Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They did that with all my favorites. Jean, Cable and Angel. It wasnt the end of the world
    Yeah, but different cases- Jean was long dead when Teen showed up, Angel was rebooted as a consequence of a great story. Cable was murdered by his younger self because he had become "soft"- and then went to star in a book clearly designed for nostalgia appeal for people that like 90's Cable.

I couldn't stand the teen O5, so I empathize all the Cable fans in this situation. Nothing wrong with wanting your fave back.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    If the damage done is catastrophic, like with how bad 3rd Birthday was to Aya Brea, I start demanding new work with the express goal of undoing the damage.
    Aaay, I got that reference!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Meanwhile Cable seems clearly more inspired by cheesy action movies of the 80's like those done by Schwarzenegger, Stallone or Lundgren or at least the british pulp action comics like AD 2000 of the same era.
    I said this earlier but someone taught I was attacking Cable, Cable is this 6'8 muscle-bound dude with huge guns and because of that design, he sometimes gets used an action relic of the past. And every time I tried to explain I want to see kid cable grow into 6'3 or 6'4(still a pretty big dude) modern soldier tactical type like a Jason bourne/Tyler Rake it was met wahhh wahhh kid cable is bad missing what I was saying.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-08-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Yeah, okay. So you want to make him about 4-5 inches shorter. That works. As long as he’s a grownup. No more of this kid $#!t. In that case, I fully support.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-08-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Incredible Member

I mean, if they want a younger Cable, they could always just bring in Traveler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, okay. So you want to make him about 4-5 inches shorter. That works. As long as he’s a grownup. No more of this kid $#!t. In that case, I fully support.
    Yeah that is what I have been saying all time, Don't go back to "Old" Cable version but age up kiddie cable until he is like 25, bring his proportions closer to those of average male but still a big dude like Cavil or Hemsworth, less futuristic guns more realistic guns, more black ops less commando style stuff.

Anyways while you are waiting for Cable to come back there is book written Keanu Reeves & Matt Kindt drawn by Ron Garney called BRZRKR, It should be right up your alley it is Wolverine/Old Guard as John Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Of course not. No one is saying that it is. But when discussing comics on these boards, I talk about things I like and things I don’t like. Wanting Kid Cable’s arc to hurry up and wrap up so that the adult version can return is definitely in my list of wants, and yes I’m sure it comes across as impatiently so. But if I gave the impression that my life isn’t going on just fine, despite the pandemic and everything else, I apologize. Comics is a hobby for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Not the end of the world, but damn glad to be getting the old silver-haired Cable back.
    You have a passion for OG Cable, as do I. I enjoy reading your posts about him!

Like you said, what if other peoples favorite character was replaced by their younger self. Not just replaced but Taken out.

It sucked bad the last couple of years. Especially for me, as I was worried this would be for a Long, Long time. If not forever.
    Last edited by cable guy; 03-09-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I said this earlier but someone taught I was attacking Cable, Cable is this 6'8 muscle-bound dude with huge guns and because of that design, he sometimes gets used an action relic of the past. And every time I tried to explain I want to see kid cable grow into 6'3 or 6'4(still a pretty big dude) modern soldier tactical type like a Jason bourne/Tyler Rake it was met wahhh wahhh kid cable is bad missing what I was saying.
    I'm down with this. I definitely don't think anyone has drawn him that big in a looooong time, and he doesn't need to be 6'8". I like where you're going with him still being taller than Scott but not needing to be an entire giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I'm down with this. I definitely don't think anyone has drawn him that big in a looooong time, and he doesn't need to be 6'8". I like where you're going with him still being taller than Scott but not needing to be an entire giant.
    I totally agree with this as well.

I never really liked the idea of him being 6'8". That's more of the power house brick status.

But yeah, still taller than Scott or most X-Men would be great.

Yeah that is what I have been saying all time, Don't go back to "Old" Cable version but age up kiddie cable until he is like 25, bring his proportions closer to those of average male but still a big dude like Cavil or Hemsworth, less futuristic guns more realistic guns, more black ops less commando style stuff.
    I'd be down for this!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Johnny Silverhand predates Cable by at least two years (Welcome to Night City 1988 vs. New Mutants #86 1990).

