn it into a diamond, or they just like “Flipping The Bird” to fans or both. But there is a list of stories in Spider-Man alone that should either get fixed like Shed or transformed like Chapter One into Ultimate, or should be allowed to simply die and never come back. The stories I want dead are. 1: The Other. 2: Sins Past. 3: Clone Saga. 4: Abrams Spider-Man. I hope and pray OMD/BND ends up like Shed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    It is not just Otto but Miles as well. For some reason Marvel likes to take bad stories like that and Clone Saga and repeat them. Maybe it is arrogance thinking they are masterminds who can take a lump of coal and turn it into a diamond, or they just like “Flipping The Bird” to fans or both. But there is a list of stories in Spider-Man alone that should either get fixed like Shed or transformed like Chapter One into Ultimate, or should be allowed to simply die and never come back. The stories I want dead are. 1: The Other. 2: Sins Past. 3: Clone Saga. 4: Abrams Spider-Man. I hope and pray OMD/BND ends up like Shed.
    Honestly, half those stories are dead anyway. The Other was pretty much retconned, Abrams Spider-man was never canon and it died before it was released.
    Sins Past still hasn't been retconned, but it's never had a big enough follow up for People to care.

I have a theory where Slott always wanted to do the Clone Saga as he recreated 3 times (4 if you include Soider-geddon)