Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I have enjoyed this series - it tells the tale of a teenage mutant dealing with expectations of adult society (more overtly, with the reputation of the old Cable to live up to). It is light and refreshing, yet it plays nicely with Hickman's overall X-men direction and could only exist in Hickman's X-universe. In contrast, Wolverine's solo series is largely disconnected from the Krakoan nation at large, and could have existed in other X-men era's with only slight modifications. The events in X-Force largely go unreferenced/aren't connected to other X-series either.

I don't understand the impatience to bring back the original Cable. Even if Kid Cable isn't your cup of tea, all it requires is patience to wait for the return of old Cable, and soon enough it will just be another rehash of the same Cable stories (Cable vs Stryfe).

Replace your favorite with a kid version who is nothing like him/her. Then tell yourself to be patient as you wait years for that story to finally play out. If you can do this easily, you are indeed more patient than most people so congratulations on that.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Remember when they did that with Magneto? Thanks, Marvel.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Cable is a alpha male character whose preliminary designs are what we see today as in 21st Century. He is the cyberpunk OG that isn't suppose to be filled by some punk kid of 16 or 17. There are modern games like 2077 who were inspired by this take. Although I think he should have a new look like all other x-characters.
    How is Cable supposed to relate to the Cyberpunk genre and what does Cyberpunk 2077 have to do with any of it? It's not like it's breaking any trend as much as it tries to play as many points straight. As little controll as the player has in defining V's personality, they don't seem too different from those in the backround of 2013 and 2020.

Because as far as i'm aware the main characters in works of the cyberpunk genre tend to be normal sized or downright skinny because of an unhealthy lifestyle and come in all kinds of forms from jaded old veterans to young hotheaded newcommers and everything in between.

Meanwhile Cable seems clearly more inspired by cheesy action movies of the 80's like those done by Schwarzenegger, Stallone or Lundgren or at least the british pulp action comics like AD 2000 of the same era.

Just curious why (besides the obvious reason) this comparison?
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-08-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    There does seem to be a lot of people wishing doom upon the books they don't personally enjoy. Have they started putting rage hormones in the water supply or something?
    It really is a problem on these boards.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    How is Cable supposed to relate to the Cyberpunk genre and what does Cyberpunk 2077 have to do with any of it? It's not like it's breaking any trend as much as it tries to play as many points straight. As little controll as the player has in defining V's personality, they don't seem too different from those in the backround of 2013 and 2020.

Because as far as i'm aware the main characters in works of the cyberpunk genre tend to be normal sized or downright skinny because of an unhealthy lifestyle and come in all kinds of forms from jaded old veterans to young hotheaded newcommers and everything in between.

Meanwhile Cable seems clearly more inspired by cheesy action movies of the 80's like those done by Schwarzenegger, Stallone or Lundgren or at least the british pulp action comics like AD 2000 of the same era.

And Wolverine was originally a teenager under his mask and also a mutated Wolverine. Characters evolve, thankfully.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-08-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Replace your favorite with a kid version who is nothing like him/her. Then tell yourself to be patient as you wait years for that story to finally play out. If you can do this easily, you are indeed more patient than most people so congratulations on that.
    They did that with all my favorites. Jean, Cable and Angel. It wasnt the end of the world

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

I was talking about looks and personality. Guys like Johnny Silverhand certainly had a inspiration from the likes of Cable. It's true that Cable as a character is more relatable to Judge Dredd. That's my perspective about the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They did that with all my favorites. Jean, Cable and Angel. It wasnt the end of the world
    Of course not. No one is saying that it is. But when discussing comics on these boards, I talk about things I like and things I don’t like. Wanting Kid Cable’s arc to hurry up and wrap up so that the adult version can return is definitely in my list of wants, and yes I’m sure it comes across as impatiently so. But if I gave the impression that my life isn’t going on just fine, despite the pandemic and everything else, I apologize. Comics is a hobby for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Not the end of the world, but damn glad to be getting the old silver-haired Cable back.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I have enjoyed this series - it tells the tale of a teenage mutant dealing with expectations of adult society (more overtly, with the reputation of the old Cable to live up to). It is light and refreshing, yet it plays nicely with Hickman's overall X-men direction and could only exist in Hickman's X-universe. In contrast, Wolverine's solo series is largely disconnected from the Krakoan nation at large, and could have existed in other X-men era's with only slight modifications. The events in X-Force largely go unreferenced/aren't connected to other X-series either.

I don't understand the impatience to bring back the original Cable. Even if Kid Cable isn't your cup of tea, all it requires is patience to wait for the return of old Cable, and soon enough it will just be another rehash of the same Cable stories (Cable vs Stryfe).
    it has been Cable vs Stryfe since Kid Cable starred on X-force and it continues to be it. Nothing changed

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    it has been Cable vs Stryfe since Kid Cable starred on X-force and it continues to be it. Nothing changed
    Ha. Excellent point! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Right! I know I’m gonna go on these boards ready to discuss my favorite book on Wednesday and someone is gonna try to ruin it for me as if there’s not 10 other X-books to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    There does seem to be a lot of people wishing doom upon the books they don't personally enjoy. Have they started putting rage hormones in the water supply or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I've seen it beyond the boards.

Personally, I mostly don't care if Cable or Excalibur or whatever book lasts 100 years or ends tomorrow. It only becomes an issue to me if it's damaging things I care about. From there, circumstances affect my reaction. Something in the vein of "cancel the book" is a last resort option for me if the situation is bad enough and there's no other way out. If the damage done is catastrophic, like with how bad 3rd Birthday was to Aya Brea, I start demanding new work with the express goal of undoing the damage.

Other scenario where I care about performance of other books is as a point of comparison for treatment of things I care about. Not to try to end the book, but to expose double standards.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Remember when they did that with Magneto? Thanks, Marvel.
    Yea Joseph was a judge letdown.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I was talking about looks and personality. Guys like Johnny Silverhand certainly had a inspiration from the likes of Cable. It's true that Cable as a character is more relatable to Judge Dredd. That's my perspective about the character.
    Johnny Silverhand predates Cable by at least two years (Welcome to Night City 1988 vs. New Mutants #86 1990).

Silverhand also seems much more inspired by classic male rockstars of the 70's and 80's, combined with anti-establishment attitude of the punk rock culture (also a bit of jaded vietnam veteran mixed in). Infact the artwork for 2020 depicts Silverhand as a stereotypical handsome looking 80's rock artist, much closer to a character from an 80's anime like Megazone 23 than the hulking pile of muscles wielding giant guns that was original Cable.
    2077 meanwhile seems to have gone with an "aged rockstar" look inspired by Iggy Pop, Lemmy from Motörhead or even Keith Richards, essentialy roughing him up visualy to fit the modern concept of a wild rockstar of the past.
    Silverhand is also much more egoistic and self centered than Cable and lacking both longterm thinking and actual goal, only wanting chaos and uproar rather than trying to achieve anything reasonable, while Cable was all about his cause and trying to prepare the New Mutants for a rough future ahead.

In terms of look the only connection is a mechanic arm, but those are a standard of the cyberpunk genre anyway. The closest character to original Cable in the 2013/2020 setting would be Morgan Blackhand. Both being pragmatic anti-heroic urban mercenaries. But even then they seem to come from quite different directions and inspirations.

But this in turn is just my perspective too.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-08-2021 at 04:31 PM.