Silverhand also seems much more inspired by classic male rockstars of the 70's and 80's, combined with anti-establishment attitude of the punk rock culture (also a bit of jaded vietnam veteran mixed in). Infact the artwork for 2020 depicts Silverhand as a stereotypical handsome looking 80's rock artist, much closer to a character from an 80's anime like Megazone 23 than the hulking pile of muscles wielding giant guns that was original Cable.
    2077 meanwhile seems to have gone with an "aged rockstar" look inspired by Iggy Pop, Lemmy from Motörhead or even Keith Richards, essentialy roughing him up visualy to fit the modern concept of a wild rockstar of the past.
    Silverhand is also much more egoistic and self centered than Cable and lacking both longterm thinking and actual goal, only wanting chaos and uproar rather than trying to achieve anything reasonable, while Cable was all about his cause and trying to prepare the New Mutants for a rough future ahead.

In terms of look the only connection is a mechanic arm, but those are a standard of the cyberpunk genre anyway. The closest character to original Cable in the 2013/2020 setting would be Morgan Blackhand. Both being pragmatic anti-heroic urban mercenaries. But even then they seem to come from quite different directions and inspirations.

But this in turn is just my perspective too.
    What I see from both of them is that despite their difference in character(which you have already mentioned), they both are inspired by different classics but yet they came from a futuristic setup to somewhat present. Obviously with respect to continuity(from 2077 or X-Men) Cable is from the future and Johnny is from the past but that's exactly why I think they are aged through time. I don't know if this at all make sense to you bc it's hard to describe.
    Also Silverhand is also quite pragmatic when you think about it. When he came back from the dead, he was quite realistic about the situation at hand and he wasn't the self-centered person anymore. That was his past.
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-09-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Anyways while you are waiting for Cable to come back there is book written Keanu Reeves & Matt Kindt drawn by Ron Garney called BRZRKR, It should be right up your alley it is Wolverine/Old Guard as John Wick.
    That does indeed sound right up my alley. Thanks. Will give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I'd be down for this!
    Same here. I never said he needed to be an old man. In fact, he wasn’t an old man until he spent 17 years in the future raising Hope. And even then, I thought they de-aged him some in the Split Second mini series (which kind of merged Cables from different timelines to give us default Cable back with the T-O virus and everything). He certainly appeared younger during Duggan’s Uncanny Avengers run and looked more like he was back in his prime.

Regardless, I’d love to see him back around the age he was when he first appeared in the 90s, which was 40-45 years old as per Liefeld’s original concept sketch...

Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Spectacular Member

I don’t think the end of this book necessarily mean the return of old Cable. It’s not like he could sustain a solo either, the last attempt despite being a Cable and X-force didn’t fare very well. Young Cable is on S.W.O.R.D. and features often on Hickman’s X-Men, that seems to particularly enjoy writing the dynamics between him and Scott/Jean and him and Rachel; I see young Cable still be here after the end of the book quite more probable than the old one coming back.

The old one is coming back. For sure. He’s even mentioned as being back in the solicit for issue #12, and Kid Cable’s arc is coming to a close. Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    I totally agree with this as well.

I never really liked the idea of him being 6'8". That's more of the power house brick status.

But yeah, still taller than Scott or most X-Men would be great.
    Cable being taller than everyone is one of the trademarks of character, I relly don't know why people find any problem with it

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    I don’t think the end of this book necessarily mean the return of old Cable. It’s not like he could sustain a solo either, the last attempt despite being a Cable and X-force didn’t fare very well. Young Cable is on S.W.O.R.D. and features often on Hickman’s X-Men, that seems to particularly enjoy writing the dynamics between him and Scott/Jean and him and Rachel; I see young Cable still be here after the end of the book quite more probable than the old one coming back.
    Cable and te x-force actualy sold well. It got cancele because of x-men implosion because Marvel stopped investing on the line